Dumb question about my butt,..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dumb question about my butt,..

So this weekend makes 1yr that I've been MTB'ing. Love it btw. But something I noticed yesterday. When I sit on my seat (WTB Pure), my sit bones are on the pads. But after several miles, I tend to slide foward a bit to give my sit bones an air space of relief. KWIM? I'm not sure if my padded shorts have expired out now, or maybe the seat is wrong, or I'm just sitting all wrong? I do feel a slight burning fatigue on my sit bones when Im on them for miles at a time. Which is why I slide foward. Any thoughts?,..yeah, and sure,..throw the butt jokes out there too,..I could use a good laugh on a day like today

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sounds like your saddle is not level or too far back. Your saddle should be nose up by a degree or three. Place a long straight edge on your saddle, buy the time the straight edge gets to the stem, you should see that it is pointed up! move your saddle forward. Buy a SMP saddle, problem solved...

mtbr member
    Thx, I'll chech out the SMP stuff. But I'm sorry, I meant to say that I purposly slide foward to get relief. Not that it's taken place w/o my knowledge. Guess I need a lil'cushier seat.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    I dont think cushyness is what you're looking for. Sometimes the really plush, wide seats are the most uncomfortable ones. I think what you really need is a saddle that fits your sitbones more precisely.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GFAthens
    I dont think cushyness is what you're looking for. Sometimes the really plush, wide seats are the most uncomfortable ones. I think what you really need is a saddle that fits your sitbones more precisely.

Very true. Most bike shop can measure your sit bones for the proper width saddle. After that, you still have many different saddles to choose from.

The other poster mentioned saddle tilt. If your saddle it tilted back a couple of degrees too far, you can experience much pain. For most people, the saddle is either level or tilted 1 or 2 degrees up OR down. This is a personal fit issue. There's no right or wrong way to adjust saddle tilt. Also the amount of tilt that you put on your saddle will generally differ with different saddles, but it's always close to being level.

I too, have also found that less padding equals more comfort. Some people will feel the opposite to be true.

Trek and Specialized generally have saddles in three different sit bone widths. But in reality,for everyone to get a perfect fit, you may need 50 different saddle sizes to get a good fit for everyone.

Imagine if shoes were sold in only S, M and L. That means the vast majority of people would be walking around with sore feet. Even if the amount of different saddle sizes was only doubled, it would more than double the amount of people walking around with happy butts

mtbr member
    Over the years my ass has taken a pounding

But seriously, it has... from the bike. And I don't notice it anymore. It's just one of those things that you have to build up strength or tolerance to.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingaddict

But seriously, it has... from the bike. And I don't notice it anymore. It's just one of those things that you have to build up strength or tolerance to.

No doubt the seat fits you well. You're one of the lucky ones.

T.W.O
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingaddict
    I would use better choice words if I were you, someone might assume something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dadstoy
    Thx, I'll chech out the SMP stuff. But I'm sorry, I meant to say that I purposly slide foward to get relief. Not that it's taken place w/o my knowledge. Guess I need a lil'cushier seat.
    Your current seat is 145mm wide and you're sliding forward for comfort where the seat is not as wide. I'd say get a saddle that's between 128mm and 140mm wide. The WTB Rocket V is narrow at 128mm as well as the WTB Silverado at 133mm. Even a 10mm difference in width can make a big difference in comfort.
    Don't forget to experiment with the saddle tilt when you get the new one. You'll be very surprised how much a saddle can hurt you by being tilted up only 1/8" more than it should be. If it's tilted a little too far down,it won't hurt your butt but it will hurt your hands and/of forearms.

As a general rule of thumb, never adjust saddle tilt more than 1/8" at a time. That small 1/8" difference is often the difference between comfortable and uncomfortable.

Trail Ninja
    If you're on the saddle and you're not sitting on your sit bones, you're probably going to be having trouble making babies or running the same issues Lance Armstrong had... unless you had some outrageously designed saddle designed to not contact your sit bones.

You can relieve the pressure on your sit bones by getting stronger legs, core/midsection, and general upper body strength. When these muscles tire, you tend to hold up less of your weight, which ends up accumulating where ever you contact your bike (wrists/hands, feet, and ass). It's kind of the same feeling when you've run for a while and don't have strength to keep your body upright. You feel even more sluggish. You can sit up straight and proper or you can slump in a chair... kind of the same concept.

I personally like wider saddle since they support more than just the sit bones. I also prefer firm padding, especially for long rides. WTB padding is relatively firm/dense, which I am a fan of.

As for fit and setup, if your saddle is much lower than your handlebars and you're really upright, then a lot more of your weight is resting on your saddle. I prefer to have my handlebars about level with the saddle to split the better. Saddle tilt, i prefer to have level considering suspension. Saddle fore/aft positioning, I prefer to balance in regards to "cockpit length" (distance from saddle to grips).

Members who have read this thread: 0