Compatiblity issues in upgrade - BB and cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Compatiblity issues in upgrade - BB and cranks

Hello

I want to upgrade my son's bike. He rides a Scott Scale 960, year 2017.
    Among others, it will go from 2x10 to 1x12.
    Now the bike comes with a Shimano BB-MT500-PA / shell 41x89.5mm. That's press-fit. And a 2x10 transmission (36x22front, 11-36 rear).

I figured out that my combination would be:
    - SRAM NX dub (link to CRC)
    - SARM DUB pressfit MTB Bottom Braket (link to CRC)
    - NX cassette, shifter, derailleur and chain are quite clear.
    Am I correct that these would be compatible with the current setup?
    Are there any (cheaper) alternatives to this upgrade (keeping the 1x12 ambition)?
    Thanks you all!

mtbr member
    what size NX cassette? 42? Might have derailleur issues... I would consider getting a GX derailleur

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    the NX cassette will be 11-50, and the rear derailleur will fit. It's the BB that I'm worried about.

jcd's best friend
    Are the wheels standard or XD hubs? I just installed my SRAM GX Eagle last night and used a Sunrace 11-50 cassette which is Eagle compatible and fits on a standard hub. If I understand right, the NX Eagle should be standard fit too. If I recall, the GX cassette requires an XD driver.

From what I learned about DUB, it should fit any bottom bracket. That's what I found on the SRAM website.

Also, you can check out the SunRace 12 speed setup. It came out earlier this year. They created a shifter, rear mech, and chain to go with their 11-50 cassette. I don't know the exact costs, but I'm sure you can find it online. There is a slight weight penalty with the SunRace cassette, but there aren't a ton of options for a standard hub just yet.
    Trek Émonda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    It's a standard freehub. I hesitate between the 11-50 SunRace CSMZ90 Cassette
    or the SRAM PG-1230 Eagle Cassette 11-50. both work with standard hubs, similarly priced, roughly similar weight.
    But it's not the cassette that I worry about, it's the BB, and the relation between the crankset, the BB and the frame - if the chainring will fall exactly in the middle of the cassette in order to have smooth shifting etc.
    I've read the available info on SRAM site (which I find scanty). I'm betting on the DUB system to be compatible as advertised.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Are the wheels standard or XD hubs? I just installed my SRAM GX Eagle last night and used a Sunrace 11-50 cassette which is Eagle compatible and fits on a standard hub. If I understand right, the NX Eagle should be standard fit too. If I recall, the GX cassette requires an XD driver.

From what I learned about DUB, it should fit any bottom bracket. That's what I found on the SRAM website.

Also, you can check out the SunRace 12 speed setup. It came out earlier this year. They created a shifter, rear mech, and chain to go with their 11-50 cassette. I don't know the exact costs, but I'm sure you can find it online. There is a slight weight penalty with the SunRace cassette, but there aren't a ton of options for a standard hub just yet.
    nx is standard hub GX is XD only

since 4/10/2009
    your link, strangely enough, doesn't show the product in question. But the way SRAM makes bb's, they only make two standards. BSA threads, or pressfit into a 41mm shell. Since you have a bb shell with those specs, it'll work.

Chainline is a slightly different question. There are ways to adjust the chainline from however it comes out installed as per directions. Usually involves a chainring with a slightly different offset (usually towards the bigger cogs). Install as per directions first, and then see if you need to do anything further.

I doubt there's another way to go Eagle for less, unless you get a microshift thumbie, maybe

https://www.microshift.com/en/produc.../mtb-shifters/