cyclocross bikes? good for pavement riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

cyclocross bikes? good for pavement riding?

im currently selling my hifi, just havent had time to hit the trails since i have to drive a bit to get to them. i would like to get a bike that i can ride on the road but i dont need an all out road/race bike. Id like to hook up a trailer and have my little girl in tow on some occasions as well while we go for family rides. to me, an all out road bike would be silly for that. im looking for a good in between. something i can go out on my own, get a good work out on, get up some good speed, maybe take on packed dirt, etc...

i have someone interested in trading a felt f1x + cash for the hifi but i know nothing about road/cyclocross bikes. this is why im asking.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Perfectly fine. There isn't much difference weight wise, and a cyclocross will give you more stability and better braking when pulling a trailer.

T.W.O
    Pretty much the same thing except they have different brakes to shed mud easier than road bikes and tad wide tires with sidewall traction for off road experiences.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

mtbr member
    thanks for the heads up folks. we are going to meet up so i can check it out.

feel free to chime in with anything else you can think of. ill do some more research on my own tonight and tomorrow but any and all help is appreciated.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fit's important, and I think it's a little more sensitive than with mountain bikes.

One of my teammates did a stage race on his 'cross bike. You can't do a 'cross race on a road racing bike. The biggest differences are tires and setup.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

local trails rider
    I think there's a couple of different ways to attach a trailer to a bike. Check that the bike/frame is OK with the method the trailer uses.

You can do more on a CX bike than just pavement and packed dirt, if you want to.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Picture Unrelated
    I find that the ability to run wider tires actually makes the cross bike preferable on real-world roads with bumps and holes in i when compared to road bikes. But like perttime said, check to make sure you can pull whatever trailer you have with whatever bike you look at.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Sweep the leg!
    There's a few of us Masters that do the practice crit on our 'cross bikes. The smaller big-ring (48t) makes me spin more so it's a hella good workout. I toss a set of standard road wheels with 25mm tires on it for that and for regular road miles. For your purposes it should be ideal with either a 28mm or 32mm tire with a slight tread pattern. You may not want the stock knobbie 'cross tires or a full slick. Depending on your fork and frame clearances you could run wider 29er tires, but the narrow rims it comes with might make that option feel vague and spongey.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    thanks for the tips, i may pursue a seat for the little one over a trailer. taking a look at the felt tonight. looking forward to it

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Call me paranoid but Ive never been a fan of the seats. I always figured if I fall with a kid in a seat they are going down whereas with the trailer the worst that could happen is dump the trailer on its side.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Call me paranoid but Ive never been a fan of the seats. I always figured if I fall with a kid in a seat they are going down whereas with the trailer the worst that could happen is dump the trailer on its side.
    I don't have a child so take my advice for what you will but I'm with SS35 on this one. Trailers seem to be a bit safer in the event of a crash. Of course, as a child I spent many a ride in a bike seat and I turned out fine (in respect to not crashing, anyway).
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im not buy any means saying the seats are "unsafe" and I dont have a child so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But in my mind, if Im riding a bike with a seat and I fall over, thats at least 3-4 feet the child has before it hits the ground. Granted they are strapped in and the seat and helmet will take most of the impact but still. Strapped into the trailer if it tump it over on its side the worst I do is scare the kid. Of course im paranoid, im about to buy a sport bike (motorcycle) and my wife thought she was going to be riding on the back. I told her id buy her a bike before shed be on the back of mine. If i hurt myself its one thing, i couldnt live with myself if I hurt someone else.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

local trails rider
    Another view on seats:
    A seat can do funny things to the center of gravity of a bike. It is manageable on a very utilitarian bike but a more sporty design will suffer from it.

When you want to go riding without the child, you probably don't want to keep the trailer or seat with you. It seems to me that disengaging a trailer is a lesser operation than removing a seat. A seat that has to carry the whole load needs a pretty sturdy mounting system on the bike.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    SS35th is your username in reference to a car by chance? if so what kind?

you folks have me really thinking about the trailer again as well. love this forum. thank you for your input

mtbr member
    As a kid, I rode in the seat on the back, but it was on a goofy, 70s bike that was geared out to maybe 5mph. I'd never throw a seat like that on my cross bike.

To address the original question, my cross bike is probably my favorite bike right now, I frequently take it out for long road rides to trails that most people ride mountain bikes on, then ride it back. It's pretty ideal for that. It's not going off of jumps, and I don't bomb rock gardens with it, but short of those, I have no problem off on the singletrack with it.

Sweep the leg!
    When it came to trailers vs seats, I used to advise customers to consider this: If I took your kid for a ride, which would you rather have me use? In other words, do you trust a stranger to balance your kid safely in a seat or have the child safe in a trailer?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

T.W.O.
    I used trailer several time before and I'd rather enjoy the experience however I had to up the rotor size as the 6"/6" did not feel like it was stopping fast enough. 7"-7" did the job well.

I've not use the seat but like perttime said I think that it would throw the CG off a bit for me anyway. The trailer doesn't require much adjustment other than the added weight, just hook up and go

mtbr member
    will most trailers hook up to the road/cyclocross bikes? i traded for the felt today, very nice bike BTW. just curious if ill need any type of adapters or anything.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    SS35th is your username in reference to a car by chance? if so what kind?

you folks have me really thinking about the trailer again as well. love this forum. thank you for your input
    Yes it is. I drive a 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 35th Anniversary Limited Edition
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    May 2012

Perfect for that -- just check out the brakes.

You've already gotten great answers, but I hadn't seen anyone mention the brakes. I've towed kids (one kid, then twins, then one kind on a half-bike, plus twins in a trailer) on different bikes, but 'cross bikes are the best for this. Little lower gearing usually, tire clearance to run tires that let you go anywhere. Perfect bike for the job.

Only problem is cantilever brakes are made for mud clearance, not power. Wet descents can be hairy. Discs 'cross bike would be great if you find a bike that has them. If you get cantis and the added trailer weight overpowers them, shorter arm linear-pull brakes would probably save the day, though. Like other people mentioned, make sure the dropout on the frame is going to work OK with however your trailer attaches, though. I'd go trailer over the deadly high seats, too. Way safer.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    will most trailers hook up to the road/cyclocross bikes? --- just curious if ill need any type of adapters or anything.
    I think trailers come with the mounting systems. I've seen trailers attached to the seat post, and others somewhere on the rear triangle or dropouts.

... Just spotted the beginning of a recent article on bike trailers:
    Top Bike trailers | Bike trailer Buying Guide

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Trailers include their own mounting systems, yes. Decent ones attach at the axle (longer skewer with small attachment plate for the trailer's arm), but some dropouts--like Breezer-style, don't always play nice with that sort of thing.

Ideally you want a dropout with a nice flat area 10mm around the actual cut out for the hub--no tight recesses.

Trailers that grip seat/chain-stays are a bigger pain and hard on the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a cross bike I ride on the road a lot. Very little speed penalty vs. a road bike if ran with road tires. But, I hardly ever run road tires because I'm spoiled on the cushy ride of 35mm wide with 60psi. Nice. Also note that you might need a size smaller frame than your road bike because of the increased ground clearance....you might end up sitting on your top tube. Cross bikes generally have a longer wheel base too which should add some stability for pulling that trailer. I own 5 bikes but I always say if I could only keep one it would be my cross bike. So versatile.

mtbr member
    it has kenda kwest commuter tires on it. havent gotten to ride yet. i will this weekend at some point.

im just worried about the trailer hooking up to the quick release axle i have. guess we will see.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you have the trailer already, you can sometimes detach the part that mounts to the skewer and take it with you to make sure. Trailers usually include slightly longer skewers, but you can always buy a longer Salsa skewer or even a tandem skewer if you really need to pick up some space (like if you have a really thick mounting plate for your trailer).

Members who have read this thread: 0