Cutting out soda really necesscary?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hazardous to your health!

Cutting out soda really necesscary?

to be a better rider?

i see sooo many races sponsored by redbull and monster and stuff...i know its about how much money they have but also i dont think a race company would take sponsorship from something they would normally advise against...granted these are energy drink companies but still

i will do more searches on here about diet and stuff but i wanted this answered.

i typically drink 2 sodas a day unless i have no cash. sometimes ill even have a big cup of soda from the gas station and.....my go to drink after a ride is a soda after ive finished my water and had a about 15 mins to relax

anyways general question......hope i can get good answers
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

oops shoulda put this in diet

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

AZ
    banned
    Soda is one of the worst substances that you can ingest.

^ okay why?

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Its not just about drinking soda. Its about how much you eat daily. Each person depending on his weight have what we call a "maintenance" calorie intake. Going above the maintenance means fat gains and less is fat loss.

You can drink or eat anything as long as you limit the total calorie within your maintenance level.
    If you exceed your maintenance by 3500 cals a week, then you will gain 1 lb. If you eat 3500 cals less than your maintenance in a week then you will lose a pound.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have the soda habit. I drink one 32oz diet pepsi or coke per day. Where else can I get my daily dose of phosphoric acid?
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Click on the link..it tells you how bad soda is for you...I use to guzzle the stuff..then I was diagnosed diabetic...and now Im trying to lose weight...Ive lost about 20 pds...and hoping to lose more...I really wish I hadnt been such a soda hound...I feel like now I was addicted to it.

Water For Life USA Water Ionizers

Quote Originally Posted by jinda View Post
    Its not just about drinking soda. Its about how much you eat daily. Each person depending on his weight have what we call a "maintenance" calorie intake. Going above the maintenance means fat gains and less is fat loss.

You can drink or eat anything as long as you limit the total calorie within your maintenance level.
    If you exceed your maintenance by 3500 cals a week, then you will gain 1 lb. If you eat 3500 cals less than your maintenance in a week then you will lose a pound.
    do tell me more.....i weigh 190 and im 5'10 if that helps be more specific

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    Click on the link..it tells you how bad soda is for you...I use to guzzle the stuff..then I was diagnosed diabetic...and now Im trying to lose weight...Ive lost about 20 pds...and hoping to lose more...I really wish I hadnt been such a soda hound...I feel like now I was addicted to it.

wow....i didnt know it was that bad....i also drink alot of pink lemonade...probably not the best either

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    May 2011

This couldnt be more far from the truth...Certain foods feed muscle and help in the recovery of muscle as well as help you boost your metabolism during the day. What you get from your food has a lot to do with the food that you are putting in your body...To say you can eat anything you want as long as you stay within a certain caloric intake just isnt true.

mtbr member

Yikes!!!!!
    Thats some crazy info right there.

I perform worst when i drink soda. not got for the body

Never trust a fart
    I drink WAY too much soda. One can of soda has the amount of sugar that is in 2 candy bars. All that excess sugar gets converted into fat if not totally used up.

I've been trying to add in around 2-3 bottles of water daily. One to cut down on the amount of soda I'm drinking, and 2. to also help keep the kidneys flushed out.

A friend of mine cut out soda all together. Didn't change their diet. Still same amount of excercise. Dropped almost 20 lbs within 4 months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    I have the soda habit. I drink one 32oz diet pepsi or coke per day. Where else can I get my daily dose of phosphoric acid?
    Phosphoric acid contributes to lower bone density and kidney stones. Best to avoid it in processed foods.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I drink WAY too much soda...

A friend of mine cut out soda all together.
    When I was ten, the norm for soda was an 8oz. glass bottle, and a muffin was probably 1/4 the size of what a muffin is today.

It's hard not to eat too much when serving sizes are slowly and constantly being increased.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBaxter View Post
    When I was ten, the norm for soda was an 8oz. glass bottle, and a muffin was probably 1/4 the size of what a muffin is today.

It's hard not to eat too much when serving sizes are slowly and constantly being increased.
    As I type this, I'm opening up my 6th can of soda for the day.

But yesterday, I had one glass (12-14 oz) of soda. Go figure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    I drink WAY too much soda. One can of soda has the amount of sugar that is in 2 candy bars. All that excess sugar gets converted into fat if not totally used up.

I've been trying to add in around 2-3 bottles of water daily. One to cut down on the amount of soda I'm drinking, and 2. to also help keep the kidneys flushed out.

A friend of mine cut out soda all together. Didn't change their diet. Still same amount of excercise. Dropped almost 20 lbs within 4 months.
    If you drink Soda regularly then its part your daily diet. If your friend cut his soda then he changed his diet and reduced his calorie intake.

1 8oz bottle of regular coca cola is 100 calories. 1 can of diet coke has ZERO calories.
    Regardless of how much sugar is in your drink, the thing that will make you fat is the excess in calories you are taking. The effect of too much sugar will be in another way, maybe too much water weight retention and/or getting diabetic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm not worried about the calories as much as the rotten teeth and kidney stones. Ever had to pass a kidney stone? If not, find someone who has and ask them if too much soda is worth it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    I'm not worried about the calories as much as the rotten teeth and kidney stones. Ever had to pass a kidney stone? If not, find someone who has and ask them if too much soda is worth it.
    I am replying based on the assumption that the OP is asking if cutting soda is good for overall performance improvement in his biking.

That's why I mentioned about calorie effect and not about the effect of soda on your kidney. I am not trying to tell people not to cut soda. Its up to them, what I am saying is the OP should be worrying about something else than just soda to perform better in his riding. That's why I pointed out diet. Exercise of course is another thing that can contribute to better performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hazardousmtb View Post
    do tell me more.....i weigh 190 and im 5'10 if that helps be more specific
    Your weight and height may not be enough to say whether you are fit or not. It all depends on your body composition. You can be a 190 lbs muscular guy standing at 5'10" or a 190 lbs fat ass.

Assuming you are an office working guy who doesnt work out and have average daily activities, your calorie maintenance level should be around 2700 cals a day. Thats about 3 double whoppers a day That's the level where you don't gain nor lose fats on your current status.

There is a good site about losing fats naturally thru diet and just working out: Check it if you want:

Losing Fat - Bodybuilding.com Forums

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 96p993 View Post
    This couldnt be more far from the truth...Certain foods feed muscle and help in the recovery of muscle as well as help you boost your metabolism during the day. What you get from your food has a lot to do with the food that you are putting in your body...To say you can eat anything you want as long as you stay within a certain caloric intake just isnt true.
    It depends on how people will understand what I said. If lets say your total intake per day is 2000 cals, you will not eat 2000 calories worth of chocolates right? Or drink 2000 calories worth of soda.

When I said "you can eat whatever you want", its more on not so much worrying about a small thing which is just part of a big thing. For me its like, I can drink soda, eat chocolates, rice, veggies, pork, beef etc in a single day as long as it fits in my diet.

I expected people from here not to understand it as eating 2000 cals of chocolate or whatever. Lets trust them more and hope that they know what they are doing

I just based my point from IIFYM, I have done it and more people are benefiting from it. Look it up if you think its not true

Beer Me!
    Substitute a beer for every time you want a soda, and you will be a much happier man

IMO it all comes back to moderation. A occasional soda won't kill your fitness and won't make you diabetic, you just shouldn't guzzle the stuff. To even argue the opposite point, in the Tour De France (1980's ish i think), they often passed "bonking" riders a Coke for quick sugar and some caffeine.

mtbr member
    When I stopped drinking a soda per day, I lost weight. (I switched from soda to ice coffee, black)

When I stopped drinking beer, and started drinking red wine, I really lost weight. When I cut back on the red wine, I lost even more weight.

This sucks.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    When I stopped drinking a soda per day, I lost weight. (I switched from soda to ice coffee, black)

When I stopped drinking beer, and started drinking red wine, I really lost weight. When I cut back on the red wine, I lost even more weight.

This sucks.
    When you cut back on appendages or fingers you lose weight too. Jeez man, that perspective makes this whole idea seem crappy.

What about If i ride more i lose weight, and keep the drinking to fun levels?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    to be a better rider?

i see sooo many races sponsored by redbull and monster and stuff...i know its about how much money they have but also i dont think a race company would take sponsorship from something they would normally advise against...granted these are energy drink companies but still

i will do more searches on here about diet and stuff but i wanted this answered.

i typically drink 2 sodas a day unless i have no cash. sometimes ill even have a big cup of soda from the gas station and.....my go to drink after a ride is a soda after ive finished my water and had a about 15 mins to relax

anyways general question......hope i can get good answers
    It Soda is about 200 cal a good solid ride will burn about 500 cal/hr (breathing hard)...so each soda is 20 minutes on the bike...

Caffeine is a different issue....it helps insulin transfer blood sugar into the muscles or the fat cells....depends on whether the energy is required or not...

So if you drink a caffeinated sweet soda...you had better be riding the bike.

mtbr member
    you seem pretty argumentative for just asking a question about soda. seems like you would like for us to just agree that its okay.

it depends on your personal fitness goals and what you can or cant get away with. seems to me like you just want to talk yourself into thinking its okay. and if you are comfortable at your weight/fitness level/etc... and you still drink soda, good for you. nothing wrong with that at all. it would take you all of a couple of minutes to use a search engine to find the negatives of ingesting that garbage. i stick to water on a regular basis, low cal hyrdration drinks, and the occasional beer . that said, i am watching my nutrition and one of the first places to cut calories or sweets is getting rid of soda all together. I met my weight goal about a month ago and plan to keep it as such and now improve my fitness level....soda doesnt fit into my goals.

you ask if it will make a person a better rider to not drink soda, a question with too many variables to get a solid answer. are there pros and experts that drink soda regularly? far and few between... and even the few have strict nutritional plans that are adjusted to what they intake.

bottom line is that stuff isnt good for you, no matter how you cut it or make excuses for it. if you can drink soda and are happy with your fitness level and abilities with those fitness levels, more power to you. if you feel like your nutritional life style is slowing you down or its something to work on, cut that crap out of there.

my $.02 if anyone cares
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Soda is absolutely horrible. I've lost a good bit of weight since I started to drink water instead of soda.

Texan
    I love cycling, but I also love living. Some people put every dime they earn in the bank waiting to retire when they are too old to do anything but watch soaps.

And then there is the leafy green grass eating, PETA crowd who worries about Cow farts who eventually gets hit by a energy conscious bus.

I HATE buses! I'm drinking Mountain Dew, drinking beer, and living for the day!

Your weight and height may not be enough to say whether you are fit or not. It all depends on your body composition. You can be a 190 lbs muscular guy standing at 5'10" or a 190 lbs fat ass.

Assuming you are an office working guy who doesnt work out and have average daily activities, your calorie maintenance level should be around 2700 cals a day. Thats about 3 double whoppers a day That's the level where you don't gain nor lose fats on your current status.

There is a good site about losing fats naturally thru diet and just working out: Check it if you want:

my god,...how it would be to have a job...nope im in school and i workout a few times and starting today alot more a week since im training for a duathlon and my mtb races and would rather not embarass myself

This sucks.
    i dont drink that much beer but i know this....my gf is gonna throw it in my face because im not drinking soda now but ill drink a beer every now and then..great

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

my god,...how it would be to have a job...nope im in school and i workout a few times and starting today alot more a week since im training for a duathlon and my mtb races and would rather not embarass myself

This sucks.
    i dont drink that much beer but i know this....my gf is gonna throw it in my face because im not drinking soda now but ill drink a beer every now and then..great

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    When you cut back on appendages or fingers you lose weight too. Jeez man, that perspective makes this whole idea seem crappy.

What about If i ride more i lose weight, and keep the drinking to fun levels?
    im the same way i want to be "healthier" actually no its about being a better rider and i guess being healtheir goes hand in hand but to get me to quit some stuff ..no lol ill jst ride more!

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
    you seem pretty argumentative for just asking a question about soda. seems like you would like for us to just agree that its okay.
    it depends on your personal fitness goals and what you can or cant get away with. seems to me like you just want to talk yourself into thinking its okay. and if you are comfortable at your weight/fitness level/etc... and you still drink soda, good for you. nothing wrong with that at all. it would take you all of a couple of minutes to use a search engine to find the negatives of ingesting that garbage. i stick to water on a regular basis, low cal hyrdration drinks, and the occasional beer . that said, i am watching my nutrition and one of the first places to cut calories or sweets is getting rid of soda all together. I met my weight goal about a month ago and plan to keep it as such and now improve my fitness level....soda doesnt fit into my goals.

you ask if it will make a person a better rider to not drink soda, a question with too many variables to get a solid answer. are there pros and experts that drink soda regularly? far and few between... and even the few have strict nutritional plans that are adjusted to what they intake.

bottom line is that stuff isnt good for you, no matter how you cut it or make excuses for it. if you can drink soda and are happy with your fitness level and abilities with those fitness levels, more power to you. if you feel like your nutritional life style is slowing you down or its something to work on, cut that crap out of there.

my $.02 if anyone cares
    idk where you got that from but ur advice is very noted. thanks i am not really tat happy with my fitness levels but then again i just recently started to be shown what fast and in shape really is

i have no interest or weight loss goal in mind. i dont have a beer belly or anything but you certainly cant see my abs..almost tho hahahahaha! but if i lose weight in the process sure! i was 185 8 months ago tho. dammit haha

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    OG Ripley v2

since 4/10/2009
    Soda is really not good for you. The only benefit it might have would be quick energy if you really needed it.

That said, it tastes good and I like it too much to eliminate it entirely. But, I don't drink it that much. I don't even drink one small soda per week. I usually don't even drink that much beer or wine for that matter. But I do enjoy all three beverages, and I will generally choose beer or wine over soda when possible because the calories that accompany one beer or wine come with other benefits, instead of with soda where you get enamel erosion, more salts that stress the kidneys, and simple sugars that screw up your body's insulin response.

mtbr member
    oops shoulda put this in diet
    no, this type of question fits perfectly in the Beginner subforum...

mtbr member

While I'll agree that soda isn't the best thing for you to drink ( I love Coke and Sundrop), I'd find a better source than a company that's using the list to sell their product......

mtbr member
    OP, why not try going 2 weeks with absolutely no soda. switch every soda you would normally drink with a water. in 2 weeks, report back how you feel. id be curious myself.
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    OP, why not try going 2 weeks with absolutely no soda. switch every soda you would normally drink with a water. in 2 weeks, report back how you feel. id be curious myself.
    Don't do it that way. I have a bad soda habit since I started working from home. If you try cold turkey you will get bad headache from the caffeine withdrawals. You need to step it down.

I can't find the article, soda is processed by the body the same way beer is and can cause a beer belly, and I'm proof of that.

Stop now while you're younger.
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I drink a lot of water and try to cut out soda but moderation I think is best practice. After several weeks of just water I felt better in some ways but I always craved soda. I will say now that when I do drink soda it is like an energy drink and sometimes way way too syrupy. If there was just an alternative that was good and healthy Even juice has too much sugar.

mtbr member
    Look regular soda is terrible for you because its like taking sugar, mixing it in a glass with water and drinking it. The effects on your insulin regulatory system are profound and completely unhealthy I dont care what you weigh or how old you are.

Diet soda (which I used to drink a ton of) is full of Nutrasweet. Do some research into the effects of NS on the body and be prepared to be scared. Your body is simply not prepared to process the stuff. It has negative neurological and other physiological effects that cannot be ignored. Further it has been proven that as far as weight loss is concerned your body treats NS much the same as sugar (you dont get the calories but you do get the insulin dump).

I used to love soda but to be honest the shi# shouldnt be legal anymore than cigarettes should be.

I drink iced tea and water mostly. Once you get used to not drinking soda you wonder what all the hype was about...
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Take it from someone who has lost 140 lbs., cut out the soda.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Diet soda is horrible too.

Some Dude
    I was totally addicted to Monster energy drinks a couple years ago and I'm pretty sure it led to me requiring a root canal. Not fun, except for the nitrous but now I am addicted to their zero calorie/sugar version called "Absolutely Zero" which contains erythritol, inositol, and other things people have never heard of. At least I am not not drinking the sugar loaded original version. Now I need to implement some self control and get off these ones...

Last edited by ccs1676; 10-24-2011 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rluper View Post
    I drink a lot of water and try to cut out soda but moderation I think is best practice. After several weeks of just water I felt better in some ways but I always craved soda. I will say now that when I do drink soda it is like an energy drink and sometimes way way too syrupy. If there was just an alternative that was good and healthy Even juice has too much sugar.
    A little lemon juice in the water just might be it.

allright yeah i will do that this will give me more motifivation. its so bad cuz right now im home alone and i want a SODA! so im having apple juice

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Don't do it that way. I have a bad soda habit since I started working from home. If you try cold turkey you will get bad headache from the caffeine withdrawals. You need to step it down.

I can't find the article, soda is processed by the body the same way beer is and can cause a beer belly, and I'm proof of that.

Stop now while you're younger.
    isnt my first time quitting but im hoping itll be my last. ill never QUIT but ill def try to not drink it so often

Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Look regular soda is terrible for you because its like taking sugar, mixing it in a glass with water and drinking it. The effects on your insulin regulatory system are profound and completely unhealthy I dont care what you weigh or how old you are.

Diet soda (which I used to drink a ton of) is full of Nutrasweet. Do some research into the effects of NS on the body and be prepared to be scared. Your body is simply not prepared to process the stuff. It has negative neurological and other physiological effects that cannot be ignored. Further it has been proven that as far as weight loss is concerned your body treats NS much the same as sugar (you dont get the calories but you do get the insulin dump).

I used to love soda but to be honest the shi# shouldnt be legal anymore than cigarettes should be.

I drink iced tea and water mostly. Once you get used to not drinking soda you wonder what all the hype was about...
    the problem with me is that im not a big drinker. i dont even like tea or cofvfee only juice, mexican cinnamon tea, or water. i dont even like milk alone -_-

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i know its about how much money they have but also i dont think a race company would take sponsorship from something they would normally advise against...granted these are energy drink companies but still
    Companies exist to make money. If a company told you something that contradicts that, it's because they want to make money off of YOU.

I like Squishy Bikes

Did Somebody say...SunDrop
    Sugar & Caffeine, the 2 major food groups
    I've quit Soda a few times & it is easy to drop (wink wink nudge nudge) 10lbs and to once again sleep like a baby
    (minus the diaper changes).
    Read those labels, some bottles of tea & even good ole Gatorade have just as much sugar than some colas.

A dirty book is rarely dusty

how do they make money off me? the red bulls are free to athletes lol

i get what ur saying tho

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Well, I think that if it's something you crave and something you consume a lot of it's silly to try to cut it out completely. It'll just lead to a "relapse" if you will. But yes, you'd be better off drinking less of it than you do now.

I used to drink way too much tonic. I still drink a lot (too much) but I mean I used to drink waaay too much.

I cut back a lot, but still drank it. I just wouldn't keep any in the house. But I'd grab one at dinner, after a ride, at the office. A year later of just cutting back on that and other crap, and ridding the snot out of my bike I lose forty pounds...

That being said, a nice cold Mt. Dew is still my mid ride drink while taking a break riding BMX around Boston.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post

Did Somebody say...SunDrop
    Sugar & Caffeine, the 2 major food groups
    I've quit Soda a few times & it is easy to drop (wink wink nudge nudge) 10lbs and to once again sleep like a baby
    (minus the diaper changes).
    Read those labels, some bottles of tea & even good ole Gatorade have just as much sugar than some colas.

gatorade i love that ****

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    I had to give up pop during soccer seasons in college. After not having it for a long time, I lost my taste for it. I guess it's a good thing, but sometimes I want to enjoy a nice cold Coke. The idea is great, but after I drink a Coke I feel like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kona_CT View Post
    Well, I think that if it's something you crave and something you consume a lot of it's silly to try to cut it out completely. It'll just lead to a "relapse" if you will. But yes, you'd be better off drinking less of it than you do now.

I used to drink way too much tonic. I still drink a lot (too much) but I mean I used to drink waaay too much.

I cut back a lot, but still drank it. I just wouldn't keep any in the house. But I'd grab one at dinner, after a ride, at the office. A year later of just cutting back on that and other crap, and ridding the snot out of my bike I lose forty pounds...

That being said, a nice cold Mt. Dew is still my mid ride drink while taking a break riding BMX around Boston.
    ive done a 24 pack in 7 days...not including what i drank when i went out or at someone elses house...that was a dark time haha

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Soda

I use to drink close to a gallon of soda a day. I quit cold turkey after talking to a body builder friend of mine. I understand the insulin spikes and sugar content, however was disappointed that I felt no better. I didn't drink any soda for a year with no change in feeling. It has been a few years now and I do drink some diet. I'm 145 pounds and eat around 3000 calories a day. Some days are cleaner than others and some days are garbage. I usually am around 9-10% bodyfat.

im not sure ill feel any different but at least my body will be happier wiith me haha

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    "Adding 140 extra calories—one can of Coke—to your daily diet can add about one pound to your weight every 25 days. If you’re part of the 5 percent of America drinking more than 4 cans a day, you’re looking at one pound every week."

How to Avoid Gaining 50 Pounds | Men's Health News
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

damn......thats a mind blower

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    im not sure ill feel any different but at least my body will be happier wiith me haha
    I didn't wake up one morning a month later and say to myself, "wow, with all the toxins out of my body-I do sure feel great!"
    I don't know if it really happens that way for anyone.. (maybe?)
    Anyways, no longer drinking soda was a part of a turning point, so to speak, in my life. It was a part of losing weight and getting back outside more. I've lost a good amount of body fat and put on a lot more muscle to the point that you would have a bit of a hard time telling it was me if you looked at a picture of me 4 years ago. For that, I feel great. I'm not always euphoric about it, but I ride up a mountain and know that I couldn't do that years ago. Some people, like my older self, need to quit more then other people. Certainly, everyone benefits from it though.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBaxter View Post
    Phosphoric acid contributes to lower bone density and kidney stones. Best to avoid it in processed foods.
    I work in the OR, involving total joint replacements and see first hand what a soda and fast food lifestyle will do to the inside of your bones. In a worst case senario, the cancellous bone has turned to goo.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    As someone who has recently jumped on the diet horse, give soda a miss, empty calories dude, seriously

Quote Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post
    As someone who has recently jumped on the diet horse, give soda a miss, empty calories dude, seriously
    what? lol i have no idea what u said minus the diet horse

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Oops.

psycho cyclo addict
    If you need caffeine, drink free coffee @ work. Not the best cup of joe but beats paying for $tarubuck$ (I do not like the taste of their coffee anyway- there are a lot of non-mass production roasters that have MUCH BETTER flavor).

A colleague at work is hooked on Coke. He drinks three 20oz bottles every day!

I suggested that it would be more cost effective to purchase 2 liter bottles @.99 each but he says that it would be too depressing to see that he kills just a bout a whole one of those each day and he likes the feel of the smaller bottle and the coldness of the ones out of the machines (must like the sound of pumping $4.50 in there every day too). Do yourself a big favor and drink water or coffee (without a bunch of crap in it) if you need a boost.

mtbr member
    Nothing to see here. Carry on...carry on...

^ i hate coffee lol

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    lol this is still going on?
    OP only asked if cutting soda is necessary for his biking performance.

I guess not necessary but...
    - If you don't want to gain weight but cant cut soda then drink diet soda.
    - If you think its really bad for you then cut it.

Simple as that.

see me rollin, they hatin
    even if you are not overweight, the high sugar (corn syrup) boost causes a huge spike in blood sugar. that constant spiking and crashing stresses your pancreas and can set you up for later diabetes. now they're saying that sugary soda increases pancreatic cancer risk.

i do find that sugar keeps my engery during a long ride, but otherwise, it doesnt belong in a normal diet.

mtbr member
    still going on? I cant believe this thread was started in the first place!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    OP only asked if cutting soda is necessary for his biking performance.

I guess not necessary but...
    - If you don't want to gain weight but cant cut soda then drink diet soda.
    - If you think its really bad for you then cut it.

Simple as that.
    Diet soda is a complete joke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Care to explain why? I am not a soda addict but when I drink, I just get a diet or zero.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    It's actually pretty good for cleaning corroded car battery terminals.

But I'd agree that it's best to remove soda from your diet entirely (diet soda or not). I believe a healthy diet would consist of veggies including lots of greens, and foods with as little processing as possible. Baked chicken, seafood, and red meat sparingly are good. Avoid fried foods, crackers, chips, cookies, candy bars, etc for the most part. And drink lots of water.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

This sucks.

I did this exact thing. Except I have just a good whiskey on the rocks.

But I can noticeably tell weight loss within a week when I cut out soda and beer. Oh well. I like whiskey, so it works.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Careful with those Energy drinks (monster etc) as quite a few of them have as much sugar as a soda.

Sugar in Drinks

Here's a great site that displays the sugar in cubes in front of the beverage... btw, Vitamin Water is imho the worst offender b/c it's supposed to be WATER.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Vitamin Water Zero seems to be pretty good, regular Vitamin Water is terrible for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by FLMike View Post
    still going on? I cant believe this thread was started in the first place!
    i believe its a legitimate question and it is in the beginners corner. what do you expect?

and it seems to interestt everyone else. dont read it if its a problem

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Care to explain why? I am not a soda addict but when I drink, I just get a diet or zero.
    do some googling - here's an example:
    Bad News, Your "Diet" Soda Is Making You Fat Too
    Opting for diet soda instead of regular, won't help fight the bulge.

Data from a recent study by the American Diabetes Association shows that while diet sodas may be free of calories, they do not prevent you from gaining weight (via CBS). In fact, they may contribute to weight gain. Diet soda also contributes to diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions.

Read more: Bad News, Your "Diet" Soda Is Making You Fat Too - Business Insider

bottom line - diet is the A#1 determining factor in long-term fitness and health...excessive consumption of any sodas* is bad for you.

As others have mentioned 'moderation' is key.

my .02

* not soda water ya goofs
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    do some googling - here's an example:
    Bad News, Your "Diet" Soda Is Making You Fat Too

bottom line - diet is the A#1 determining factor in long-term fitness and health...excessive consumption of any sodas* is bad for you.

As others have mentioned 'moderation' is key.

my .02

* not soda water ya goofs
    Whenever I see someone with a diet soda, I have wonder what they think about drinking it. I would imagine that it is something along the lines of the assumption that so long as there are zero calories, I'm drinking something healthy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Why I quit drinking soda...

I visited a customer (I'm a consultant) a few years back and he had a glass with some dark brown liquid in it. He moved the glass at one point and the liquid didn't move at all, almost like it was plastic, wax or even molasses. I asked him what it was and he said that he left a glass of soda on his desk when he went on a month long vacation. When he had come back the water had evaporated and all that was left was the syrup.

The thought of ingesting that, made me leave soda.

since 4/10/2009
    ^ i hate coffee lol
    I hated coffee, too, until a little over a year ago. My wife got me to taste 100% Organic Kona coffee grown at high altitude. Man, was that stuff smooth! To this day, we keep a bag of it around the house at all times (at $55/lb). After drinking that for awhile, I was able to appreciate other good coffees. I've been enjoying a locally roasted organic Ethiopian yirgacheff coffee in the office lately.

I still can't drink that Folgers swill, but I enjoy quality coffees completely black now. And when compared to the organic Kona (the "special occasion" coffee), everything else seems pretty affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post

I visited a customer (I'm a consultant) a few years back and he had a glass with some dark brown liquid in it. He moved the glass at one point and the liquid didn't move at all, almost like it was plastic, wax or even molasses. I asked him what it was and he said that he left a glass of soda on his desk when he went on a month long vacation. When he had come back the water had evaporated and all that was left was the syrup.

wow...that does sound pretty nasty

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sjhiker View Post

Had the same thing with apple juice. I found it interesting im sure soda wouldve been worse though.

mtbr member
    it was easier to quit smoking then it has been to quit my soda addiction, coke zero has helped but i have relapses.

keep fighting it, cutting it out for some people isnt ever going to happen but i would like to get it to the point i only have pop when i go out once or twice a month for dinner.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Soda is one of the worst substances that you can ingest.
    I tend to agree.

Drink Kool-Aid

Afric Pepperbird
    Soda.... it's not just for breakfast anymore

lost 5 lbs from biking and no soda. but ate normal so idk if its the soda or the ride..... had one soda yesterday and now im back on track i dont think ill ever quit maybe only drink when i go out

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtb enthusiast
    YouTube: Sugar The Bitter Truth

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Remember its not "all" about the uphill...

... getting fatter and flying downhill is part of it also!

Gravity is your friend... LOL

Dew da Dew
    Dip the chips
    Yummm...donuts!

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    This is a depressing post. I love soda...

I do notice that the more I ride the less I crave soda. My body wants water.

Chubby Chaser
    Two cans a day is a LOT. I love soda, but I try to drink it in moderation. If I'm eating something that goes REALLY well with soda (ie. bbq), I'll do it.

You'd be amazed how much of that soda can add up inches of fat to your gut. When I was trying to drop into the single digit bodyfat I went on a cut and didn't drink soda at all for a good 3 months. Funny thing is after a certain amount of time you don't even crave it anymore.

If you're serious about training, drink water water water water water.... cut out the soda.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I recently kicked a one can of ginger ale a day habit. I also cut out sugar in my morning coffee. That I had to do slowly. From 2 sugars down to 1 then none. The good side effect of having no sugar in the coffee is now I can appreciate a good cup of coffee for what it is as opposed to drowning it in sugar. A bad cup of coffee is still just bad.
    I feel better about not drinking soda and some of it might even just be mental. looking around at a restaurant or the mall or out in public and seeing the big fat guy with his supersize soda in hand is gross.

lol who blamed corporate?

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Come on! Cola was invented in 1886. It became VERY popular in the early 1900's, yet people didn't have obesity problems back then. The same can be said about McD's.
    You can't blame soda and McD's for obesity or anything else. Laziness and ignorance are the culprits. You can't eat McD's every day just because you're "too busy" to cook a real meal.

Cola and McD's are treats. Do you eat icecream and sugarsticks for every meal?

Sorry about the rant, but the typical "blame the corporate giant for my problems" argument came to mind. lol

Bicycle Radical
    I quit the once a day pop habit years ago and dropped 20 pounds within about a month.

Nowadays, I have one once a week with a meal or as a treat. By no means is my regular source of hydration. That would be frightening....

been about a week n a half, i didnt sucessfully QUIT soda but ive had maybe 4 in the past 11 days and while it was NOT my intention, i shaved off 7 pounds off my morning weight lol

i feel the same tho, only difference is a craving for more to drink rather than drinking less when i had soda,i drink alot more water now, so much im filling up my bike water bottle every 3 hours or so or if i use my 32 oz one, twice in an 8 hour day and while i would like to blame drowsiness in my chemistry class on no soda (since lunch/soda is typically right before that class), i really shouldn't but i cant help it lol in class is when i miss soda the most so i nibble on something like peanuts or gum...

also with eliminating soda ive eliminated caffeine since i dont drink tea or coffee or eat chocolate minus Halloween

let me know if anyone wants more updates

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ...let me know if anyone wants more updates
    congrats!

and keep'em coming...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've almost cut soda out completely, it's a treat or a caffeine pick me up when I do drink it. Don't drink much coffee either, which makes it 'interesting' when I eat or drink anything with caffeine.

i really do miss the sodas after a ride lol havnt ridden this week tho

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    congrats!

and keep'em coming...
    will do, i figure i can update it again in 2 more weeks

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    I cut out Diet Coke which I was drinking a lot and drink Carbonated Water now. I tried just water but I still craved Diet Coke but now with Carbonated Water I do not have the cravings anymore.

Is there anything wrong with Carbonated Water I should be worried about? I like that I can get 2liter bottles from Publix for $0.89

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I love cycling, but I also love living. Some people put every dime they earn in the bank waiting to retire when they are too old to do anything but watch soaps.

And then there is the leafy green grass eating, PETA crowd who worries about Cow farts who eventually gets hit by a energy conscious bus.

I HATE buses! I'm drinking Mountain Dew, drinking beer, and living for the day!
    Amen!!

I try to not drink too much soda or drink too much beer, but I want to live a little too and not worry about every little thing I do. I believe that unless you are getting paid to ride, a little common sense and moderation goes a long way to making a nice balancing act between being healthy or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Senor StrongBad View Post
    I cut out Diet Coke which I was drinking a lot and drink Carbonated Water now. I tried just water but I still craved Diet Coke but now with Carbonated Water I do not have the cravings anymore.

Is there anything wrong with Carbonated Water I should be worried about? I like that I can get 2liter bottles from Publix for $0.89
    just the acid in it, not much else. i drink that stuff alot too

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

mtbr member
    im not sure about others but i made some minor changes to my diet and one major change,no more sodas. so far its been about two months and i have lost 30lbs im sure the other minor changes helped also but the soda was the best change i have made.not only did i lose weight but i can take that 5.00$ from the 12 pack's and the 6.00 from the cigs i also quit and buy bike parts. also most of the people i talked to all said diet soda was as bad or worse than regular soda so i wouldnt go that route,nothing like good old water and ice tea.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast