difference between carbon and aluminum bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

difference between carbon and aluminum bike

I was hoping someone could explain the different riding characteristic of a carbon bike vs an aluminum bike. Of course, the carbon bike will be lighter but is that the only difference or is there something else to look for when picking between the two (besides of course the cost difference)?

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    in no way an expert review, but you can make bikes out of at least four things:

carbon fiber which is light, flexible, absorbs bumps, and is on the expensive side. how it's woven depends on how durable it is, or so people say. when pushed too hard it tends to shatter, especially at stress points like the meeting of the top tube and seat tube, or when someone carelessly overtightens a seat collar or derailer clamp. it's accepted that modern carbon fiber bikes are the best compromise of all the different materials.

aluminum is light but not flexible, so it transmits bumps more readily to your ass. it's also prone to shatter because it can't bend. it's cheap, easy to work with, and most inexpensive bikes are made of this stuff.

steel is heavy as hell, absorbs bumps, bends instead of breaking and is loved by simple minded apes like me who love its forgiving ride and don't care that a steel bike weighs a crapload. it's damn near impossible to break a steel bike when you crash, most don't have replaceable derailer hangers because they can usually just be bent back into place.

titanium is hard to work with, hard to weld, brittle, and superlight. it also absorbs impacts well. unfortunately not a lot of people know how to work with it well, so a Ti bike that is not a POS will set you back a small fortune, and is not any better than carbon fiber in that respect.
    how durable a bike or component is usually has a lot to do with how heavy and ugly it is.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmonkey
    I was hoping someone could explain the different riding characteristic of a carbon bike vs an aluminum bike. Of course, the carbon bike will be lighter but is that the only difference or is there something else to look for when picking between the two (besides of course the cost difference)?

Let keep it simple read, here's a piece by Scot Nicol of Ibis about Materials

I'm not sure where eat_dirt got his info from but it's not quite that simple.

Members who have read this thread: 0