Component help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Component help

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Component help

Hey guys,

Judging by my username, I guess you can tell a few stupid questions are coming.

I am looking to get an all around bike to exersise, trail ride (no heavy stuff) and possibly commute 1-2 days a week. I was looking at a hardtail mountain bike with a lockable front fork. I have narrowed it down to a Trek 6000 or a 4500. I know the differences are in the "components" and not the frame itself. So my question is where do I go so that I can see what the difference between a Suntour and a Rockshox is, or a SRAM X.5 or a Shimano M410 are? I looked for around here for a few hours and I can't seem to find a component comparison section.

Please, any input is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Suntour and RockShox are just brands. The RockShox Dart 3 isn't all that great, but better than the Suntour. SRAM X.5 Is better than the Shimano M410 and the other drivetrain parts. the next step up for Shimano is the Shimano Deore, which is very similar to the SRAM X.5

In my opinion, spend the extra money for the Trek 6500, it has a RockShox Tora SL, which is way better than the Dart 3.

Better yet, i would suggest the bike i have, the Gary Fisher Piranha. It is basically the Trek 6500, but cheaper. If your dealer sells trek, they usually sell Gary Fisher because Trek is tied with Gary Fisher. I've owned the Trek 6500 and the Gary Fisher Piranha, and i like the GF better. The G2 frame gemoetry really suits me and my style riding.

So overall i would go this way:
    1st choice: GF Piranha
    2nd Choice: Trek 6500
    3rd Choice: Trek 6000
    4th Choice: Trek 4500. The 4500 really isn't comparable with the other 3 bikes.

Bike builder
    If you can stretch to the 6500 you will get a much better fork.

But to be honest if you're just going to be doing light off road stuff, maybe the 6000 would be fine.
    Free bike maintenance videos every two weeks!
    BuildYourBicycle.com video podcast

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    If you read his post, he said he would only do light trail riding with no heavy stuff. The bike is mainly for exercise and commuting...

The Trek 4500 would be a fine bike and would handle off-road situations just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +1 on the 4500

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks guys for all the replies. My LBS has a 6000 in stock, and has no 4500's in stock, so he is pushing me into the 6000. I can get it for $700 out the door, so I think I will get that one.

I was more interested in a place where I can go and see what the difference of two different components on these bikes are. Like how am I supposed to know that a SRAM X.5 is better than a Shimano M410? Other than one is on a more expensive bike.

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0