Thread: crank help

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

crank help

what is a durable crank(resonable prices) for iron horse aniki?
    thanks

Old man on a bike
    There are a whole lot of durable cranks but what do you call a reasonable price? Personally I'd look at the closeout LX M582s for value or maybe the new SLX M660s too....
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Former Bike Wrench
    Saw these on the "best deals" forum...nice price on a very durable crankset

Shimano Hone

Old man on a bike
    Dang that's a good deal, tempted to get one just for the heck of it but the budget says no...
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I just did the research on prices v. performance. (I'm the guy who posted the Shimano Hone link in the deals page). Although I ended up going with the Hone, I also checked out the Shimano SLX, which is supposed to be really durable. If you're lucky you can find it for $120-150 or so on ebay, but I wasn't so lucky.

Other cranks I considered:

Used XT on ebay--again, if you're lucky you can find a used 08 XT crankset with BB on ebay for $120 or so, depending on condition.

Bontrager King Earl--got decent ratings from MTBR reviews and elsewhere, and someone on ebay is selling them (cranks only, no BB) for $70 right now. I got over my Bontrager phobia, but was turned off by the fact that the Truvativ Howitzer BB that you need to use has gotten some poor reviews in the past.

RaceFace Deus XC, decent cranks that you should be able to find either on ebay or elsewhere between $150-200. I think there's a brand new Deus XC up on ebay right now for $180. Some RaceFace cranks are known for the right crank arm working loose at inopportune times, but the new "X" design is supposed to have taken care of that. In the end, it was a little too pricey for me, and I was worried how a non-Shimano crank would work with my finicky XTR front mech.

Depending on riding style, you can also look into Shimano LX cranks, which is what I'm replacing with the Hones. My first generation Hollowtech LX's lasted me faithfully for four years without having to replace a ring or even the BB. I think you should be able to find an almost-new set for well under $100. They are a tier below the others, but are better than most of the other similarly priced cranks out there (such as the Raceface Ride XC cranks).

I went with the Hones because of price, mostly. They are supposed to be stronger than LX with improved shifting performance. They are Hollowtech II with Shimano's outboard bearings, which technology is pretty much the standard now. Plus, the all-black finish is going to look ridiculously cool! From what I understand, 2008 is the last year Shimano made them. Big S has discontinued the Hone group, and is concentrating on marketing the new SLX group as their "All-Mountain" components.

A word of advice while reading MTBR (or other) reviews. On items like shimano cranks with multiple model years, be sure you are reading reviews for the particular model year that you are thinking about buying. A review of a 2003 XT crankset isn't going to do you much good if you are looking at buying an '08 model.

mtbr member

crank

Look at the
    Truvativ Hussefelt line at Pricepoint.I got an el cheepo Hussefelt I couldn't be happier with.Cost was so low it was easy to toss the stock chain rings for something decent.
    You will need a proprietary Howitzer bottom bracket I believe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks alot guys very helpfull i guess i have some options now!!!

Old man on a bike
    Did I see that this is a new bike in another thread? Why not use the current crank until a need for replacement if so?
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    just getting some new ideas for tax return time lol

Doctor
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Saw these on the "best deals" forum...nice price on a very durable crankset

Shimano Hone
    Thanks for the link. I grabbed one of those, since it's identical to what's on my Epic now. Crankset, rings, and bottom bracket for ~$100 - not bad at all. I got my first Hone crankset after tweaking an XT against a grass-hidden stump at full speed. Found myself on the ground so fast I hardly knew what happened (another reason I avoid clipless pedals).

I recommend the Hone crankset, by the way.

jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0