Creaking, rear hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Creaking, rear hub?

I've been noticing an annoying creak coming from the rear of my bike (specialized hardrock if it makes any difference at all). It's not all the time; I only notice it when I have my weight shifted rear of center of the bike, so most of the time when I'm sitting and spinning. Is this coming from the bearings in the rear hub? If so, what do I have to do to grease/replace the bearings?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    what kind of rear hub? (Mavic, Shimano, Hope, Chris King, etc.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    it's probably not the hub if it's intermittent...I would look at saddle/seatpost and then secondly at the pedals (make sure you have the pedal washer and both are greased)....after that you might want to look at the crank (stand next to something you can hang onto then while applying the brakes put your weight down on the crank to see if you can replicate the creak)....sound travels thru an aluminum frame so sometimes the noise isn't coming from where you think you hear it....best of luck!
    30,000+ Bike Parts and Accessories...Largest Inventory on the Internet

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Checked the saddle and seatpost already, definitely note those. And it's not the pedals or crank because I hear it even when I don't put any torque on them (plus I've kept the pedals well lubed up) and when I'm sitting down with no weight on the crank. The noise, when I hear it, occurs proportionately to the period of the wheel (I hear it about once per revolution of the rear wheel).

And I'm not sure what the actual hub is; spec just has on their website "Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 32h". Not exactly sure what that means.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by airdonut41
    Checked the saddle and seatpost already, definitely note those. And it's not the pedals or crank because I hear it even when I don't put any torque on them (plus I've kept the pedals well lubed up) and when I'm sitting down with no weight on the crank. The noise, when I hear it, occurs proportionately to the period of the wheel (I hear it about once per revolution of the rear wheel).

And I'm not sure what the actual hub is; spec just has on their website "Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 32h". Not exactly sure what that means.
    probably shimano....most free-wheel hubs can be taken apart and cleaned up but that's about it..........if it has sealed bearing cartridges not much you can do as far as servicing them....

It might just be the mechanism has some dirt/grime or it could be something else.....you need a chain-whip and a cassete remover/lock ring tool which are rather inexpensive tools in order to service it.......the cost of the tools might be the same (or even less) than taking it to a bike shop....

Trying not to kill myself
    Try lubing and tightening up the rear skewer.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Once per revolution?

Maybe it's your disc rotor? The freehub body sounds like a good place to look too, and maybe even the bearing itself.

The easiest to look for is a warped rotor. Give the wheel a spin, look through your disc caliper, and see if the rotor is coming in contact with the pads. I find this easier to see if I hold a piece of paper on the other side of the caliper, so there's a white background.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 2