Cleat positioning- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cleat positioning

I started riding clipless last year. I picked it up quickly, using Crank Bros Candy pedals and Specialized Taho shoes. Did not have any problem clipping in and out, with the cleats on the higher tension direction. Destroyed the tread riding flats with them at Ray's this winter, so I decided to pick up some new shoes, Bontrager RL Mountain WSD. I'm having a helluva time getting clipped in and out. I did get brand new cleats, which are on the low tension direction, and my old cleats don't look any more worn down than the new ones. I *can* get clipped in, but it's taking way longer, and I'm having more trouble clipping out. I have the cleat all the way toward my toes, which feels the most comfortable, but is that why I'm having so much trouble clipping in? I'm going to try moving it back a touch today. The platform on the pedal does not touch the tread of the shoe when it's clipped in, but maybe it is interfering while trying to clip in/out? Should I try shaving off some of the tread around the cleat? Another shim under the cleat (have one already, had none on the old shoes)? Advice please Thanks!

mtbr member
    I tend to position the cleat further back on my shoes. I usually find the pivot point on my foot - slightly lift your heel, twist your foot and see where it pivots - and start from there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ICAsh
    I started riding clipless last year. I picked it up quickly, using Crank Bros Candy pedals and Specialized Taho shoes. Did not have any problem clipping in and out, with the cleats on the higher tension direction. Destroyed the tread riding flats with them at Ray's this winter, so I decided to pick up some new shoes, Bontrager RL Mountain WSD. I'm having a helluva time getting clipped in and out. I did get brand new cleats, which are on the low tension direction, and my old cleats don't look any more worn down than the new ones. I *can* get clipped in, but it's taking way longer, and I'm having more trouble clipping out. I have the cleat all the way toward my toes, which feels the most comfortable, but is that why I'm having so much trouble clipping in? I'm going to try moving it back a touch today. The platform on the pedal does not touch the tread of the shoe when it's clipped in, but maybe it is interfering while trying to clip in/out? Should I try shaving off some of the tread around the cleat? Another shim under the cleat (have one already, had none on the old shoes)? Advice please Thanks!

I would think it is a shoe interference problem of some sort.

mtbr member
    Found the issue. The spring on the pedal had slid and the end of it was hitting the platform of the pedal. The spindle wasn't spinning within the pedal hardly at all. Hence the trouble. Was able to fix it, but I'm a bit soured on crank bros now so I picked up some shimano M540s. Hopefully they will last me indefinitely, and the adjustable tension was a big selling point.

Members who have read this thread: 0