Difference in shimano cleats- Mtbr.com
    The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. Difference in shimano cleats

What is the difference between my cleats, SH-51's, and the "multi release" SH-56's?

They release differently, obviously, but in what way? They look essentially the same.

51's

-------------------------------------------------

56's

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The difference is underneath the "point" of the arrowhead shape. The standard cleats require you to twist your foot outwards in a flat arc from the pedal, whereas the multi-release cleats allow you to twist in multiple dimensions, essentially making it easier to get out in a panic.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PlasticBike
    The difference is underneath the "point" of the arrowhead shape. The standard cleats require you to twist your foot outwards in a flat arc from the pedal, whereas the multi-release cleats allow you to twist in multiple dimensions, essentially making it easier to get out in a panic.
    So if I twist up and out, It will release? Or if I just try to jump to safety? I occasionally utilize the "River Dance" technique.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well, they do pop out easier (at any angle) than standard cleats. Yes, up and out will release, as will rolling your foot as you twist. Really, almost any motion besides straight up will get you out (and with low spring tension, straight up can sometimes work, too). The downside is that you may find yourself bouncing out of the pedals on really rough stuff (if you're using low spring tension).

Members who have read this thread: 0