Choosing a Hybrid bike (Trek vs Cube)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

Choosing a Hybrid bike (Trek vs Cube)

Hi folks,
    I need a hybrid bike mostly for the city rides (commuting, for fun, rarely outside of the city), sometimes I will face sidewalks, trails, and stares. Thinking about Trek Dual Sport series and Trek FX series, as well as Cube Hyde/SL series. I want it to be quite comfortable and effective to ride (I am currently owning a hardtail 27,5" bike and it feels kind of bulky for the city for me). I am not sure what suits me best, please help me to choose. Additional bike brand suggestions are also acceptable.
    My budget is 600 - 1000 USD.

mtbr member
    May 2020

jcd's best friend
    Those bikes can work out for what you want to do. I would consider the FX3. It's a fitness bike and it's way lighter than a hardtail. You can get a good workout with it or just commute everywhere on the bike.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Those bikes might not feel any less bulky , if you can you should test ride them. Just for your info, you can put 29" wheels with street tires on a frame designed for 27.5 wheels. The outside diameter is almost the same. Although it might cheaper to buy another bike.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Those bikes can work out for what you want to do. I would consider the FX3. It's a fitness bike and it's way lighter than a hardtail. You can get a good workout with it or just commute everywhere on the bike.
    Thanks for the suggestion, will think about it. Let me please ask a weird question: If I'm getting a "fitness" bike, does this mean I will lose more calories than if I was just riding a hybrid? The thing is, I'm quite skinny and I don't want to lose weight in case if the bicycle is meant to do it.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Those bikes might not feel any less bulky , if you can you should test ride them. Just for your info, you can put 29" wheels with street tires on a frame designed for 27.5 wheels. The outside diameter is almost the same. Although it might cheaper to buy another bike.
    Yeah, test riding is a problem If there was a chance to test ride them, I'm sure I could immediately tell what bike I want. I have ridden 29" wheels and I liked it, but the issues is my current bike's frame is small for me (it was my first bike, didn't know much about the sizes), so this is one of the reasons I want to sell it and buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I had a Trek FX3 (7.3 back then I think), in the days before discs on everything, that I used for road training when I first started riding. After a few years I sold it for a drop-bar cross/gravel (now 10 year old CrossCheck) bike as that was way more my riding style. The hybrid was just not the best for "hard" training, but it did work.

For a city bike I think it would be pretty good. Light and comfortable riding position, upright so you can swivel to see things. As a bike in general the FX was solid. If you are going to spend most if not all the time on pavement I think the 32c tires on a hybrid are a better choice than anything fatter. If you think you will be going mixed surface the versatility of a proper hardtail or rigid mountain bike cant be beat. The Surly Bridge Club is neato, but a bit above your price point. I would stay away from the dual sports. This is a pure conjecture but I would guess those forks will be a liability over time and use.

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysx View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, will think about it. Let me please ask a weird question: If I'm getting a "fitness" bike, does this mean I will lose more calories than if I was just riding a hybrid? The thing is, I'm quite skinny and I don't want to lose weight in case if the bicycle is meant to do it.
    Nah, it's just a style name. I honestly don't know why they call it a fitness bike. They are used regularly for commuting and riding around town.
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack