crash- Mtbr.com

Thread: crash

Formerly mtbnoobadam

crash

So today I had pretty hard fall on the trail and my clipless pedals didn't unlock. It didn't hurt too bad until later when my pride got hurt. It turns out that from the force of the wreck the screws in one of my cleats stripped a couple threads so the cleat was loose. I didn't find that out till later on in the ride when I tried to unclip at the top of the hill. Needless to say the cleat didn't want to let go because it was loose so I ended up falling over in slow motion like a dumbass in front of several other riders. Anyone ever had this happen with your cleats?
    Last edited by Adam_B.; 04-23-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Class Clown
    I've seen it happen, it's amusing on a primal level but those slow falls can cause injury.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Yeah the slow fall did more damage to me than the endo I did previously. My gloves and helmet took the brunt of the fall with the endo whereas my elbow, shoulder and hip took the hit on the slow fall into the rocks.

College Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam
    So today I had pretty hard fall on the trail and my clipless pedals didn't unlock. It didn't hurt too bad until later when my pride got hurt. It turns out that from the force of the wreck the screws in one of my cleats stripped a couple threads to the cleat was loose. I didn't find that out till later on in the ride when I tried to unclip at the top of the hill. Needless to say the cleat didn't want to let go because it was loose so I ended up falling over in slow motion like a dumbass in front of several other riders. Anyone ever had this happen with your cleats?
    I had bolts fall of a cleats after I had just replace them. That was embarrassing when I stop I tried to unclip. twisted foot to unclip and the cleat did not twist with it. Got lock in and did a dummy fall. I had to take my shoot off to get up and then unclip it. that was a very slow and painful ride from that point back to the trail head so I could go home and steal some bolts off my old shoes and cleats to put in my new ones. As of today on my Times cleats they each have 1 SPD screw in them and 1 Times brass screw in them and have been working great.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    I had bolts fall of a cleats after I had just replace them. That was embarrassing when I stop I tried to unclip. twisted foot to unclip and the cleat did not twist with it. Got lock in and did a dummy fall. I had to take my shoot off to get up and then unclip it. that was a very slow and painful ride from that point back to the trail head so I could go home and steal some bolts off my old shoes and cleats to put in my new ones. As of today on my Times cleats they each have 1 SPD screw in them and 1 Times brass screw in them and have been working great.

I had to take my shoe off too

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I'm lucky. Been riding clipless for 12 years and never had that happen. For the first season I had to make myself point with my heals instead of my toes when I wanted out. It's been instinct ever since. I also use blue threadlocker so the bolts won't work loose.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Members who have read this thread: 0