Converting to 1x11 on 2014 Trek X-Caliber 8- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    7

    Converting to 1x11 on 2014 Trek X-Caliber 8

    Hello,

    Thinking of converting to a 1x11 on my 2014 Trek X-Caliber 8. I've already changed it to a 1x9, but now want a 1x11. What will I need? Has anyone done it to their 2014 X-Caliber 8? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Converting to 1x11 on 2014 Trek X-Caliber 8-00g0g_ebrb4yshndl_1200x900.jpg  

    Converting to 1x11 on 2014 Trek X-Caliber 8-00x0x_diphrb0hq9x_1200x900.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    536
    If your hubs are using a shim, you might be good on the wheel side and will just need a new cassette, derailleur, shifter and 11spd chain. If you have to upgrade the wheel, might as well make it worthwhile and jump to 12spd?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    If your hubs are using a shim, you might be good on the wheel side and will just need a new cassette, derailleur, shifter and 11spd chain. If you have to upgrade the wheel, might as well make it worthwhile and jump to 12spd?
    I took the cassette off the hub and there are no spacers.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    536
    You might be looking for a new rear hub and relace your existing wheel. Probably cost as much to do that as buying a whole new rear wheel on sale.

    Another option is to have someone mill your freehub to fit a 11spd cassette or see if the hub manufacturer offers a replacement 11spd hub.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    7
    That's great! I just ordered my 1x11 components. Now I'll have to get a new rear hub. Can I just replace the free wheel hub and not the whole wheel?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Lijian View Post
    That's great! I just ordered my 1x11 components. Now I'll have to get a new rear hub. Can I just replace the free wheel hub and not the whole wheel?
    Only if the current hub manufacturer has a 11spd freehub for it. If not, you'll have to buy a new hub and relace the wheel or mill the current freehub or cassette.






    Turns out that there are (??) manufacturers that make 11spd cassettes that fit on 10spd freehubs.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    7
    I knew I would run into more additional problems with this setup. Thanks.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    536
    Turns out Sunrace makes 11spd cassettes that fit on a 10spd hub. I have a couple of the Sunrace MX8 11spd hubs and I did try to fit it on my older Giant 10spd hub but I couldn't fit the lockring after inserting the 11th cog. Strange.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    Only if the current hub manufacturer has a 11spd freehub for it. If not, you'll have to buy a new hub and relace the wheel or mill the current freehub or cassette.






    Turns out that there are (??) manufacturers that make 11spd cassettes that fit on 10spd freehubs.
    Maybe I'm smoking crack, but I'm pretty sure the hub is the same for Shimano 9 speed and 11 speed mountain bike hubs. Road hubs are different.

    OP. When you get your parts, try putting it together and see what happens. I bet you'll be fine.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    7
    I'll wait until my parts arrive to see what predicament I'll be in. I ordered a SRAM shifter and the other components are SHIMANO so that probably will not work either.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by d-ron View Post
    Maybe I'm smoking crack, but I'm pretty sure the hub is the same for Shimano 9 speed and 11 speed mountain bike hubs. Road hubs are different.

    OP. When you get your parts, try putting it together and see what happens. I bet you'll be fine.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Nah, you're right. 6, 7 & 8 speed need a new freehub, 9-11 fits.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by speedygz View Post
    Nah, you're right. 6, 7 & 8 speed need a new freehub, 9-11 fits.
    I'm crossing my fingers on this!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,310
    I think that you might have another problem ,Scam shifters move the cables a different amount of travel than Shimano's ,and the derailleur's are made to match that amount of travel.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    7
    Yes, I was thinking that so a SHIMANO shifter will have to be ordered for this setup.

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to go 1x10 or 1x11 on my Trek X-Caliber
    By AWDV8 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 08:07 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 09:50 AM
  3. 2014 Trek Superfly 5 vs 2014 X-caliber 8 vs Airborne Seeker
    By Meekoko in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 04:30 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Members who have read this thread: 26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.