Convert To Ss Or Fix 3x7- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Convert To Ss Or Fix 3x7

Hey Guysi. First I Want To Say I Am Having Alot Of Fun Pushing Myself. I Bought A 97 Kona Koa For $25 And Have Been Riding It For About A Month And Found That Its Not Shifting Right, The Rear Gears Are Pretty Worn And The Front Chain Rings Are Worn As Well. I Dont Want To Dump Alot Of Money In It.

So My Question Is Should I Replace The Components With Updated Ones Or Convert To Ss. It Also Has Grip Shifters Which I Dont Care For.

The Reason I Was Thinking Ss Is Because I Really Only Use 2 Gears In The Rear (18t And 21t) With My Middle Chain Ring (32 T).

What Is You All Opinion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDDICKDUX
    What Is You All Opinion?
    My first suggestion is to not capitalize the first letter of each word That is hella tough to read. Secondly, go SS. You won't look back.

+1 for the caps statement. + 5 for the singlespeed. Do it. It will be the most fun you have in the woods.

Keep it 26" though...

mtbr member
    go read the SS forum and do the conversion. there's a SS FAQ on that page that will answer most of your questions.

I suggest the DMR conversion kit and riding 32/18 to start. you may want to go to a 32/20 gear if the 18 is too steep but some people have the power to do 32/16.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDDICKDUX
    Hey Guysi. First I Want To Say I Am Having Alot Of Fun Pushing Myself. I Bought A 97 Kona Koa For $25 And Have Been Riding It For About A Month And Found That Its Not Shifting Right, The Rear Gears Are Pretty Worn And The Front Chain Rings Are Worn As Well. I Dont Want To Dump Alot Of Money In It.

So My Question Is Should I Replace The Components With Updated Ones Or Convert To Ss. It Also Has Grip Shifters Which I Dont Care For.

The Reason I Was Thinking Ss Is Because I Really Only Use 2 Gears In The Rear (18t And 21t) With My Middle Chain Ring (32 T).

What Is You All Opinion?
    That reads like 4 really long titles.

If you only want one gear, do an ss conversion. If you don't like it you can go back to gears. Go the the SS board, loads of info on this.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

It's all about the FSR!
    I think that the forum probably defaults it like this if the OP is trying to type in all caps. I have seen that on other forums in the past. Annoying, but less annoying than all caps.

Members who have read this thread: 0