Choosing a MTB... Giant- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Choosing a MTB... Giant

Looking into getting my first quality MTB and have settled on Giant! I haven't quite decided what to get though. I'm thinking of either a 2010 Rincon W - $460 or a 2009 XTC 2 -
    $650..and I know there is quite a difference in the components, but I'm not sure what's
    right for me - if a Rincon will be fine or if I should pay the extra for the XTC 2 .. Any thoughts, opinions or other suggestions are welcome!!

Other details:
    I'm looking for something that I can ride on the streets when needed but also for some trail riding - nothing too extreme though. I want a bike that can take a beating if necessary and won't break if I get daring or stupid (which I tend to do).
    I was settled on the Rincon and have a somewhat tight budget, so the price was right - but if the XTC 2 is worth the extra $200 I might have to save for it.

Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The XTC 2 for $650 looks like an awesome deal! You wouldn't have to upgrade anything for a long time.

Are you sure you're going to love mountain biking though?

Rincon W looks like a fine entry level bike. I'd just be apprehensive about the Tektro IO brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That is one thing that I am slightly worried about - I don't want to spend money on a bike then never use it. I do know that I love riding bikes though and want something to last me a long time. I'm getting it to 1) get back in shape, and 2) I currently don't have a car and need it for commuting about 8-10 miles round trip when I do need to ride in to work.

I wasn't sure about Rincon's brakes too, or forks for that matter. I know it is more expensive to replace parts if they stink or brake then it is to buy them stock.

powered by peanut butter.
    I have an 09 XTC 1 - it's a great bike, and 650 for an 09 sounds like a good deal (both the Rincon and the XTC are new, right?). The XTC line has much higher quality components, which makes the riding experience better and increases the resale value, if you decide you don't like mtbing (but you will ).

Like tsmosher said, though, the Rincon will be a fine entry level bike if your on a budget. And especially if you plan on doing mostly street riding, as you said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Another one that might be worth getting is a 2010 Yukon but I might only be able to get the price down to $635 or so, and if that's the case I think the 2009 XTC 2 would be more worth the extra $15.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, I don't necessarily plan on mainly street riding - I'd rather use it for off-road and trails - or at least be able to have that as an option without worrying if I'm gonna wreck something.

And yes, they are both new from the LBS.

mtbr member
    Go with the XTC for sure. The Rincon is an OK bike, but a friend of mine bought one last year and regrets it. Low end deraillers, base model fork, Tektro IO discs. You're much better off with the XTC which has Deore deraillers, Dart 3, and Hayes mech discs.