Chain repair 101 in the dark -FAIL-- Mtbr.com
    Formerly mtbnoobadam

No good Chain repair 101 in the dark -FAIL-

So today I got out on the trail a little late. I knew I only had about an hour and a half to ride so I picked a spot to turn around before I started that I knew I could make it to and back to the truck before it got too dark. Well...I realized today that I definately need to invest in a flashlight and a headlight for the bike. On the final climb my chain came off of the front sprocket. At first I was irritated because I had everything adjusted by a pro before I ever even took it out. Then with closer examination I noticed that one of the links had bent and was sticking out to the side. I've never seen that happen before. The chain is actually bent to the side in that spot. Well anyways it was almost completely dark but instead of just walking it up the hill and coasting down the other side to the truck I decided to try and fix it. That was a no go, that damn link is stuck like chuck, I actually broke the chain break tool I had trying to get the chain apart. So I ended up walking it up the hill and coasting down the other side to the truck. The only thing I can think that may have caused it was when a pretty large rock kicked up and hit the bike earlier in the ride. I didn't see where it hit but it hit pretty damn solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Picture Unrelated
    Most common cause of bent chain links is shifting under pressure. Bouncing rocks would have almost no opportunity to bend a steel chain that is suspended in mid air through most of its span. Not sure how to explain breaking your chain tool, but I would suggest getting a Park CT5 to keep in your pack.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It probably bent the chain tool because the link you were trying to press out was bent. In a situation like that, just break the chain one link away.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    and carry a powerlink. you could've been back on the trail within 5 mins.

Former Bike Wrench
    Powerlink, chain tool (or multi tool with chain breaker), and a small red LED light attached to your pack where you can find it in the dark. Red is good because it will not force your eyes to readjust to the dark after using it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d33pt
    and carry a powerlink. you could've been back on the trail within 5 mins.
    ^^^ This ^^^ And a few spare links from an old chain. If your chain doesn't come standard with a link, then carry two extra links so you can patch in a piece of chain if you really mangle it.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I had a chain tool and powerlink. The real problem was that the chain was pretty bent and I ended up busting my chain tool. I didn't think to take out the links around the broken/bent link because I wasn't sure if it would be ok. I guess the real moral to my story was that I need to start carrying a light.

I also went ahead and bought a better chain at the LBS and got some tips from the guys there on how to prevent it from happening again. So now I have some more knowledge and some extra chain to carry with me
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

Members who have read this thread: 0