clipless pedal adjustment question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

clipless pedal adjustment question

Okay, so I am in the begining stages of rdiing with clipless pedals. Still not quite used to them, but trying to get there.

I had a quick question that may help me clip out of the pedals when needed. The + and - adjustments on the pedals I assume tighten and losen the pedals. Which way do I turn them to loosen? To the + side or - side? Will this make getting in and out easier?

My biggest problem so far is climbing hills where there are roots. Hopefully practice will help!

Also, anyone else with big feet have a problem getting your shoes unclipped? I have a size 14 riding shoe. I seem to only be able to unclip at the top of my spin because the back of my shoe will rub against the bike and I can not rotate my foot enough to unclip.
    Any suggestions from my big footed brethren?

local trails rider
    What brand are your pedals?
    Most likely "-" means less spring tension holding you in the pedals.
    Usually, you are supposed to rotate your heels away from the bike to unclip. Some pedals have handed cleats (a Left and a Right). If you get the cleats on the wrong shoes, you might get a really weird release angle.

Practice definitely helps in crossing rough ground and obstacles. I am still new enough to remember some spots that I had difficulties with (not sure why I had difficulties) and to still have difficulties with some sections of trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the help. How would you know if you have "handed cleats"? The pedals I am using are the stock pedals on a 06' Stumpjumper HT.

local trails rider
    Looks like your bike should have Shimano SPD 520 pedals.
    According to Shimano, their cleats are symmetrical. Can the cleats be installed back to front?

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/cy...9830563133.pdf

GIT-R-DONE!
    Like yourself I am new to clipless. I am also using the Shimano 520s I have found that I like them just tight enough (+) to keep me clipped in over stumps and what not but not so tight that when I need to get out in a snap I fumble. I also like them so that when I am clipped in that my foot floats to its natural riding position. At first I tried this by going fully tightened on the (+) end and like wise fully loose on the (-) end until it felt natural and allowed me to clip in and out at my comfort level.

I took a look at mine and I have them set at 2 turns (+) from the fully (-) loosened position on the pedals. Just keep adjusting them and you will get the proper feel. I was making adjustments every ride until I got the proper feel.

Take a look at your cleats and be sure they are installed properly as well. They are symmetrical but only when it comes too where either one can be used on either shoe; However there is a definite front and back to them.
    Checking Out The Big Phenomenon

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I greatly appreciate the help. It appears that I must have the cleats swapped on the shoe (left side on right shoe and vice versa). I am going to check it out tonight when I get home from work. This should make riding with clipless a LOT more enjoyable now!!!

mtbr member
    Hi there,

I too am brand new to clipless. I have a set of shimano PD-M324s installed at the moment. These have a platform on one side and clipless on the other. These must be considered a beginner's clipless pedal as they were shipped with a multi-release cleat. The shimano multi-release cleat is distinguishable from the standard cleat in that they are a gold color and have a large 'M' stamped on the bottom.

My experience thus far with shimano cleats is that there is NOT a left and right cleat, they are the same. However there is definitely a front and a back of the cleat. There is an arrow that points to the toe of the shoe. Looking at them I can't see how they could possible clip in if you had them on backwards. There is a left and right pedal though... marked with R and L.

I am also a big footed clyde wearing size 15 EE (/50) shoes... Haven't had any difficulty clipping in or out thus far. The multi-release cleats allow release in several directions. For now they stay on pretty well on the trails and release just right at the medium setting, but i can see that as I get used to them i will want to switch over to the standard cleats.
    Last edited by dropthehammer; 08-14-2006 at 05:59 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0