mtbr member
    Jun 2012

is it common for spokes to come loose?

I have a wierd creaking noise again on my bike, and last time this happened the bike shop told me it was a loose spoke on my rear wheel and went ahed and fixed it, this time it sounds like its coming from the front.

now, first things first, i'm a complete noob, so i have no idea what would cause this. I do put quite a few miles on my bike (around 70 a week). What could i do to prevent this? the bike is a 2012 Scott aspect tour 29er and i mostly ride to and from work, with a couple miles each day worth of trail riding, no jumping or major offroading.

Thanks in advance!

Cow Clicker
    The rubbing of spokes on each other can cause this. It's possible this is happening. It's a maintenance item.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

since 4/10/2009
    Creaks and squeaks can be caused by a million different things. Sometimes they are somewhere other than where you think you hear them.

Regular maintenance will help you learn to identify common noises on your bike.

mtbr member
    Think keeping your spokes tight helps keep them tight. Not trying to be a smart ass, just that if the spokes are tight it keeps tension on the nipple and helps it to not spin loose. Also, a bend, even a slight one, from a strike will cause some to get looser.
    Yes, IMO it's a good idea to do at least regular maintenance to get familiar with your bikes workings and needs. "Zinn and the art of mtb maintenance" is a good place to start.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Spokes do lossen ,mostly with new wheels. They take time to seat ,I check mine every couple of months ,most times they are fine once in awhile they will need a 1/8 turn.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkyak View Post
    I have a wierd creaking noise again on my bike, and last time this happened the bike shop told me it was a loose spoke on my rear wheel and went ahed and fixed it, this time it sounds like its coming from the front.

now, first things first, i'm a complete noob, so i have no idea what would cause this. I do put quite a few miles on my bike (around 70 a week). What could i do to prevent this? the bike is a 2012 Scott aspect tour 29er and i mostly ride to and from work, with a couple miles each day worth of trail riding, no jumping or major offroading.

Thanks in advance!
    Well built high end wheelseets spokes don't lossen off over time in my experience....

Certainly lower quality builds may indeed do so over time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    shouldnt if its a quality bike

****** to the dirt
    well the first thing you need to do is to find the creak ( not easy to do some times). Start with the pedals and shift them from side to side if you here a creak it might be a loose arm or BB. Then to rule out the axles (if they are loose they will creak to) give both wheels a twist side to side if you here a creak check to see if the axle is loose,

Whether or not spokes come loose all depends on what kind of riding you do. If you jump a lot the compression of the tires can loosen the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 0