Cool Accessaries- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Cool Accessaries

What equipment besides the basic bike components have improved your ride or time on the trail? lights, tools, hydration, clothing, gloves, etc.

DynoDon
    Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike maintenance book, drinking alot of water on the way to the trailhead, pratice, pratice and more pratice, a road bike, a trainer/stationay bike, a fixie, as much riding of any type to help leg power/stamina.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

Ride More, Work Less
    Runkeeper for the iphone. I like seeing the speed and profile of the ride. It is also nice to look back at past rides on the same trail to see if speed is changing (hopefully for the better).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbooth View Post
    What equipment besides the basic bike components have improved your ride or time on the trail? lights, tools, hydration, clothing, gloves, etc.
    Air pump, patch kit and spare tube, water bottle.

since 4/10/2009
    tools to fix mechanicals have definitely improved my riding experiences. hiking 6mi out because you don't have the tools to fix a couple of flats or a busted chain really sucks.

but for purely "cool" accessories, I have to say a headlight (or two) for night riding. adding the ability to ride at night has opened up my riding opportunities even more. here in Texas, the sun beats down so hot in the summertime, riding at night is just more enjoyable. and in the wintertime, if you want to ride after work at all, you have to ride in the dark.

I would also add equipment to record your experiences. A GPS and a rugged camera are great additions. I got a GoPro and I love it. My next P&S camera will be a waterproof model so it can be dropped in a creek or get rained on without worry. Dropping in a creek killed my first P&S. One thing to note - if you REALLY want good quality photos or videos, you will find that your ride becomes ABOUT getting those shots rather than about just the ride. That's what the GoPro is for, for me. The P&S is for keeping in the pack and using only when something really strikes me as worthy. It'd be a bonus if the P&S could also record HD video for those times when having two video cameras is useful for multiple angles.

IMO, protective gear and tools don't really count as "cool" accessories. They count as necessary gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Surly flask and cage can make the ride mor enjoyable

Custom User Title
    Some of those things you put on the spokes to make them look cool, a baseball card pinned to the spokes, some ribbons on the end of your handlebars, and a flag of your choosing sticking way high in the air.

Oh wait, you meant actual useful things I'm sure. Well the card does make your bike sound cool, so it must make it go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    a baseball card pinned to the spokes

Baseball card in the spokes is so 1980's bro... you need to step up and get a Turbo Spoke for that real motorcycle sound!

Edit: Bah...I can't post links yet, just go google "Turbo Spoke" to see

I think that would be awesome to have on my Rip9

--

All kidding aside, I use a Garmin FR410 w/handlebar mount for riding and just on my wrist for running. Love the dual use, though the Edge 705 or 800 would be better for riding only IMO.

Chubby Chaser
    Bike shorts and padded inner shorts. Made long rides much more enjoyable.

Some Dude
    Recently got some mtb shorts with a chamois in them ($12 reduced from $75!!!) so that has been a nice comfort for my taint. Gloves are very good, get some.

Trail Ninja
    POV cam or any portable video cam.

Film yourself so you can see how goofy you or your technique looks. Just like how a swimmer uses a camera to check their technique, you can do this to help improve your riding and style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    Baseball card in the spokes is so 1980's bro... you need to step up and get a Turbo Spoke for that real motorcycle sound!

Edit: Bah...I can't post links yet, just go google "Turbo Spoke" to see

I think that would be awesome to have on my Rip9

-

Hell with a bell, I'm getting one of these!!!!

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    5 tens, a full suspension bike, mavic crosstrails
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

mtbr member
    I know its been mentioned already, but lights for night riding. I work second shift so I have a hard time finding time to ride. Now that I have lights I can ride whenever I have time, even late at night. I would also say that night riding can be even more fun than riding in the daytime. I mean I love them both, but night riding is such a thrill that I can't wait to do it at any chance I get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A very good set of riding gloves makes a massive improvement in comfort...ones with the gel packs built-in etc.

I really enjoy the feel of my Fox Flux helmet on my head compared to some cheapo.

A really nice set of tires you are comfortable with makes a huge difference too....as well as just keeping your bike properly tuned up!