Do I fit on this bike? (Cannondale F29 Medium, XC Racing)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Do I fit on this bike? (Cannondale F29 Medium, XC Racing)

Hey all, hope it's appropriate to post something like this here.

I'm interested in buying a Cannondale F29 but am not sure on sizing. I seem to be between a medium and a large. I am coming from a road background so my inclination was to go large, but I visited a bike shop today and their seemingly knowledgeable staff was convinced that a medium would be a better fit. They had nothing in stock for sale so no incentive to lean either way.

They let me try out the owner's F29 medium (pictured), which felt pretty good but definitely somewhat cramped compared to my road experience.

This bike will be for XC racing and not much else, so being in an efficient XC posture is my #1 concern.

Height = 175 cm, Inseam = 81cm (32''), Arms are a bit longer than"average" I guess.

On the road, I'm sized well to a 54.5cm top tube + 100mm stem + 85mm bar reach.

Appreciate any input.

Direct link to bigger image:
    https://i.imgur.com/aKOaqTK.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It looks close , any other shops around?Efficient on a road bike is different than on a mountain bike. You use more of your body offroad ,standing, weighing,side to side front to back.Have you done any mountain biking? You can go to a longer stem or one with less rise to get a long reach.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Hey thanks so much Dave. I rode a 26er for 8 years during my teen years but mostly on the road/sidewalk to get around town. Since I got "serious" about biking a couple years back I haven't ridden an MTB.

The stem on there is a 100mm with a 5 deg rise I think so could probably put a 110 on there at least if I had to without affecting handling much?

Not really any other shops to try that have a Large and I can get a new 2014 alloy 4 medium for $1600, so I want the medium to work but don't want to make a mistake just for a good deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You are a little high on the seat post for mtbiking because of the need to move around more and even get behind the seat for steep descents.
    Those bars are narrow by the standards of many riders. 720mm with 9* sweep and lo rise is an option that will take up some of your reach requirement and make the cockpit ride larger.
    Also keep in mind that the F29 uses old steep head tube geo. Cannondale has revised that for the F-Si higher spec bikes they brought out in 2014.
    They haven't let it filter down to the F29 yet. Maybe for 2016. Other bikes with slacker geo include Scott Scale, Orbea Alma, and Trek Superfly(18.5 is likely your size).
    Some of those are priced in that range too.
    When you test ride go on the grass and in ditches for a little more realistic info. On trail demos are very valuable.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I would start by exactly matching your road fit and adjusting a bit from there if need be.
    All my bikes...road(s), 'cross, track, mtb(s) have the same saddle height and same reach and same bar/saddle drop within a few mms.

To me that looks small for a bike that will be used almost exclusivly for racing.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    ^solid advice.

That picture looks cramped to me. I'd rather have a bigger frame with a shorter stem than vice versa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks so much guys, the advice is super valuable to me.

since 4/10/2009
    You look VERY similar to my size, and your statement about being somewhere between a medium and a large is also similar to me, as well as your road bike fit.

I do not race. I like my bike to handle more playfully, and I like to be able to move around above the saddle more. I ride medium mtb's because I have a bit of extra room to move around over the bike. The seat does look a bit high in the picture (based on the fact that you're pointing your toe quite a bit on your right foot). Dropping it some will bring your hips lower and stretch your arms a little more. Fairly subtly, but some. If you wanted a playful handling bike, a medium would be what I would recommend. I see that the bars are still a good bit higher than your saddle in this pic. It might be worth flipping the stem to drop the handlebars. This would also serve to stretch your body out more, and tends to be the sort of fit an xc racer looks for, anyway.

Frankly, if I was you, I'd be looking at more brands, and look for bikes that might have slightly different geometry than what you're trying here. Don't be afraid to try smaller wheels, too. Get on some larges. Exhaust your options.

mtbr member
    Have to agree, larger bike. I normally don't advocate too large of a bike if you're inbetween sizes because technical riding usually requires you to have an unplanned hasty dismount, which sometimes hits you (rather violently) with standover height. If you're planning on doing XC racing on smoother trails, larger frame is the way to go.

As mentioned, riding a bike in grass and through ditches will help you get an idea of size and your balance point for a bike. Not as good as a trail, but better than riding on the carpet inside a store.