LAZ
    mtbr member

Does anyone use a seatpost w/ a shock

Love my new hardtail but was thinking of getting one. Was wondering if anyone uses one and if so, what kind and do you like it?

Thanks

Made in Canada
    I can't speak personally, but I know someone that uses a rock shox seat post on their hardtail and they absolutely love it. I've ridden the bike and it seems to work great but I personally prefer riding w/o one.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

Under New Management
    Take a look at the Thudbuster from Cane Creek.

http://www.canecreek.com/suspension-seatposts.html

I've ridden a friends bike that had one - It was very, very nice.

Probably drunk right now

I've ridden one...

I've ridden a Thudbuster. They're pretty nice and take the edge off a HT. They will not replace a dialed in, FS bike.

I don't know what they cost these days. My only complaint is that they're a mechanically moving device and after a while, side to side play devloped in the pivot bushings. Still functional. Still worked well.

LAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    I've ridden a Thudbuster. They're pretty nice and take the edge off a HT. They will not replace a dialed in, FS bike.

I don't know what they cost these days. My only complaint is that they're a mechanically moving device and after a while, side to side play devloped in the pivot bushings. Still functional. Still worked well.
    Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah, just looking at taking the edge off a little. The Thudbuster looks sweet. Not sure if I will notice the weight it adds though.

Probably drunk right now

Weight and myths associated with weight....

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ
    Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah, just looking at taking the edge off a little. The Thudbuster looks sweet. Not sure if I will notice the weight it adds though.
    If you're under 10% body fat and you're looking at riding 4+ hours each day or you're racing competively, then you should worry about weight.

If you fall in to the other 99% of us, then weight is less important than function.

Something else to keep in mind: A regular sized paperclip weighs in at about a gram. It takes a lot of paperclips to add significant weight to your bike when comparing components. I don't know the difference between a Thudbuster and a standard seatpost, but I doubt it's significant on your bike.

Last thought on weight: Rotational weight (tires, wheels, etc) will make a bigger impact than static (seatpost, bars, etc). So if you're really worried about weight, look to the wheels and tires to get the most weight loss bang for the buck.

LAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    If you're under 10% body fat and you're looking at riding 4+ hours each day or you're racing competively, then you should worry about weight.

If you fall in to the other 99% of us, then weight is less important than function.

Something else to keep in mind: A regular sized paperclip weighs in at about a gram. It takes a lot of paperclips to add significant weight to your bike when comparing components. I don't know the difference between a Thudbuster and a standard seatpost, but I doubt it's significant on your bike.

Last thought on weight: Rotational weight (tires, wheels, etc) will make a bigger impact than static (seatpost, bars, etc). So if you're really worried about weight, look to the wheels and tires to get the most weight loss bang for the buck.
    Yeah, I fit the other 99% mold.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sounds like a good option to me. I've never tried one out, but I think I'm going to now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a friend just used a Thudbuster in a 24hr race (solo) and she really liked it (having done it last year without). I'm saving up - not for all the time, just for that kind of event.

mtbr member
    Yep, they work pretty good for taking the "edge" off of bumps. I had one before going full suspension.

Just don't start hitting massive g-outs and landing jumps while sitting down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I actually have two. One is a Kalloy Guizzo on my road bike. It is a telescoping post and it sucks pretty bad. There is so much stiction in it that it barely moves. I have been riding with it for a few months and I am going to take it off since it really is useless. On my hardtail I have a thudbuster ST. The thudbuster is awesome. It really softens things up a lot and really makes my bike more comfortable. It also allows me to sit while climbing rough inclines, which gives me a lot more traction. It weighs about 450 grams, a regular seatpost weighs maybe 250. So it adds about half a pound. It is noticeable when I lift my bike, but not really while riding. And the fact that it softens things up you won't feel as drained from a ride as you normally would, so there will still be energy left in the tank near the end of a ride, so the extra weight is worth it.

Live Long, Ride Hard
    Feb 2008
    I would highly recommend a Thudbuster. I have one one my old skool rigid stumpjumper and honestly I don't know what I would do without it.
    Semper Fi

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I picked up a NOS Rockshox suspension seat post a couple of years ago on ebay for about $45.00 to use on my hardtail. It makes a noticeable difference on the small sharp impacts. It does add a little bit of weight but I think it's well worth it. I would recommend a Rockshox, White Bros., USE or Thudbuster, they all work well. Stay away from the cheap ones, they are heavy, have limited travel and lots of stiction.

Dirt Deviant
    The thudbuster is 565g
    A Thompson Elite is 293g
    Easton EA 30 is 275-290 grams
    It's not a huge weight difference. 440 grams in a pound.
    Here is a good looking deal for anyone wanting to try one. Looks pretty cool, read all the specs............http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...n-Seatpost.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    The thudbuster is 565g
    A Thompson Elite is 293g
    Easton EA 30 is 275-290 grams
    It's not a huge weight difference. 440 grams in a pound.
    Here is a good looking deal for anyone wanting to try one. Looks pretty cool, read all the specs............http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/166...n-Seatpost.htm
    Are there any actual reviews on this Sette post?

Rod
    mtbr member
    I doubt it even though I haven't checked.....most Sette products don't have any reviews yet
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    I purchased a suspension seatpost that appears similar in design to the Sette product. It was fine while it worked, but poor seals &/or poorly fitted seals became a problem, with the unit losing pressure and collapsing under my massive 150 lb weight. Thus it was eventually shelved. Nothing that some new O-rings and some time on a lathe wouldn't fix, but for my local trails & XC riding a carbon post woks fine for taking the edge off the really small stuff. The Sette product may be of better quality, so don't let me dissuade you if that is what you wish to purchase, but be aware that the air suspension system is not without problems if not well made.
    "The grass (on the other side) may be greener, but it's just as hard to mow..." - John Butler Trio, "Better than".

Members who have read this thread: 0