mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Clipless installation help?

I just bought a pair of Shimano 540's and I was wondering how you switch these new pedals onto the bike. The screw for the pedal which attaches to the 'pedal leg' seems to rotate continuously. So do I need a wrench of some sort screw it in?

semantic blockage
    Your question is not too clear - right and left pedals have different thread directions. The right side pedal has normal thread direction (clock-wise to tighten), the left is the opposite. Is this your question? Please remember to grease the pedal threads prior to installation. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamandb
    Your question is not too clear - right and left pedals have different thread directions. The right side pedal has normal thread direction (clock-wise to tighten), the left is the opposite. Is this your question? Please remember to grease the pedal threads prior to installation. Good luck.
    Ok I get the different thread directions. But what tools do I need to attach/screw in the new pedals and remove the old ones. Do I need something to clamp down on the area with the thread, and then screw it into the 'leg'?

Sorry if this is a bit unclear.....I'm trying to describe it as well as I can

*Contents Under Pressure
    a 15mm (i think) crescent wrench should do the trick
    There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Former Bike Wrench
    Not knowing what pedals you currently have...you'll either need a 15mm pedal wrench (some thinner combination wrenches work too) or a Hex Wrench...usually a 6mm

You then use a Hex Wrench on the Shimano pedals to install them

FYI-The "legs" are called crankarms

Members who have read this thread: 0