trek 820. trek 3700, or giant boulder? and why

clydesdale wizzard
    Nov 2009
    the fisher mako is pretty nice too

clydesdale wizzard
    Nov 2009
    this is just for light trail riding

mtbr member
    I think it is a toss up between the Trek 3700 and the Giant Boulder. The Giant gets the +1 just because it has a 8 speed cassette, and the Trek is only 7.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Hermit
    The Trek 820 is a tank for sure - that's what my starter bike was. I loved it but after a year had to get a new bike because I bent the built-in derailleur hanger one time too many. My wife has a new Trek 3700, which I've ridden a couple of times. Nice bike - lighter than the 820 for sure. My boy has a Giant Boulder - it's also a pretty nice bike, but I think it has the built in derailleur hanger as well (can't remember for sure, but I THINK...) All other things equal, you'd probably be better off with a removable derailleur hanger. I think that I'd pick the 3700 out of the three you mentioned.

Steve Z

Disclaimer: I am NOT a mtb expert.
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swampboy62
    The Trek 820 is a tank for sure - that's what my starter bike was. I loved it but after a year had to get a new bike because I bent the built-in derailleur hanger one time too many. My wife has a new Trek 3700, which I've ridden a couple of times. Nice bike - lighter than the 820 for sure. My boy has a Giant Boulder - it's also a pretty nice bike, but I think it has the built in derailleur hanger as well (can't remember for sure, but I THINK...) All other things equal, you'd probably be better off with a removable derailleur hanger. I think that I'd pick the 3700 out of the three you mentioned.

Steve Z

Disclaimer: I am NOT a mtb expert.

An often overlooked point , have to give the nod to the Trek on this point alone . If you break off a derailluer hanger on the others they become instant single speeds .

mtbr member
    Of those 3 I would say the boulder.....long as it is the boulder SE model.

mtbr member
    as a college student i was dealing with the same price range looking for a daily commuter and occasional trail, anyhow i went with an 09 Boulder SE. ive had it since september and so far everythings still working perfectly. only issues is the chain tension has loosened and i wouldnt mind some better brake pads but overall im surprised with its durability. i probably beat it up more than it should be on trails but its still solid. it was also the only bike at its price with double wall rims in the shop i went to. i dont have experience with the others but maybe this helps

clydesdale wizzard
    Nov 2009
    it says on the giant website that the boulder and boulder se have a 7 speed cassette

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hyde
    it says on the giant website that the boulder and boulder se have a 7 speed cassette
    I have been defeated by google search http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-au...in/2181/31861/ Thats what I was looking at. It appears on further inspection to be the Australian Version of the bike.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Members who have read this thread: 0