Cycling in shape.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Cycling in shape.

Hello there, just purchased my first bike, a specialized hardrock sport, and im looking to lose some pounds before I hit the more heavier trails and wreck my bike.

Anyone have a routine or method they would like to share to help out? any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Pete.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Forgot to mention, I went on my first bike ride the other day and about a kilometer into it, i was ready to DIE, thats how bad it is.

Help!

karmacoma
    ok, before anything it would be useful to have a little extra info; how much u weigh, age, any other sport youve done before? how much do u plan to loose?
    jogging is always a good aerobic excercise, however depending on your weigh and age your knees might not agree as much... swimming would be good too. but its hard sometimes to acces a pool.
    besides biking I sometimes lift weights and hit the punching bag.
    ohh... a lot of people swear by spinning classes.
    or simply ride your bike around town or some easy trails till you get some lungs
    hope this helped a bit

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Alright, ill give a little more info about myself.

I'm 21, 5'12" roughly. i weigh around 240 pounds. Its not all fat, but most of it is .

Im also looking for an eating routine if anyone has a good one.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    5'12" is 6'

There's no app for this.

Oddball diet

winded in 1 Km in flat Windsor, at your age? For shame. But there's hope....

As an ex-Ont. I've moved out West, hooked hard on all things MTB, and this is my diet too. If you love riding, you don't need to diet.
    Jim

The Weatherman
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_T20
    Forgot to mention, I went on my first bike ride the other day and about a kilometer into it, i was ready to DIE, thats how bad it is.

Help!
    First off, welcome to the sport! Now on to business...

Don't worry so much about having your ass handed to you on your first ride. It takes a couple of rides to build up cycling stamina, not to mention to toughen up your backside.

Make sure your first few rides are on the easiest trails you have access to. The flatter the better. If you have access to crushed limestone 'rails-to-trails' type trails in your area, those should make up a majority of your early cycling miles. Sure they may not be all that exciting to ride, but they will help you build up your endurance for the more demanding trails you will soon be riding.

Many beginners make the mistake of trying to tackle trails that are way outside their ability level and it usually ends badly. Worst case scenario they end up hurting themselves, but more commonly they end up giving up on the sport after a few demoralizing rides. It's just not that fun to get your ass kicked every time you ride. Especially when you first start out.

The key here is to slowly build your confidence by tackling progressively harder rides. If this means you have to ride concrete for a while just to get some miles under your belt, there is no shame in that. Just make sure you continue to ride your bike and before long you will notice that the trail that owned you last month, you now own it!

Just keep riding your bike. Those extra pounds wil shed right off!

Best of Luck,

Pawn

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

What's worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_T20
    Alright, ill give a little more info about myself.

I'm 21, 5'12" roughly. i weigh around 240 pounds. Its not all fat, but most of it is .

Im also looking for an eating routine if anyone has a good one.

Thanks in advance.

Eating, a low carb high protein diet was basically a life saver for me a few years ago. After the enfattening combination of turning 40, quitting smoking and taking a desk job I was up to 265, at 5'13.5 about the same boat you're in. Check out the book "Protein Power" good guide to the general range of low carb dieting and well thought out.

As for the bike. I say keep it fun. I love riding in the woods, nevermind that it's a work out and all that, it's just plain fun to go blasting through a forest. Enjoy this. Learn to enjoy working hard at it too. Shouldn't be hard if you've ever done and enjoyed exercise of any type. Go Ride. Stretch before and after. Soon enough you'll feel like your abs, arms and upper body need more work, indulge.

But really, just stay out on the bike for an hour or so or all day 2, 3, 4, however many times a week.

This is fun, enjoy it.

Ron

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ok you can do this if I could.

Its going to take awhile and you will feel some pain, but you'll be enjoying that pain with a smile when you begin to see and feel the gains you will be making.

Go slow and enjoy. It took you a while to become the way you areright now and its going to take alot of work to remove it all too!
    I know this from experience.

I have just begin to make it up hills thatonce winded me walking them. And its a great feeling to accomplish all these goals.

You can do it and just keep going at a steady pace.... Nothing worhtwhile happens overnight except getting into mtn biking

newbie lurker
    May 2005
    Ride the same (easy) trail for a while--walk out the tough parts (hills) but try to stay in motion. At some flat spots, try increasing your speed, then slowing down to recover (intervals). At the beginning, I also had a turnaround point (for home) that I sat & rested (reward--a small candy, pat my bike for a job well done), looked at the scenery. Riding the same path lets you see actual progress as you get comfortable and your endurance increases. The intervals really help and are a lot of fun (sometimes it's just following someone (roadies) who passes you to see if you can keep up). As you progress and can ride through the hard parts, try a different area. I recently left a fairly flat paved recreational trail to go to a local park where it was quite hilly & am starting all over again (lots of braking on the descents and walking up hills where I am uncomfortable with the degree of rise). On the easy trail, as you get comfortable, try to work on skills that you may need for mtb (pls don't flame me if I get some wrong)--standing on your bike, trackstands, cornering, bunnyhopping--lots of good info on this forum. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Welcome to biking, and good luck on your goals. Here are my few cents worth...

Eating: Portion control is the key. You can try some diet, but the key to every single one of them, whether it is low carb, low fat, whatever, is portion control to keep your calories lower than what you burn in a given day, but high enough so your metabolism does not slow down.

If you can afford it, ediets.com is great. I did it a few years ago and lost about 40 lbs. You get a meal plan, which is quite flexible--if something looks really gross, you can swap it out from a list they provide. Then you get a shopping list to match the meal plan. It gives you the option of eating all prepackaged foods you just microwave, all homemade meals that you prepare from ingredients (and provides the recipes), or a combination (prepacked breakfast and lunch, and a homemade dinner, for example.) I think it costs about $10 a month, but I am not sure, and you may have to sign up for an initial 3 months or something. But if you are only using it for the meal plan, save everything, sign up for the minimum, and you can quit, but keep using the meal plans you have saved. One thing that I really learned was how small portions should be...like pasta--previously I was eating 3-4 servings in a meal, and did not realize it.

You can also try something like South Beach. My brother has recently lost 40 lbs on that. The blue book provides a meal plan as well and guidelines for what to eat that are pretty clear. But beware that you will have NO energy in the first period if you are exercising regularly after the first couple of days (you will probably feel great the first couple of days.)

Drink lots of water. It will help stave of hunger cravings some.

Regardless, you will get hungry, but if you can just make yourself stick to it for a few weeks, you will start seeing results, you will feel less hungry, and it will be easier to stick with for longer.

Exercise: To improve your fitness, you just have to keep doing it. But a couple of guidelines: don't push too hard. You will just tire yourself out, and won't burn as much fat. They key to losing fat and increasing your endurance is going for a long time at a moderate pace. Aim for 45-60 minutes at a moderate pace...you should not be breathing really hard, but your heartrate should be up, and you should be maybe just slightly out of breath. You should be able to talk. You will find if you stick with it, you can cycle harder while feeling like you are making the same exertion as your fitness improves. Maybe buy a cycling computer to measure distance and speed, so you can see your improvements over time.

With the bike, get into a relatively easy gear and spin the pedals at a high cadence--say 80 revolutions per minute, trying to go in as circular a motion as possible, not just pushing down with your feet.

Maybe buy a heart rate monitor (they can be had for pretty cheap now, Radio Shack sells one for $49.99 with a bike mount and quite a few features, and Performance had some on sale recently.) They you can track your heart rate to keep yourself in the right zone for an optimal workout (aim for the "increase fitness zone" not the "fat burning zone"if you can...you will burn just as much fat in the "increase fitness zone" but also build up your cardio system faster. The "fat burning zone" is REALLY easy.)

If you can, lift weights...muscle burns more calories than fat, so the more muscle mass you build, the higher your metabolism becomes.

As your fitness improves, increase your speed, maybe add in some intervals at higher a higher heartrate, and increase your time. You can also mix it up with learning new skills and trying some harder trails, but when starting out, it is a lot easier to improve your fitness on a pretty easy path.

Good luck!

mtbr member

Just don't give up....

this is a choice you have to make. Don't give up. When you get discouraged, don't give up. When you fall behind, don't give up. If it looks like nothing is coming out of this plan of yours, don't give up. In some time, you'll look back and see how far you have come, and how far you can go.

Don't give up.

jps

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for all the great information guys.

I've been on and off dieting for a couple years now, and ive learned the basics of what i need for a good routine. Low fat is usually the best way to go, considering like triscuit stated, when you weight life and do other activities which increase muscle, calories are burning more than fat.

I have the will power, using the entire year membership to the gym I went to and then stopped because i ran out of money at the time.

I dont want anything stopping me now. I have the bike to excercise on, as well as enough to join the gym if need be. I also looked at the ediets website, and that getting all the info first wouldnt be a bad idea just for the routines.

About nice easier trails, Windsor has a couple of nice, smooth, long rides. Also more challenging ones once I get better at the sport.

Now all thats left to do is apply the information I received from you guys.

Thanks alot for the info, and hopefully ill see you guys on the trails.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by imjps

Don't give up.

jps
    Great advice. Remember that every ride you do makes you stronger. You should see a pretty big improvement after your first couple rides, after that it's more gradual. If you need to rest, rest...but if you can shift down and keep plugging away, that's even better.

If at all possible, keep riding year round. I usually slack off big time in winter, this year I kept training. It's made a huge difference in my fitness level, climbs that used to have me huffing and puffing now barely break a sweat. And on those days when you're just not motivated, remember how much fun it is once you hit the trail. If you can find a buddy or group to ride with, that helps too, as long as they're about your level.

Hang in there. If you stick it out a couple months, you'll be amzed how much better you'll be.

Glad to Be Alive
    just cut back the beer...eat snacks like apples, oranges, carrots, celery between meals and when you eat your meal....cut it in half and eat some now and a little later or don't eat it at all
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2005

Don't give up

You should try getting some miles under your belt on flats. Then gradually increase your speed and maybe add intervals then maybe tiny hills. Work up and wotk up. The first months are usually the hardest so keep trying. As for a diet eat carbos the day before a ride. Have a breakfast with maybe carbos and protein and go tear it up!!!!
    This is how I started and I've only been riding for six months. Also a HARDROCK SPORT LANDED ME 10TH IN THE STATE!! Keep trying!!

mtbr member

Hallo

Not much to add here, but I'll throw in a thought or two.

1. Balanced diet if you wanna lose weight. Definitely cut down on your carbs, but don't cut them completely out of your diet. Simply control what you take in. You need those carbs for your energy. Lots of liquids, fruit, vegetables. Lean meats. You'll not only lose weight, but you'll feel lighter after your meals if they're not saturated in fats and carb-high products.
    2. Short, frequent rides is a good way to get used to your bike. Need to deposit a check in a nearby bank branch? Ride your bike there instead of driving. Quick visit to a friend's house who lives close? Ride your bike there. You get the idea. I do this as much as I can, and it helps fill in gaps between longer rides, which I can only do at most once or twice per week.
    3. Ride for fun and because you enjoy it.
    ---
    If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever.
    Is that good news?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Get some street tires and ride out your front door and put a bunch miles behind you. If you don't have a trail close enough to ride to then this is way more convenient than loading and unloading the car, so you can do some riding when you normally wouldn't have the time. Plus you get lots of practice changing tires, which will help when you get that first flat.