Do I need lockout?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Do I need lockout?

Upgrading from the world of dept store bikes. I've narrowed down my purchase to 2 bikes. The main difference that I can identify between the two bikes is $100 and a lockout feature in the 700HT. I will be doing some riding on asphalt with my wife...does this make it worth the $100 to get the bike with the lockout feature? Also, if there are other differences between the models I would love to hear if you think the added price is worth the differences. Thanks in advance.

2009 Windsor Cliff 4900
    Frame 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Trail Tuned Geometry with replaceable rear derailleur hanger and Double Diamond profile Aluminum downtube with reinforced downtube gusset.
    Fork RockShox Dart 2 with Hydraulic damping (Disc Brake mounts)
    Crankset TruVativ 5D Aluminum Triple 22/32/42 or 22/32/44T (no choice)
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
    Pedals ATB Beartrap Al/Composite
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT Long cage
    Shifters Shimano Deore Mega 9 Speed Trigger shift Pods (27 speeds total)
    Cassette/Freewheel 11-32t 9 Speed
    Chain Z9000 Super Narrow
    Hubs Gravity Disc Aluminum (black finish) 36 spoke
    Spokes 36 Stainless Steel 14 gauge Black
    Rims Alex DP17 Disc Specific Double Wall 6061T6 Aluminum Black Anodized
    (Some rims have no decals (no choice))
    Tires WTB Velociraptor Blackwall 26 x 2.10
    Brakes Tektro IO Mechanical Disc Brakes with 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Tektro for Disc Brake
    Headset Integrated 1 1/8 Ahead Sealed
    Handlebar Windsor Comp Aluminum Riser
    Stem Windsor Comp Threadless Aluminum
    Tape/Grip WTB Dual Compound
    Saddle WTB Speed V
    Seat Post Windsor Aluminum Micro-Adjust
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR
    Sizes 15", 17" 19", 20.5", 22" Sizing Chart
    Colors Black
    Our low price is $399.95 Compare at $995 List
    OUR FINAL CLEARANCE PRICING

Motobecane 700HT 2010
    Frame Custom 7005 Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY frame, box section chainstays, bi-axial gussetted downtube, sculpted rear dropouts with replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses, International Standard rear disc mounts Detailed Picture Gallery
    Fork RockShox Dart 2 Adjustable with Advanced LockOut (crown-mount lever)
    Crankset TruVativ 5D Aluminum Triple 22/32/42T 175mm (TruShift Rings)
    Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge
    Pedals ATB Beartrap (metal cages)
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore Mega 9 top swing
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT long cage
    Shifters Shimano Deore Mega 9 Speed STI Rapidfire Pods (27 speeds total)
    Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 11-32T 9 Speed Hyperglide
    Chain 9 Speed Z9000 Super Narrow
    Hubs Formula DiscSpecific Aluminum (black) Sealed Ball Bearing mechanism
    Spokes Stainless Steel
    Rims WTB SpeedDisc Rims Double Wall Aluminum
    Tires WTB Velociraptor Blackwall 26 x 2.10
    Brakes TEKTRO AQUILA Mechanical Disc Brakes with Multi Pad Angle adjustments
    Brake Levers Tektro for Disc
    Headset Cane Creek Internal Sealed caged ball bearing VP A42E 1.125 inch
    Handlebar Skye Comp Aluminum Riser
    Stem Skye Comp Threadless Aluminum
    Tape/Grip WTB Dual Compound
    Saddle WTB Speed V with comfort groove
    Seat Post Skye Aluminum Micro-Adjust
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR
    Sizes 15, 17, 19, 21, 23 inch
    Colors Polished Silver Detailed Picture Gallery
    Our low price is $499.95 Compare at $1195 MSRP

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    As I said in a similar thread, you're probably going to want the front fork for a lot of street riding situations. Uneven asphalt, potholes, graded roads, jumping curbs, etc... And it won't take away too much energy.

The lockout is more of a convenience for when you're riding up a steep hill. Although not ever completely necessary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks and sorry my searches didn't yield the other thread. I am definitely leaning towards the Windsor. Anyone have info that might sway me the other way?

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Wow, those are some great deals. You can't go wrong with BikesDirect.

MTB skillz = NADA
    I have lockout on my fork and don't use it.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Lockout is not worth the $100, especially if you're not going to do a lot of gravel/paved riding with the bike. Now the Tektro Aquila brakes are going to be a step above the Tektro IO, but again, I don't think it's worth the $100. For $100, you can get some excellent Avid BB7 mechs which are far superior. But I say get the Cliff, and upgrade what you hate. If the brakes are OK, then just ride! $400 is a damn good price for those components.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Lockout is not worth the $100, especially if you're not going to do a lot of gravel/paved riding with the bike. Now the Tektro Aquila brakes are going to be a step above the Tektro IO, but again, I don't think it's worth the $100. For $100, you can get some excellent Avid BB7 mechs which are far superior. But I say get the Cliff, and upgrade what you hate. If the brakes are OK, then just ride! $400 is a damn good price for those components.
    Exactly. That would be easily 1g elsewhere with those components.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, be aware that it will come with some cheap components that may or may not be to your liking. My Cliff 29er Pro came with the following cheapo parts:

Seatpost & Collar
    Stem
    Handlebars

The seatpost failed on me, but BD sent me a replacement within a couple days of contacting me. Other than that, the parts work fine, but are not branded if that's important to you. They are just no-name bargain parts, so don't be surprised by that. I think the Motobecane line has "Skye" branded parts. Probably the same stuff, but with a label on it.

Master of the Universe!
    Apr 2008
    The Moto has a slightly lighter stronger aluminum alloy than the Windsor. It sounds like the Moto also gives you the option of replacing the front chainrings (I could be wrong though). You also get some niceties with the sealed hubs. I would ride both and choose the one that feels more comfortable. If you are happy spending and extra $100 go for it. $400-$500 isn't that much anyway.

Bike Addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayBeard Pirate
    I have lockout on my fork and don't use it.
    +1 Same here.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tsmosher
    As I said in a similar thread, you're probably going to want the front fork for a lot of street riding situations. Uneven asphalt, potholes, graded roads, jumping curbs, etc... And it won't take away too much energy.

The lockout is more of a convenience for when you're riding up a steep hill. Although not ever completely necessary.
    I find a lockout useful sometimes, but I don't think I would pay an extra $100 for it on that bike. If I were to spend another $100, it would be for a better overall build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by djr8505
    The Moto has a slightly lighter stronger aluminum alloy than the Windsor. It sounds like the Moto also gives you the option of replacing the front chainrings (I could be wrong though). You also get some niceties with the sealed hubs. I would ride both and choose the one that feels more comfortable. If you are happy spending and extra $100 go for it. $400-$500 isn't that much anyway.
    Thanks for the info. I wish I could ride both before buying! But unfortunately that isn't possible with these 2. I don't mind spending the extra hundo if its worthwhile. I've learned that lockout is not a feature with any value to me. I would be paying more for a slightly lighter frame and slightly better brakes from what I understand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow, surprising results.... Mt F5 is my first bike with lockout and I use it every time I know I'm going to be out of the saddle on a climb. My last few MTB's didn't have lockout and I hated how it would absorb all my work when I was standing up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the valuable input guys. I'm ordering the Motobecane. Some people like to have the lockout, some don't use it, I'm not sure which group I will fall in. Plus better brakes and a better frame sold me on the 700HT.

mtbr member
    i dont use the lock out on my bike, also a dart 2 fork, i have used it a few times when i was riding on the road, but suck forgetting to unlock it and hitting a big rod or stump, the darts do have a valve so if you take a big hit it will absorb it,

but im a heavy guy and the fork has the original springs which are to soft for my 230lbs, i imagine if the fork was tuned for my weight the "maybe the lock out would help me here " thought would never cross my mind
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    How do you guys not use lock-out? Do you not climb hills? It sucks to try and pedal out of the saddle with the front unlocked.

mtbr member
    ive had my 700ht for a few weeks now, so far everythings going smoothly and ive been pounding on it, especially on todays 16 mile trail or rock beds and roots. only thing i changed immediately was the stem, and only time i use the lock out is while riding to class, too inconvenient of a position while on the trails. you'll enjoy the bike.

tma
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When I was doing my homework between the Giant Reign 1 and Reign 2, the only thing that
    was pullling me towards the Reign 1 was the lockout. I didnt care about the other
    components, it was purely the lockout. The price difference was about $700.

Then I decided for the Reign 2 without the lockout. Now, Im so happy with my decision
    that I spent the $700 on the best helmet, shoes, pedals, cranks, and a lot of more things.

One word of advice:

iIftheoverallsuspensionisbuiltgoodyoudontreallynee dalockout.

Have fun!

Its the driver, not the car

mtbr member
    i live in florida, no no no hill climbing, if the is any climbing is quickly followed by a decent and to keep locking and unlocking the fork while im trying to stay on the berm before i hit the next short climb is to much pf a hassle
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dpstrand
    How do you guys not use lock-out? Do you not climb hills? It sucks to try and pedal out of the saddle with the front unlocked.
    I am similarly in disbelief. I have a longer travel hardtail with a 105mm fork on the front and I dabble in a bit of downhill and freeride on this bike. The problem is riding the fireroad up to get to the trail, there is no way I could make it without a lockout.

tma
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Peeps,

Again, if the overall suspension is designed and built really really good, there is little to no
    use of the lockout.

Uphill climbs are not 100% dependent on the lockout. Maybe 5% yes, but then again, the
    overall suspension design (the remaining 95%) will compensate for the pedal bob or
    power-loss.

Quit worrying about the lockout dude. There are more things to worry about, like how's
    the tires, the derailluers, the shifters, the cranks, etc.
    "It's the driver, not the car..."

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    If that's true, then why do companies still design and spec them? It must have something to do with how suspensions suck the energy out of you with bobbing.

tma
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Its all about the money, man.

IMHO, biking is like a strategy game.
    You have to think and act based on the conditions and react accordingly.
    You cannot just wave the flag and surrender because your artillery doesnt have
    atomic bombs.
    You have to make use of what you have.

In bike terms, just because the bike doesnt have a lockout doesnt mean it cannot climb
    hills.

Cheers!
    "It's the driver, not the car..."

mtbr member
    ill admit, they do help, but with the recent trails ive been doing, ive found zero opportunities to actually switch it on and off over and over again (i dont have a remote), so i just avoided it.

mtbr member
    Do you need lockout? No. May it come in handy? Possibly.
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

mtbr rememberer
    Quote Originally Posted by tma

One word of advice:

iIftheoverallsuspensionisbuiltgoodyoudontreallynee dalockout.
    is that a word like 'antidisestablishmentarianism'? man, I need to work on my vocab.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny dollar
    is that a word like 'antidisestablishmentarianism'? man, I need to work on my vocab.
    No, they just sandwiched a bunch of words together.

if the overall suspension is built good you dont really need a lockout

ECV 7-11
    Feb 2010
    i don't know much about those shocks specifically, but i think the lockouts a pretty nice feature. On my manitou sherman forks i have a "lockout" feature which i use all the time for climbing anything long and steep. It compresses the front end from 6 down to 5" of travel and stiffens it up. I love it and use it often, even for being on the road it's nice. just my .02 cents

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    This is good info, thanks all. The whole lockout deal was really holding me up on choosing a bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0