mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Crank Arm Length

Other than the measurement, what is the big difference between 170, 175, 180 mm crank arm lenghts? Is one considered to be for geared toward XC riding than another?

Also, any feedback on the Sram X.7 GXP 3.3?

mtbr member
    175 is the norm for mtbs, and 170 for road bikes. Bigger people with bigger frames might enjoy longer arms on either. Shorter arms can increase ground clearance and cadence, but lower the amount of leverage you have and vise verse. generally going from let's say 175 to 172.5 won't "feel" much different but YMMV.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Longer cranks are supposed to fit people with long legs. If you look at the specs for bikes you'll see that the smaller the bike the shorter the crank. MTB cranks are generally longer then road cranks because it is expected that your cadence will be higher on a road bike and shorter cranks are supposedly easier to spin. There is a always room to go a little shorter or longer depending on riding style or personal preference.

mtbr member
    The X7 gxp 3.3 is 19 grams heavier and $100 less then the X9 gxp 3.3 other then that they are the exact same thing. I have not heard anything bad about either of them yet.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    175 is the norm for mtbs, and 170 for road bikes. Bigger people with bigger frames might enjoy longer arms on either. Shorter arms can increase ground clearance and cadence, but lower the amount of leverage you have and vise verse. generally going from let's say 175 to 172.5 won't "feel" much different but YMMV.
    My Mtb has 175 and my road bike has 170.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlmuncie View Post
    If you look at the specs for bikes you'll see that the smaller the bike the shorter the crank.
    You'd think so but I'd be surprised if out of all the models, from all the companies, if more than a few came with anything more than one size on all of that models available sizes, under lets say a 2k pricepoint.
    Last edited by theMeat; 10-07-2012 at 10:21 AM.
    Round and round we go

Members who have read this thread: 0