clicking/ticking noise- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2016

clicking/ticking noise

hi there,

i have been getting this clicking/ticking noise when riding my bike for the past week.

i have isolated when this occurs....i sat on my bike with the brakes on, while i stabilized mysef next to a wall... i had my pedals at 3 and 9 oclock. when i added pressure onto the pedal/trying to push the pedals down with my foot, that clicking noise came about. i swapped my pedals and still got the noise, so i dont think its an issue of the pedals.

i am kind of new to this stuff and never touched a bike tool (except for the air pump), so with the help of my friend i have already done the following:

1. i removed my cranks and cleaned and regreased the threads on the cranks and the bottom bracket spacer or cone (the plastic circular barrel).

2. i removed my seat and replaced pedals.

3. i ensured my chainring bolts all felt snug and tight (however i used cheap dollar store tools for this, not sure if i need something stronger for the job)

i am thinking maybe my bottom bracket (which is sealed) needs replacing or i should double check the tightness of the chain ring bolts with an actual bike took? my friend whos hobby is fixing bikes rode my bike and said the bottom bracket felt good - but he could be wrong. this is also a 1 month old bike, so i am wondering if it even is the BB?. then again, i am a newb so i am just broadly speculating.

any help is appreciated, thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Unless you have ridden hundred of miles the bottom bracket should be good. Have you check the seat post /clamp ?You might need to grease them.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    What kind of bike is it?

When tightening things like the bottom bracket, are you using a torque wrench?

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I had a clicking noise after taking bike for service. Turns out that one of the wires at base of bike position had changed so tinged against pedals every time I turned wheel. Still new to bikes so no idea what that part is called

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If it's a month old take it in to the shop and get the expertise of the guys in service who build and service your model. Should be no charge. Hang out and watch what they check and the tools they use. Let them know you are hoping to pick up some tips on maintenance if they don't mind you watching.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    What kind of bike is it?

When tightening things like the bottom bracket, are you using a torque wrench?
    it is a giant talon 2... i did not use a torque wrench. i am also not sure if i touched the BB, what i did was remove both cranks and the plastic barrel around the BB to clean and regrease it.

i also noticed a few days ago that when i cleaned the chain and gear components, the sound was not as prevalent for a day or two ( i degreased it, hosed it down, and relubed), but unfortunately it came back after that.