• 09-08-2011
    rjx
    Can't get the molding line to line up properly on the tire / rim
    So I removed the wheel for the first time, found the hole in the tube, patched it up.

I put one side of the bead into the rim, then put the tube (inflated enough to hold it's shape) inside the tire. I tucked the other side of the tire into the rim. Then inflated the tube a little more.

I can't get the molding line to line up evenly on each side of the tire. It looks fine for most of the tire, but then in one section the molding line is completely tucked into the rim. It looks like the tire in that area is curling under the tube.

I have been trying to wiggle it around with no luck. When I spin the wheel on the bike it wobbles around.

Any pointers?
  • 09-08-2011
    dubthang
    Use some soapy water on the bead of the tire and rim. This should allow the tire to pop into place as it's inflated.
  • 09-08-2011
    Abagaba
    Try deflating the tire and move it around on the rim. Put a little more air in and check it again. Repeat. Fill the tire to max pressure plus some to make sure the tire is seating properly on the rim. Deflate to normal pressure.
  • 09-08-2011
    theMeat
    Yep^ Inflate tire a bit past max, then deflate a bit past minimum and ride on flat surface a bit. Then it should be good at norm psi.
    I usually just way under inflate and roll the wheel on ground, off the bike, with some pressure, holding at axle, but some tire rim combos can be stuborn so the above should do the trick
  • 09-08-2011
    rockcrusher
    This is a sensitive procedure so do at your own risk:

with approx. 20psi in the tire, hold the tire off the bike with your hands at 10 and 2 (12 being closest to you) with the tucked tire bead location at the 6 position (furthest away from you) and on the side facing the ground. Smack the tire softly at first onto a grippy surface, impacting the tire at approximately 45 with the ground. Check the tire, if it hasn't popped on, try again a little harder. Repeat until the tire pops on.

You might have to experiment with the tire a bit to get this technique to work but if you have tight tires you might need to do this on the trail and this works well without all the pumping and deflating.

To help with this you can seat your tires with baby powder which again will allow it to work on the trail when you don't have a bottle of soapy water with you.

Finally check to make sure that the tube hasn't slipped under the tire bead somewhere around its circumference and is making the fit too small. You won't notice this until you ride a bit and the tube explodes then you will really notice this. If this is the case, lower the pressure to almost empty with just enough to keep the tire in shape and grip the tire where the tube is protruding and roll it back and forth. This should pull the tube back up inside.
  • 09-08-2011
    rjx
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I got it to work after the soapy water trick.

I'll keep in mind the other advice. Thanks again!
  • 09-08-2011
    gmcttr
    All of the "tire manipulation" methods given are unnecessary.

It's standard procedure to over inflate the tire to get the bead to pop into place. It usually happens between 50-60psi. A few stubborn tires may require the use of water or soapy water.
  • 09-08-2011
    dubthang
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rjx View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone!

I got it to work after the soapy water trick.

I'll keep in mind the other advice. Thanks again!

Glad it worked out for you.