Carbon - ebay build or buy used- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Carbon - ebay build or buy used

So I have been toying around with the idea of buying one of the ebay type generic carbon HT frames and building it up as my winter project. I have never built a bike before and thought it would be fun. Expecting to come in around $1500-1750.

But then I saw a local ad in Craig's list for a 2008 Specialized Epic S-works (weight 22lbs) for $1950. Seems like a great deal. I haven't seen the bike yet but hopefully going to check it out tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

CS2
    mtbr member
    It's a lot of fun and a good learning experience to build your own bike. I've built several in the last four years. With that said, you could probabl get the Spec for less than he's asking. Which would make it the same or lower than the build option. Personally, I'd go for the Epic. Good luck on whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    Used carbon would be tough for me to buy. You just don't know if there is a crack your missing and most manufacturers won't cover this under warranty for second owners.

Might want to have a local shop take a look at it before your purchase if you go this route.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the input guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0