Decisions, choices, advice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Decisions, choices, advice?

Well I figure rather than hijack someones thread, I'd start my own. I've been doing a lot of thread hopping and I've convinced myself I am looking into getting a hardtail over a FS. I'm totally new to the mountain biking sport though so your help is appreciated.

I was looking at a Mongoose Meteore and GT Avalanche 1.0. I thought the Avalanche felt a little better than the Meteore, don't know why exactly. From what I got from the guys at the LBS, all the parts are essentially the same at that level, except the forks. I think the Mongoose had Rock Shox and I forget what the GT had. But to break it down, they both had hydr. disc brakes, front shocks of course, 3/6 gearing, similar derailleurs/cranks, good set of wheels and tires. I don't know why I listed all that crap but oh well.

I'd probably end up getting a XXL since I'm tall/skinny, 6'4 180 lbs. The GT was around $800 or so, which I think is good for that level of bike. And it doesn't make sense to spend that little of money on a FS bike. I agree with a lot of people on this forum about you get what you pay for.

mtbr member
    The Mongoose has a much better front shock (Rockshox Tora 302 Air), over the SR Fork. Other than that they are pretty much identical parts wise. Get the one you like to ride the most, not the one you believe has the best specs.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

24v
    mtbr member
    For a few hundred more, this bike may be a better choice. If you have a performance near you, you could see if they have one in stock that you could ride. It seems like a 29er may be a good fit for a bigger guy like yourself. I have the 26" version of this bike, and I love it.
    https://www.performancebike.com/bike...00_20000_53000

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yea dude before dropping $800 on a new bike you should at least ride a 29er, especially considering you are 6'4. I am 6'3 and definitely prefer the bigger wheels; they just feel more proportionately correct. At least ride a couple and figure out for yourself whether you want a 29er or not. Keep in mind you probably won't get as good of components on a 29er as you will with a 26 inch bike though.

Rod
    mtbr member
    You should ride every bike you can find in your size and then buy the one that feels the best. Visit a few local shops and explain to them that you're test riding some bikes. You plan on buying a bike and will have you mind made up in a few days. Ride all the bikes you can and take some notes on what you thought about each bike when you leave the shop. Then buy the bike that feels the best. Don't worry about the part spec. They're usually so close it doesn't matter and parts wear out over time so you can upgrade them later if you choose to do so.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    24v, that looks like a good bike. Basically everything I am looking, and in a bigger package. Just to clear things up, would a 29er basically be a XXL? I'm pretty noob on the mountain bike lingo.

As for the bigger wheels and frame, I could feel the difference between say a large and an XXL. Much more room and could extend my legs all the way on the XXL. I'm just worried about tipping over!

I agree with you guys though, the parts are all going to be the same and finding the bike that fits just right is the main factor. I wish I could borrow a bike from the shop and take it out. I've mostly just ridden them in the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevu
    24v, that looks like a good bike. Basically everything I am looking, and in a bigger package. Just to clear things up, would a 29er basically be a XXL? I'm pretty noob on the mountain bike lingo.

As for the bigger wheels and frame, I could feel the difference between say a large and an XXL. Much more room and could extend my legs all the way on the XXL. I'm just worried about tipping over!

I agree with you guys though, the parts are all going to be the same and finding the bike that fits just right is the main factor. I wish I could borrow a bike from the shop and take it out. I've mostly just ridden them in the parking lot.
    No, when someone talks about a 29er they are referring to a bike that has 29 inch wheels where a "standard" mountain bike only has 26 inch wheels. There are pluses and minuses to both. Many bigger/taller guys like the 29ers because they tend to be bigger bikes and more proportional.

The cool thing about them is that you would think you would sit up higher and high a high center of gravity and feel tippy but that is not the case. The way the bikes are designed you actually sit pretty low and have a really good center of gravity for a nice stable ride. Not tippy at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is a bike with 29" wheels different from one with 26"? What are the minuses?

Members who have read this thread: 0