Cujo 2 vs. Timberjack 27.5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Cujo 2 vs. Timberjack 27.5

Trying to decide. Cujo is around $1300 and a Deore Timberjack is $1249. Havenít ridden either but itís about what Iím looking to spend. Cujo 2 seems to have better components. Any thoughts on which would be better for a 5-10 230 pound fella?

mtbr member
    those bikes are pretty evenly matched, not much difference, I'm a bigger guy myself and depending on the type riding you are going to do, I would spend a bit more and get something with a lifetime warranty on the frame. Let us know what you decide on and post pix.
    good luck and enjoy!
    " What do you want for yourself?"

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR/DL 29

jcd's best friend
    We've had quite a few folks buy a Timberjack and loved them to death. You can't go wrong with either, but it seems people love the Timberjack!
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    My wife loves hers
    " What do you want for yourself?"

2018 Roll Comp X1
    2018 Santa Cruz HT 27.5+
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR/DL 29

Bikesexual
    You can take a look at the TJ thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/timber...d-1031040.html

That would be my vote, Salsa makes some pretty nice bikes.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I thought the cujo was a cool bike, but when it came out they had a weird (3mm? 5mm?) Offset on the rear wheel. This made it less attractive to me as no off the shelf wheel would fit without alteration, and it seemed pointlessly complicated.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I thought the cujo was a cool bike, but when it came out they had a weird (3mm? 5mm?) Offset on the rear wheel. This made it less attractive to me as no off the shelf wheel would fit without alteration, and it seemed pointlessly complicated.

Cannondale's been doing it for years on a number of bikes. Before boost was a thing. The Guerrilla Gravity does it WITH boost. I don't think it's a big deal. Ok, a machine built wheel will have to be tweaked to work. But it's not like it requires special parts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Cannondale's been doing it for years on a number of bikes. Before boost was a thing. The Guerrilla Gravity does it WITH boost. I don't think it's a big deal. Ok, a machine built wheel will have to be tweaked to work. But it's not like it requires special parts.
    You don't think it's a big deal, but it may it may not be for the OP.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Can you elaborate on this offset? Iím not exactly sure what you guys are talking about. My intended use is trails mostly. Nothing crazy. Single track type stuff.

mtbr member
    ^^^ don't worry about it. But if you must know, the hub is slightly right of center from the bike and rim so the spokes can have a better angle for more even tension from left to right and make a more durable, but less standard wheel. A regular wheel can be adjusted to match if you needed a replacement, and could notice the difference. You'd only need a spoke wrench and some patience.

The bikes are pretty similar, and should ride about the same. You could choose by price or color and not feel bad. About the only thing that would really drive you to the Salsa are the fancy rear drop-outs that allow different hub types. The Cannondale would do better to mount a rear rack. The Cannondale is 2x10 which is a bit out of date, but the Salsa is a 1x10 which is a compromise for gear range and has bigger shifts. My Timberjack is a 2018 NX 1x11 model and I like it a lot, the 2019 version is 1x12 and more ex$pensive

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
    ^^^ don't worry about it. But if you must know, the hub is slightly right of center from the bike and rim so the spokes can have a better angle for more even tension from left to right and make a more durable, but less standard wheel. A regular wheel can be adjusted to match if you needed a replacement, and could notice the difference. You'd only need a spoke wrench and some patience.

The bikes are pretty similar, and should ride about the same. You could choose by price or color and not feel bad. About the only thing that would really drive you to the Salsa are the fancy rear drop-outs that allow different hub types. The Cannondale would do better to mount a rear rack. The Cannondale is 2x10 which is a bit out of date, but the Salsa is a 1x10 which is a compromise for gear range and has bigger shifts. My Timberjack is a 2018 NX 1x11 model and I like it a lot, the 2019 version is 1x12 and more ex$pensive
    Understood. Thanks for clarifying. Two different lbsís carry both brands so I suppose a ride on each will clarify things.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Can you elaborate on this offset? Iím not exactly sure what you guys are talking about. My intended use is trails mostly. Nothing crazy. Single track type stuff.
    Something you can forget about completely, until you want/need a new rear wheel. If building it yourself, or having someone else build it, all you need to do is account for it so the wheel can be built right. If buying a pre-built wheel, the new rear wheel will have to be adjusted to center the rim correctly. Really, not a big deal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    You can take a look at the TJ thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/timber...d-1031040.html

That would be my vote, Salsa makes some pretty nice bikes.
    another item for the pro/con list:

timberjack has it's own thread with thousands of replies... I didn't find one for cujo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    1 vote for the Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Something you can forget about completely, until you want/need a new rear wheel. If building it yourself, or having someone else build it, all you need to do is account for it so the wheel can be built right. If buying a pre-built wheel, the new rear wheel will have to be adjusted to center the rim correctly. Really, not a big deal.
    The "it" we're talking about is that the rims on a cujo are offset to one side by 3-5mm from what is considered standard. I believe they did this for drivetrain clearance. Very few other bikes in this category did this, Cannondale, and maybe a couple others?

What does it mean? If you take a wheel off another bike or but a standard off-the-shelf rear wheel, it will not sit with the rim/tire centered in the frame. You or your lbs will need to alter the wheel to move it over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Went with a Timberjack. Should get the call to pickup in a day or two.