embarrasing "mans" question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

embarrasing "mans" question...

Ok, so this is really silly but here it goes. I've started getting a little more gutsy with jumps lately and today I had one where my feet came off the pedals mid air and I landed straight on my boys when I came down. I was done riding for about 20 minutes trying to recover lol.... I wear bike shorts under longer cargo type shorts and they have a little padding in the butt and that's about it. Other than learning to land right, is this just the growing pains of learning to jump? lol..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yup. I am just starting like you. Make sure your seat is as low as possible. I am thinking about cutting my stock post to see if I can lower it even more. I had something similar happen but in mid air from tucking the bike up under me. Use those legs to absorb as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You might need better shoes /pedals, the stock peddles on lower end bikes aren't very sticky most sneakers aren't either. A lot of rides use a after market pedal. I run clipless ,my feet rarely leave the pedals until I want them to.

Just Ride
    Learn how to bunny hop. Will help your feet "stick" to the pedals better. My feet never leave the pedals in mid air. Though upon landing sometimes they slip off. I know I need new pedals and shoes however. I learned how to jump when I was young, like riding a bike, you never forget. Riding clipless is cheating IMO. As far as jumps and bunny hops go.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I forgot to add that I ride with 5.10 freeriders and pretty gnarly pedals. My feet don't slip at all, it just happened where when I landed my feet went goofy and I had no leg support lol....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    ouch crosses his legs

i think got to more with technique so you have pressure down on both the pedals when you jump so they don't slip off

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    niicceeeee

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
    Other than learning to land right, is this just the growing pains of learning to jump? lol..
    Pretty much, this is one of those things that just happens if you do enough jumps & drops. There's another fun one called getting "boned", that's when you get rectally violated by the nose of the saddle.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    maybe wear a cup if you are really concerned. can't imagine how much chafing that would be, though.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Uh - first your feet came off mid-air, then it happened when you landed? I'm confused...

for others wondering how to keep their feet on in mid-air - point your toes down, press back against the pedals a little. The force to generate some friction has to come from somewhere.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    I run clipless ,my feet rarely leave the pedals until I want them to.
    Er, you're not suggesting using clipless for a guy who's jumping around now are you? It's gonna pretty painful for the hands.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Uh - first your feet came off mid-air, then it happened when you landed? I'm confused...

for others wondering how to keep their feet on in mid-air - point your toes down, press back against the pedals a little. The force to generate some friction has to come from somewhere.
    I guess I did make that a little confusing, sorry.

bikexor
    +1 on down and back with toes. Also think about squeezing you legs together in the air. When your body feels out-of-balance it wants to correct itself by throwing arms and legs out to change you center of gravity. If you come off a jump cocked slightly left or right the tendency would be to kick the opposite leg out to try to recenter your body, AVOID that reaction.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Well, the answer is, if you lose both pedals in mid-air, you're gonna get what you got (or worse)! No padded shorts or other protective gear is likely to save you. Only solution is to try to keep contact with the pedals in the air next time (good suggetions above). FWIW, it isn't really a clipless pedal issue, as I don't think I've ever lost either pedal, let alone both, in the air on my flats.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Texan
    Get your arse off the seat and bend at the knees.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Get your arse off the seat and bend at the knees.

Really? wow thanks Sensei!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't work real well when you're heading down the mountain and my butt is pretty much over my rear tire the whole time.

I rode yesterday and hit the same jump 3 times and found that loading up the suspension right before the jump seems to help a lot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Theres your issue, having your butt over your back tire is leaving you unbalanced on your bike. Get in the attack position and that will help immensely. Then when you come of the jump you need to feel what your bike is doing underneath you and let it come up into then push down through your pedals for the landing

mtbr member
    I run FiveTens with DMR Vault pedals and my feet never slip or come off it really does make a huge difference

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    With enough jumps/drops....its going to happen. After awhile youll feel everything going down before it happens. Im not sure how it would work really on a downhill run but if my feet come off the pedals mid jump I can usually feel whether or not im going to be able to recover. If I cant, I bail, the bike goes one way and I go the other. I was probably 14 the last time I racked myself. If you are just squishing the apples between ur gooch and the seat, wear some tighter shorts that keeps everything "tidy". Also, they make foam rubber pads for top tubes on bmx bikes. most of these would fit the top tube of a mountain bike to with some adjustment. They hardly weigh anything and are a decent source of padding until you get more comfortable.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I wear Nike running shorts that have a built in silky "hammock" and it keeps the boys up lol

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Clipless pedals and learn to launch.

Texan
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
    Really? wow thanks Sensei!
    I'm serious! Ever see a MXer take a jump without getting out of the seat? If your doing jumps, lower your saddle from the XC position and bend your knees. Keep the boys from danger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WarBoom View Post
    I wear Nike running shorts that have a built in silky "hammock" and it keeps the boys up lol
    LOL! Won't help the prevent the OP's problem, but might help the boys feel a little better after.