Compulsory "First clipless experience" thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smile Compulsory "First clipless experience" thread

It's exam period for me, but as soon as my new spd shoes came, I had to try them on. Went for a 10min ride around my neighborhood. This is written from a newbie's perspective, hopefully useful to fellow newbies.

Thanks to you guys, I got the Crank bros candy over the eggbeaters.
    The extra platform helped me get the bike moving first, before attempting to clip in. Takes me 5-10 seconds to successfully clip in, still kind of new at this. Prior to that, I took 15mins of pedal bashing while stationary, to get my first clip-in/

Lots of people have been saying that the extra platform on the candies are useless. Maybe they changed it in the new Candy 3. I find that it presses against my shoe really tightly. So much that I thought there was no play in the pedals. But there is, it just isn't loose because of how hard the pedal is pressing against the thread of the shoe.

I find that if I just try to cycle normally, after a while, the shoes clip in by themselves. Wiggling my fool while pedaling seems to help. Getting out is a lot easier though. Just a slight twist of the feet and they are out.

Hmm, have I told you how easy they were to get out of? No learning curve whatsoever.

Pedals got scratched up real quick.

(Yes, that's a road bike I'm using these pedals on.. )

Still using 5.10s and studded pedals on my MTB.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

It's all about the FSR!
    The more you ride with clipless, the quicker you will be able to clip in. It will start coming naturally to you, as will unclipping when you have to stop. It used to take me a few crank rotations before both would clip in, but now, I am in before 1 rotation of the crank. You will get a feel for where your feet need to be.

Good luck with it!

mtbr member
    I got my Candy 2's about 2 weeks ago. I dunno if this applies to you, but i had to dremel out a bit of material on the bottom of my shoe to help the cleat find the clips in the pedal. Another thing, try clipping in with the toe to heel, not both at once. I had some SPD pedals and i was able to clip in just standing up. Crank bros pedals seem to work better with the toe to heel method.

Can also try using the shim, if you not already, this will raise the cleat slightly from the bottom of the shoe.

You can change the degree that they disengage if you want, if the cleat with 2 dots on it is on your right shoe, the angle is 15 degrees, if you flip it and put the cleat with 2 dots on the left shoe, its 20 degrees. Most people start or use 15, but later on you might want to move it over.

mtbr member
    @Heavy Fluid: That's comforting

Hmm I'm using the shim already. I kind of like that the shoe grips onto the platforms, gives me a similar feeling to using 5.10 shoes. Thanks for the tip on release angle, I'm using 15 degrees now.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

True dat

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Fluid
    The more you ride with clipless, the quicker you will be able to clip in. It will start coming naturally to you, as will unclipping when you have to stop. It used to take me a few crank rotations before both would clip in, but now, I am in before 1 rotation of the crank. You will get a feel for where your feet need to be.

Good luck with it!
    Yup, just keep riding...it'll become second nature in no time.

Members who have read this thread: 0