Thread: Chain Question

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Chain Question

Hey all, just got done cleaning my chain. I put it back on but the link seems to be stiff. I can bend the link but when I let go it stays bent. One time around the whole drivetrain it straightens back up. But when going around the two small "wheels" just before the rear cogs (could someone give the correct term) it bends a little and the spring on the derailleur moves because of this. Is this something I should worry about this or will it break-in and be fine?

Ancient Winged Rider
    Sometimes sand gets in the chain where it bends. Reclean it and move the links around and it should loosen up the remaining sand. Hope that helps...

local trails rider
    You removed the chain and put it back together with a chain tool?

Probably the pin is not in exactly right. You could try pushing the pin one way or another with the chain tool, or just bend the chain sideways a few times to see if it settles.

If you plan to remove the chain frequently, it is best to get a SRAM powerlink or something similar, for easy removal.

Dirt Deviant
    How did you reassemble the chain? Did you use a SRAM quick link? Or did you use a new shimano pin? If you didn't use either of these (or something comparable) and you used the old link you popped out to take the chain apart, that is the problem. If you used the old pin do what Perftime said.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

RXL
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzi13
    when going around the two small "wheels" just before the rear cogs (could someone give the correct term)
    The lower is the "tension" pulley. The upper is the "guide" or "jockey" pulley.

Buy a $4 Powerlink (or KMC Missing Link) if you haven't already.
    good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I did use a chain tool with the old pin. I just may have to look into a SRAM quick link. Thanks again!

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    Its probably just a stiff link and just moving it around should loosen it up, also be careful replacing the pin if its not lined up exactly right it will get pushed out and you'll end up with a broke chain on the trail. Also if you get a SRAM powerlink chain you might want to get some master link pliers it make it a heck of a lot easier to get the chain off (in my experience regular pliers dont work).
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007

Pliers

Pliers!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I've always used my hands to get powerlinks on and off. I just put up with the grease.

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    really? the last couple of powerlinks that I've had were a real b!tch to get off by hand, one of them even took some gentle tapping with a rubber mallet
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    Wow, maybe I've been lucky. It usually takes some work, but it can be done.

Sir Hurt Locker
    If you take ur chain off regularly for cleaning it is really easy to open up the powerlink with your hands. The longer it stays intact the harder it is to get it apart.
    Cheers,

Seb

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    really? the last couple of powerlinks that I've had were a real b!tch to get off by hand, one of them even took some gentle tapping with a rubber mallet
    You must squeeze the two opposing sides of the powerlink towards each other then push the chain ends together to 'unhook' the powerlink. I've never used pliers or ever had an issue getting the link apart.

If it is full of dirt/sand then that would certainly cause the problem. Clean it more often

A wheelist
    You have Tight Link Syndrome. Here's how to fix it -

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=53
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilders with information and motivation.

Members who have read this thread: 0