mtbr member

Computer installtion

I am going to buy a cateye enduro 8 computer. I was wondering how hard the installation process is because the lbs offerred to install it for 10 bucks. I am sure that it would look cleaner if they installed it, but could I figure it out for my self? Is it pretty tough to line up to sensors and mount them?

thanks

XCfosho15
    it is a piece of cake. you just stick the magnet on a spoke, the sensor on the fork where the magnet will pass, and then calibrate the computer, following the directions in the manual. then you install a zip-tie or two to keep the wire in place and you are done.

Rod
    mtbr member
    What? Did you purchase it from them? That's crazy it's the simpliest installaton you can do on a bike. You just have to install the sensor very close to the magnet. It will tell you how close to put it. Then you just have to set the time. I have this computer and it's very simple. If you can set a watch you'll do just fine. If you purchased this from the lbs I would be outraged if they wanted to charge an installation fee. Oh yea you just have to secure the sensor with 2 zip ties and cut off the excess. I wrapped the excess wire on my handle bar so I wouldn't need to put any zip ties to hold the wire going down to the sensor. It works well and looks great. Oh yea if you do use zipties to hold the wire going down to the fork don't put them so tight that you smash the wire like I did the first time I installed it. I'm surprised it still works.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    What? Did you purchase it from them? That's crazy it's the simpliest installaton you can do on a bike. You just have to install the sensor very close to the magnet. It will tell you how close to put it. Then you just have to set the time. I have this computer and it's very simple. If you can set a watch you'll do just fine. If you purchased this from the lbs I would be outraged if they wanted to charge an installation fee. Oh yea you just have to secure the sensor with 2 zip ties and cut off the excess. I wrapped the excess wire on my handle bar so I wouldn't need to put any zip ties to hold the wire going down to the sensor. It works well and looks great. Oh yea if you do use zipties to hold the wire going down to the fork don't put them so tight that you smash the wire like I did the first time I installed it. I'm surprised it still works.

I haven't bought it yet or paid for any installation. Are you saying if i buy it from the lbs i should ask for free installation? I kinda thought that way too, that if I supported them by buying it there (instead of the internet) they would be happy to do it for free. That would be better business practice anyway.

Do you like the enduro 8?

mtbr member
    also, how much do you guys like having a computer. I know it is not a necessary part, but do you guys enjoy lookin at the stats of your ride?

I guess what I am trying to say is, is it worth it to buy one? I know they are pretty cheap ~20 bucks.

XCfosho15
    as "Rod" said, it is as easy as programming a watch, so there is almost no point trying to get your shop to do it for you. if they will install it for free, go ahead, it will save you 10 minutes. i wouldn't pay a dime to have them install it though.

a computer is nice, but not essential. i do like looking at one when i am going on longer rides, though. plus, it's fun to see exactly how fast you can sprint.

mtbr member
    You can do it, if you can read, you can install a computer on a bike.
    Installation came with the Comp that I got, the Shimano Flightdeck (which is a little more involved than a plain ol' run of the mill bike comp), but I also bought it at the same time I bought the bike... So, that probably played a big part...

As for if I like using my comp...
    I have one on the Road bike, No computer for the Mt. Bike however, I live in a place where all the trails are built, mapped, marked, and maintained by the local mt. biking club and they have all that info... I might time myself with a watch, but I don't need to know that I rode an 8 mile loop and it came up short by .32 miles. Cause next week, it's still gonna be .32 miles shy of 8 full miles.

Just the way I roll... If I lived somewhere like Pisgah, Fruita, Moab, etc... I'd get a new Comp for the mt. bike. mainly cause I'd ride trail more often and the road less.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ynot89
    I haven't bought it yet or paid for any installation. Are you saying if i buy it from the lbs i should ask for free installation? I kinda thought that way too, that if I supported them by buying it there (instead of the internet) they would be happy to do it for free. That would be better business practice anyway.

Do you like the enduro 8?
    Yea I like it. I haven't had one problem with it and I've had it for roughly a year and a half to two years. I just thought it was crazy if you purchased it from them they were going to charge you 10 bucks for an installation that won't take 10 minutes to install on the bike. That's highway robbery. You can easily set it up yourself, but I wouldn't support a shop that wasn't willing to help me. That's just me though. What happens next time if it's not such a simple installation. YOu would have to purchase X part from them and then pay them to install it. If I purchase something from my shop they install it free or at least I don't get charged much more for it. Last week he replaced my middle chainring and installed it for 38 dollars. I don't think I could've purchased a middle ring and installed it myself cheaper. It just seems like shady business practices. Back on topic I highly recommend the Enduro 8. I think I paid twice that much for it two years ago so I wouldn't hesitate. Is it on sale or has the price dropped that much? Like I was trying to say it's a problem free computer that I enjoy having on my bike. I like the time function, my average speed (I like to see if I'm getting faster throughout the year), how many miles I've ridden, and my max speed. Oh yea I'm currently leaving distance 1 to show my year's distance and distance 2 is set for individual rides. I would buy it again...That's probably the best way to say it. I don't say that about many products.

Edit: the instructions are very clear and make sure not to lose them when you need to reset the time......if you ever do lose them send me a pm I still know where mine are and I'll scan then send you whatever you need.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Oh yea just make sure not to do this. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=1#post4264464

mtbr member
    I admit that doing it yourself is easy, but $10 is not an unreasonable charge to install the computer, assuming they do it right. For example, the shop should get an accurate measurement of the wheel diameter, and enter that into the computer, instead of just choosing one of the default values.

A lot of people aren't technically inclined. For example, one of my co-workers installed his own computer. One day he asked me a question about one of the features of the computer and I looked the settings he had in there. I noticed he had it set to a 26" wheel, when he had a 700c wheel. Which means the speed would be showing up slower than he was really going, and he really went farther than the odometer said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolbiker
    I admit that doing it yourself is easy, but $10 is not an unreasonable charge to install the computer, assuming they do it right. For example, the shop should get an accurate measurement of the wheel diameter, and enter that into the computer, instead of just choosing one of the default values.
    I agree. The most important thing is an accurate wheel diamater measurement. If you just plug in a number from the book, your MPH might be off by 5, 10 or more percent.

Have a friend help. Put the tire valve at exactly 6 o'clock, sit on the bike and roll it one complete revolution. Measure exactly. Do this again 3 times for a good average. With this actual tire diameter, your computer is now very accurate. Unless you wheelie a lot.

$10 installation isn't a bad deal. But I would do it yourself. Running the wire cleanly and calibrating it are important, and if you do it yourself, it's done right.

Dirt Deviant
    I agree with the $10 part. Granted it should be super simple to do, you have to remember that the mechs at the LBS have lots of bikes to work on and build. Fiddling around with a $25 computer for 20 minutes is alot of time that could be spent on doing warrenty repairs or customer $$ repairs.
    I could see if you bought a Garmin 205 for $290 the install should be free or whatever.

But just do it yourself. Listen to Laurenlex. Measure the distance your tire rolls as stated. It is usually in the 2100 range-ish. Once you get that measurement, just input it into the computer at the initial startup and be sure to follow the directions. It's hella easy.
    But do the measurement before you do anything else. Once you power on the computer the first thing you need to do is put that value in.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You can go to the Cateye website and download the instruction sheet for the Enduro 8; that will give you a good idea about how easy it is to install.

Members who have read this thread: 0