Derailer Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Derailer Question

I have another question regarding mountain bike mechanics. My Giant Anthem 2 came with the basic Shimano Deore derailers and whatnot. If I ever decide to upgrade, what are the advantages to going with something like XTR? What can I expect to get for my money?

Bike builder
    Basically, much better quality materials and workmanship. The advantage of that is

a) Performs better - the shifting in an XTR setup is noticeably smoother than that of a Deore.

b) It lasts longer. I had an 1998 XTR rear mech which was still going strong until a couple of years ago - when some thieving scum stole it.

c) It's stronger - in the last 10 years or so, I have trashed maybe 4 or 5 Deore mechs (through heavy downhilling and, err, crashing!), and only two XT rear mech. (And my XTR one was going fine too...sigh)

That said, I think most would experienced riders would agree that, while XT is probably worth the money if you're serious, XTR kit really is an optional luxury.
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

Professional Speed Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by Alun_buildyourbicycle
    Basically, much better quality materials and workmanship. The advantage of that is

a) Performs better - the shifting in an XTR setup is noticeably smoother than that of a Deore.

b) It lasts longer. I had an 1998 XTR rear mech which was still going strong until a couple of years ago - when some thieving scum stole it.

c) It's stronger - in the last 10 years or so, I have trashed maybe 4 or 5 Deore mechs (through heavy downhilling and, err, crashing!), and only two XT rear mech. (And my XTR one was going fine too...sigh)

That said, I think most would experienced riders would agree that, while XT is probably worth the money if you're serious, XTR kit really is an optional luxury.
    Pretty much what he said ^

plus...
    - Lighter weight
    - Smoother, faster chain thru-speed which translates to less effort at the cranks
    - Not sure about the lifespan but better engineering and build quality

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    if you're a noob you won't notice much difference......your deore will shift/hold up fine and dandy.....

if shifting gets to get crummy you'll more than likely need to re-index because of cable stretch...easy fix..takes about 2 minutes then your shifting is 'crisp' again.

if you are really itching to upgrade look into a) suspension, b) wheels and c) comfort (shoes, gloves, grips, saddle, etc...)...not necessarily in that order...

or if you just wanna throw $$ into your rig XTR is nice and blingy....

and yes i understand....i am a bike snob myself...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ok, whats the difference between xt and xtr? I noticed you mentioned xtr being a "luxery". Also, do high end shifters make much of a difference?

Disgruntled Peccary
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylishxone767
    Ok, whats the difference between xt and xtr? I noticed you mentioned xtr being a "luxery". Also, do high end shifters make much of a difference?
    Difference? Generally weight.
    mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey is this a decent price for a derailer build kit?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...-Build-Kit.htm

derailleurs are *dumb*...all they do is move the chain up and down rings....so weight, spring strength, and how flush/tucked away are the only real improvements. Between XT and XTR....just a common sense guess....weight.

now shifters OTOH will make a little difference.....BUT it really is a matter of preference...

do you like thumb shifting only?...or rapid style...combo?....or twist (which are light).....or maybe you twist on the left and thumb on the right (so you can adjust trim on the front der while rolling)....

then there are the combo brake/shifter levers (which i personally hate)...but many peeps like.

most any component at the level of XTR is purpose built for competition....and you will personally not notice any real difference between XT and XTR

XT is really pretty nice BTW

Hey is this a decent price for a derailer build kit?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/192...-Build-Kit.htm
    actually that's a drivetrain kit.....and is very nice....will last a looooong time (chains need to be replaced every once-in-a-while).

no brakes though???

as far as price?.....dunno...sorry

Members who have read this thread: 0