Desired Attributes in a Bike for a 100 mile ride/race- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

New question here. Desired Attributes in a Bike for a 100 mile ride/race

Been a while since I have ridden off road and I have never ridden long distances (35+ miles) off road.

What features / attributes should I be looking for when the event:
    • is 100 miles long,
    • has 12,000 to 18000 ft of climbing,
    • I will be on the bike for 10 to 14 hours
    • course is not super technical but will have some smooth and some hectic parts (it will be 100 miles)

I was thinking of
    • a hardtail
    • 29er or 27.5+ wheels

Anything else to look for?
    Carbon Aluminum, Steel?
    What about shock travel?
    certain type of geometry?

I know people ride all types, they win with all types, just curious as to what would work well.

Thanks!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by intown View Post
    Been a while since I have ridden off road and I have never ridden long distances (35+ miles) off road.

What features / attributes should I be looking for when the event:
    • is 100 miles long,
    • has 12,000 to 18000 ft of climbing,
    • I will be on the bike for 10 to 14 hours
    • course is not super technical but will have some smooth and some hectic parts (it will be 100 miles)

I was thinking of
    • a hardtail
    • 29er or 27.5+ wheels

Anything else to look for?
    Carbon Aluminum, Steel?
    What about shock travel?
    certain type of geometry?

I know people ride all types, they win with all types, just curious as to what would work well.

Thanks!
    Not enough course detail for me to make a decision. General thoughts would be something light and something fast. But also a high priority is going to be something comfortable. What that means for me, and what that means for you, might be different things. Is this bike going to be something used only or primarily on rides like this? Or is it going to be a bike for all your off-road riding, including short 1-2hr rides? What's your riding style? Are you a racer type who's high energy and likes to hammer? Are you a more casual rider who rides at a more chill pace?

Formerly of Kent
    For the vast majority of 100mi courses:

Modern XC bike. Swap in 120mm fork as necessary.

Grippier tire up front, faster rolling out back.

Dropper if desired. Sub-25lbs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the quick replies.

The race I am thinking of is the Butte 100. I know it is a big goal and big race, I do have a fair amount of endurance sport experience, including lots of marathons, half ironmans, and full ironmans, I also have worked as a bike messenger

Riding Style
    I can say I am not a full on downhill junky. I like trails that are some what technical but without big drops or parts that make you pause and think twice before going. I also like putting the effort and suffering :-) I typically ride the fully rigid unit on the same trails my friends ride front and full suspension bikes, so nothing overly extreme.

I live in north of Atlanta, GA and this will probably be my only true mountain bike (I have a 22" BMX, s works road bike, time trial bike, Kona Unit single speed, and a vintage 80 trek touring bike)

Thanks again, this is super helpful! -- Steven

Trail Ninja
    • fit that gets you into a low position naturally/comfortably, absolute minimal muscle tension needed to maintain a good position with weight well spread across your legs, seat, back, and hands
    • largest diameter wheel that comfortably fits for carrying speed efficiently
    • Pref geo - long wheelbase and chainstay, tall BB, well centered/balanced feel when in the saddle
    • Bottle cage mounts, more the merrier.
    • Sensitive suspension
    • Room to stash spare equipment on the bike. Huge plus if can get away without using a pack
    • Good aerodynamic profile is plus

Fit by far the most important factor. You want to be able to turn off the mind, perhaps even just put your lower half in subconscious pedaling mode, shifting gears to account for your leg output to maintain efficient cadence, and just lightly controlling your core to control the bike's direction and keep the wheels on the ground. All about efficiency and maintaining a position comfortably for a long period of time.

I'd suggest carbon, especially for long tubular parts. The rougher it is, the wider you should go on tires. HT is totally fine, unless you're on the short side and want to fit a bigger wheel; a HT's lower BB might make your seat height too low compared to the bars. Think "cheater bike".
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

slow
    You may want to consider a bike with a front derailleur and 2 or 3 chainrings in front for an extended gearing range. I like a higher top end for the flats and a good low gear for the hills near the end of the event.