Chain Cleaning System- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Chain Cleaning System

Anyone can recommend best way to clean the chain after riding dirt trails? I found this product (CG-2 Chain Gang Chain Cleaning System) at a lbs, is it worth getting?

http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-CG-2.../dp/B000WG6RVS

YOU SCRATHED MY BIKE!!!!
    so far ive read many reviews and seen videos and its supposedly good
    2010 Trek 4300
    WTB VelociRaptors

Flyin Pig
    I use it and it works well. Fairly easy to use if you follow the directions. You can use any degreaser pretty much with it - I started buying Pedro's Orange Peelz and using it in conjunction. Faster and easier than going over everything with a brush.

local trails rider
    I have a somewhat similar device and it works fine. Spilling some dirty degreaser is highly likely, so better use it outdoors.

Enthusiast
    Maybe I just tried the wrong brand, but I've not had luck with those chain-cleaning devices. Usually I wipe the chain with a rag. If it's really bad, I'll disconnect the chain and soak it in some solvent. I don't do the soak thing much these days though.

Picture Unrelated
    I too have used one of those devices with little luck. A bit of simple green and a rag will get you a long way. If it's really bad, WD-40 is a handy solvent. If you need a chain device to clean your chain then you may want to re-examine the way you are lubing your chain.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    That one, the Performance branded, the Pedros branded, machine all work great and are easy to get good results with. Remember to let the chain dry before you re-lube and have fun out there.

local trails rider
    I don't use mine much now that I am mainly on singlespeed bikes. But I use it when the chain on the derailered bike is dirty enough to need a more thorough cleaning. I am too lazy to take the chain completely off for soaking in degreaser....

mtbr member
    I've cleaned my chains every which way, including: simple lube and wipe, cleaner gizmos like the one you're considering, putting in a soda bottle of hot water + degreaser and shaking, and the ultimate, ultrasonic cleaning. Which is best? Well, it depends on how dirty it is and how clean you want to get it.

For winter and spring riding, when I use "wet" lubes, the chain accumulates a lot of crud between the link plates. The spinning brush gizmos (I've used several) are really good for getting that stuff out. In dryer weather, when I use "dry" lube, most cleanings are just a re-lube and wipe.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Members who have read this thread: 0