creaking frame kona process- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

creaking frame kona process

I have a 2013 kona process that has been COMPLETELY rebuilt around some creaks.

I have the wheels manufacturing BB tat is amazing brand new sram cranks.

the bike is serviced often

I have 100 percent narrowed the creak down to right around the waterbottle inserts. I can flex the frame standing still and it comes from exactly there but internally.

WTF can i do its creaking sorta annoyingly bad.

spray some triflow inside?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I would definitely go do a cosmetic check over. Look for any signs of damage. This is probably not the case. I had a similar problem with my rebuilt Giant Talon. It was from the pressure of the seat post hitting the bottle cage screws in the seat tube. Where the two screws are, there are metal things that they thread into and stop the seat from going too far into the frame. Take the seat post out, then try to recreate the noise. Also, put the seat back most of the way but not all the way. Then, sit on the bike and rock up and down on the seat. I hoped this helped. This is at least what my solution on my bike was.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Creaks can be hard to track down. The sounds can seem to come from one place, but the cause can be somewhere else entirely. Common causes of creaks: suspension pivots/seatpost/saddle rails/headset/pedals/BB/crankset/chainring bolts/etc. Basically any bolt that's not had either grease or threadlocker applied can be a candidate.

Have you lubed the seatpost and rails with a very light coat of grease? That's where I usually start after the BB. Then headset. Suspension pivots after that. Basically working your way from things directly attached to the frame working out. Hope this makes sense. Feelin' a bit sleepy.

mtbr member
    get a good listing of torque specs for that bike and check everything with a calibrated torque wrench. often, sounds like that come from bottom brackets, cranksets, and pedals that were not installed correctly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    so i used a stethoscope and listened as i moved things on the frame and its definitly the BOSS water bottle inserts. so i removed the bolts and it got way better.. bringing it in to the shop soon to have them removed and plugged with something

mtbr member
    most bike shops should have a rivnut tool that they can use to tighten those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dckiteboards View Post
    I have a 2013 kona process that has been COMPLETELY rebuilt around some creaks.

I have the wheels manufacturing BB tat is amazing brand new sram cranks.

the bike is serviced often

I have 100 percent narrowed the creak down to right around the waterbottle inserts. I can flex the frame standing still and it comes from exactly there but internally.

WTF can i do its creaking sorta annoyingly bad.

spray some triflow inside?

Thank you!
    This may or may not be helpful but....I had a REALLY creaky 2012 trek FS that sounded like it was creaking around the BB/downtube. Shop tech told me to take apart the headset and put a little grease on all the metal-on-metal parts. Went ahead and did that, now its silent. No idea what it was, but probably one of the discs/plate things in the headset (not entirely sure what they're called...)

This diagram helps

https://forallmyfriends.com/wp-conte...ed-diagram.jpg

mtbr member
    My squeaky frame turned out to be my seat post needed to be lubed up a bit.