Cycling shorts- Mtbr.com

Thread: Cycling shorts

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Cycling shorts

Hey everybody I recently started mountain biking and Ive realized that cycling shorts are the way to go. I'm not fit enough to wear the spandex shorts only and really don't wanna spend what 80$ for a pair of baggies with a pad inside so I was thinking of getting the lycra and wearing it under my baggies. Can you give me some decent cheap options and where I might be able to buy em? Online is fine. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I was in the same boat, no way was I going out wearing those tightie-roadie shorts, the chamois can be found for $25 and wear them under some other shorts if you want. I found an ok priced pair of fox shorts with vents and cargo pockets and splurged, I was going downhilling that weekend and figured I'd need them.

Check wheelworld.com, their online prices are pretty good, same price for in-store too, a friend suggested treefortbikes.com as a price matching site. Also just google the item.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions helix. I did some searching online and wasn't sure about brands and if some were much better than others and all that. I'll check out those sites though. Thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm a n00b at this but my friend told me about treefort and I read about wheelworld on here, and they are loca-ish for me. Fox and 661 seem like the off road brands I see around, all the rental gear at mammoth was 661.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    just so y'all know....you do not wear chonies under your cycling specific shorts...it defeats the purpose...

and to add....they are a once-ride-then-wash item...

Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Good panel design, quality stitching, and adequate padding are obviously all important. I got a couple pair of Pearl Izumi Elites at more than 50% off at Performance and they've been pretty good.

Never trust a fart
    The Performance branded Elite shorts are a good value. At around $50 on sale, they work very well. I'll put my 2 pair of the Performance Elite shorts up against my Pearl Izumi Elite shorts any day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The Performance branded Elite shorts are a good value. At around $50 on sale, they work very well. I'll put my 2 pair of the Performance Elite shorts up against my Pearl Izumi Elite shorts any day.
    I have the Performance Elites too. I'd agree that they're obviously the better value with reasonably good quality when compared to the Izumis at the Izumis' regular $100 price which is a little rich for my wallet. When the Izumis were on sale at 50% off plus the 10% Performance Club discount I gave them a shot and, in my personal preference, I think they're slightly more comfortable but not enough so to go out of my way otherwise.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have the pearls elite shorts the tight kind.. on order and I wanted to know if you can wear another pair of short like basketball shorts over them, would it shorten the life of the cycling shorts?

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist
    I have the pearls elite shorts the tight kind.. on order and I wanted to know if you can wear another pair of short like basketball shorts over them, would it shorten the life of the cycling shorts?
    Should be fine as long as they don't have super thick/rough seams around the contact points w/ the saddle. One advantage of good MTB specific shells is that they generally don't have any of these. The couple of pairs of Specialized baggies I have also have a gusseted crotch/inner thigh panel made of a slightly stretchy material that works out very well. If they were maybe 1.5-2" shorter in the inseam they'd be perfect.

+1 on the PI Elites, they're great for road or trail IMO. The Specialized Comps have worked very well on the MTB for me too (I need something a bit more substantial for more than 20 miles or so on the road bike though).

...2 wheel terror...
    Like others mentioned get some Baggie shorts from Performance. I have like 4 pairs of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    i wear the spandex under baggy shorts all the time

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    just so y'all know....you do not wear chonies under your cycling specific shorts...it defeats the purpose...

But then you wont have any Jock itch

Wheres the fun in that!
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Cheapest option-
    Roll your pant leg up, or
    variation 1: roll up and tuck into socks
    variation 2: roll up and buy a dollar store bungie cord set and put one that fits high around your ankle to keep the rolled up pants in place

mtbr member
    Bought nylon baggie mt bike shorts from LL Bean for $39. Synthetic pad, pockets, Very comfortable and well-made.

IT'S CRACKERS TO SLIP A ROZZER THE DROPSY IN SNIDE

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I recently picked up a couple pairs of Hoss Ponderossa baggies. They can be had for under 40 bucks a pair, and are quite comfortable. Lots of useable pockets, nice technical wicking fabric, and generous chamois.

I only wear the tight lycra on night rides.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM

I wasn't aware of that when I bought them, my friend told me that. If you're away for a weekend ride and only have one pair you're stuck I guess!

Can they go in the dryer? The pad takes forever to dry.

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by helix66
    I wasn't aware of that when I bought them, my friend told me that. If you're away for a weekend ride and only have one pair you're stuck I guess!

Probably depends on the short/bib. All of mine (Specialized, Pearl Izumi, Louis Garneau) say they can be tumbled dry on low, but I still hang dry them. Usually dry for me overnight.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by helix66

i wash mine just like regular clothes....but i don't dry on high...medium or low works for me....

they seem to hold up just fine....but i have about 10 pair of shorts so they don't get dried everyday...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I wash lycra in mesh laundry bags and dry on low.

The velcro on some of my other clothes isn't very friendly to lycra.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Cheapo cycling shorts from Scheels: $25

Underarmour knock-off baggy shorts from Walmart: $10

Wash in cold water, dry on low.

mtbr member
    I picked up some Performance Bike Flint shorts on sale last week, and was surprised how well they fit. Keeps things more snug and less diaper-ish than the Pearl Izumi's (not sure which model) I got on clearance. The padding is sewn on separate from the chamois, so you could always cut the padding out if you don't like it and still have "tights" under your baggy pants.

For $30 (still on sale) they're a pretty good deal. I'll probably go pick up another pair before the sale ends.

I4NI
    Blue Sky Cycles has the SixSixOne 661 Elite Bomber Shorts on sale. Lots of armor and confort. Best bike shorts I've used to date!

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek
    Blue Sky Cycles has the SixSixOne 661 Elite Bomber Shorts on sale. Lots of armor and confort. Best bike shorts I've used to date!
    Very nice, might have to grab some of those. They've got a killer deal on the 4x4/2x4 pad set I was planning to grab as well.

Ever tried the Bomber shells w/ the external padding?

Probably drunk right now

Thoughts...

Disclaimer: I've been riding a long time and I got over the lyrca insecurity issue a long time ago.

Just wear the lycra. You're on the trail riding a bike, not going to a bar to pick up a date.

Carry a towel, a pair of shorts and a shirt in your cycling bag in the event you need or want to go somewhere after the ride.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    I just wear these underneath a pair of cargo's. Best system I've found so far.

http://www.rei.com/product/794384

http://www.rei.com/product/794383

I have one pair of each but prefer the briefs. I'll be stocking up during their next sale.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Disclaimer: I've been riding a long time and I got over the lyrca insecurity issue a long time ago.

Just wear the lycra. You're on the trail riding a bike, not going to a bar to pick up a date.

Carry a towel, a pair of shorts and a shirt in your cycling bag in the event you need or want to go somewhere after the ride.
    Just make sure you wear BLACK lycra.....

Unless of course you're just kind of proud of your boys....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmtx77

OMFG, this is hilarious! I laughed out loud for a good minute on this. Wear black everyone, pls...!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC

+1, I agree. I am old school and dont understand baggie shorts and bikes. Ugh, big sweaty bags under my legs and snagging the seat would be horrible.....

Probably drunk right now

Yep...

This photoshopped picture has been around in one form or another for years.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Baseball sliding shorts work great and can be found at local sporting goods stores for around $15. Chamois is nice to have but not necessary. I use the kind without any padding and the pouch where the cup goes is perfect for carrying a granola bar, nectarine, or even packets of gu. Hope that helps.
    I'm here for the OT

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Nitzerglobin
    Very nice, might have to grab some of those. They've got a killer deal on the 4x4/2x4 pad set I was planning to grab as well.

Ever tried the Bomber shells w/ the external padding?

Not yet but it sounds like overkill?

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    Quote Originally Posted by S_Trek
    Not yet but it sounds like overkill?
    Heh, yeah just one set of hip pads is probably plenty, even for me .

From the picture it looked like the Bomber (not Elite Bomber) shorts were actually baggies. I'd have been into that since I kinda prefer bibs to shorts for the lycra part of my shorts equation and have several sets that I like the chamois on already. Closer reading revealed that they are undershorts.

For the relatively small price dif I think the Elite Bombers are probably a better design, look like they might actually give a bit of compression.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1976
    Baseball sliding shorts work great and can be found at local sporting goods stores for around $15. Chamois is nice to have but not necessary. I use the kind without any padding and the pouch where the cup goes is perfect for carrying a granola bar, nectarine, or even packets of gu. Hope that helps.
    Is that an energy bar or are you just happy to see me?

I4NI

Can you find/post pics of the women?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt1976
    Baseball sliding shorts ....the pouch where the cup goes is perfect for carrying a granola bar, nectarine, or even packets of gu. Hope that helps.
    Note to self. Do not ask matt for any of his warm, squishy, funky-smelling gummy bears, should we ever meet on a trail .

mtbr member
    I use Performance elite bibs. They are great!
    2008 Giant Rincon disc
    Shimano m520 pedals

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I picked up a nice pair of LouisGarneau shorts at one of my LBS, they have a lining and an outer short, but are not super tight. They are not too baggie either. I got them for $40. Tough to find much cheaper than that in my shopping experience(REI and other LBS)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deadwrong666
    +1, I agree. I am old school and dont understand baggie shorts and bikes. Ugh, big sweaty bags under my legs and snagging the seat would be horrible.....
    Pockets is the biggie for me. There may be somethings that I would like to keep in close reach and not have to stop and get out of my camelbak. That is just me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    try Aero Tech Designs Cyclewear
    www.aerotechdesigns.com
    Larry

Members who have read this thread: 0