Dirt in steerer tube- Can I tape off top of fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Dirt in steerer tube- Can I tape off top of fork?

Why isn't there some kind of cap or cover over the hole in the top of the front suspension fork going into the steerer tube and head tube? Dirt just gets trapped in there. Is there a reason I shouldn't tape this off to prevent dirt from entering the steerer tube? ....or, should I just not worry about it. Please see picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Is this the top of your fork or the bottom? I would consider the top where the stem clamps to your fork. Bottom is closer to the wheel? If this is where you're talking about, yes, the dirt (and mud) go up in there. If you plug this, then the dirt and mud won't go up there. However, moisture (if you ride in rain, mud etc) will seap down through the top bolt and collect at the bottom where you've plugged the hole. I don't thinkg it's such a good idea.

aloha,
    g

Former Bike Wrench

Idea! Fenders?

Generally, one of these will do the trick...otherwise don't worry about it, your not hurting anything

Last edited by mtnbiker72; 05-31-2007 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bottom closer to the wheel. Ok, won't worry about it, thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yours appears to be a ferrous alloy of some sort, my Marz is also, rust does build up in there, especially with salt from the winter.

So I rinse it ever so often.

Could stick a cork in there if I got around to it.

Former Bike Wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Pluging will promote rust

As mentioned on another post, plugging the steerer will promote rust as moisture builds up in the steertube (it will get in there from above). Other than using a fender, just leave the thing open and clean it occasionally. In eight years of being a bike mechanic...I never once saw a Cro-Mo steerer fail from rust (and I live in the PNW where its plenty wet). I did see a lot of sealed up Cro-Mo frames die though, as the water that built up in the frame could never get out (note to steel frame users...treat your frames and remove your bottom bracket occasionally to drain the water from your frame).

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, the bottom is usually open. Even the fenders, if you put one in, has a split plug that will allow some drainage.

JUst give it a cleaning when you wash the rest of your bike and it should be fine.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Members who have read this thread: 5