Crank question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Crank question

mtbr member

Crank question

Okay I'm using a Truvativ Five-D crank on my bike which was cheap on a closeout deal a little while back. Now when sitting on the bike it works superb.....now when standing and really trucking on it it keeps slipping out of gear and it's extremely annoying....it makes a loud popping noise each time. Now I am 235 maybe my weight is just a little too much for such a cheap crank? Could this be because my chains too loose? There is no way I can ride this bike in the trails it would really suck. I hate being a noobie because I know nothing.lol My next bike I'm building myself from the ground up then I'll know exactly what's going on and will be able to fix the problem myself. Thanks again.

AKA Dr.Nob
    We will need more info. Where is it slipping- Front chainrings or rear cassette? How old is the running gear?
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

I post too much.
    Pick one or more:

Your derailleur adjustements are out of whack.
    Derailleur cables are worn and do not provide enough tension
    Chain is worn
    Chainring is worn
    Cassette is worn

The plough
    one more: your chainline is wrong

Brant-C.
    since it's a brand new bike i don't think anything is worn yet.

but since you have those five d cranks...they are steel and i think they bend. my wife had them on one of her bikes and i got rid of them before her first ride. i switched her to xt's.

no problems.

determine whether the pop is coming from the back (rear wheel) or the cranks. if it's the cranks have the LBS check the tightness of the bottom bracket and the crank arms and also pedals. if it's in the back (rear wheel) have the LBS check the rear derailleur and also your rear hub to make sure everything is tight.

this should be a free maintenance/tuneup since you just got the bike.

let us know.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah it's definately coming from the front. It almost feels like when I put weight on the right side of the pedal(obvioulsy where the gears are) that's when it keeps popping out......but it soon pops right back into the original gear but it's annoying as heck. Either way I'm bringing in my bike to my LBS soon to see about what tires I should be using for certain trails I will be riding.....I really wanted to go XT but this is my budget bike....maybe you get what you pay for?? I am 235 but I know of people that are much heavier and they don't deal with these issues but maybe something just may be out of whack.....but it was my LBS that put the bike together but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it looked over. Thanks again.

Brant-C.
    i know about those budgets...believe me.

i forgot to mention..when you bring your bike to the shop...have them go outside to the parking lot and you ride it and make sure they see/hear what is happening. if they're good they be able to tell you within 5 minutes!

good luck!
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellbound
    I really wanted to go XT but this is my budget bike....maybe you get what you pay for??
    I'm sure its just an adjustment issue... But whatever the case, regarding your quote above. Since you said you will be building a nice bike from ground up in the future, maybe buy the XT cranks or whatever u want and then when you start your new bike build just switch the new cranks onto the new frame.

Keep your old cranks to put back on the budget bike for when you sell it or give it to someone. That is my justification whenever I upgrade. I want to do a new build next summer, and whenever I buy components for my current bike I make sure they will fit the new build as well. Of course there will be exceptions (ie seatpost diameters, watch your steerer tube length, etc) but this has generally worked out for me.

Members who have read this thread: 0