cannondale F600- Mtbr.com

Thread: cannondale F600

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

cannondale F600

I am going to look at a bike tomorrow, its my first bike so I dont know much. I only look to spend about $300 on my first bike but want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck and end with a nice starter bike. The bike im going to look at is a Cannondale F600 CAD2. I know its an older bike and doesn't have the air shock but wasn't sure how good it would be.

Here is a link to the bike if anyone could give me some insight I would appreciate it
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/bik/2340260605.html

It's all about the FSR!
    That could be a pretty fun bike to ride. Give it a test, and if you like it, get it. Doesn't have to have an air shock up front or be dual suspension to have fun on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks a lot just want to make sure im not buying junk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thats an "early" cannondale.if you are over 5'6" it will be too small. I comfortably ride a large early frame caad3 f3000.
    Being the elastomer fork it will 100% need repaired by mendon cyclesmith from the forum here (only person in the world with repair parts) or replaced. Those forks sure from age alone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well im only 5'5" so size isnt the issue but if it sounds like im going to have to spend more $ on the bike than its worth or if its going to be a pain to have it worked on maybe I should look elsewhere?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If the fork is in otherwise good shape it probably won't be much more than 125-150 to have it tuned up and the spring and elastomer replaced.

Any used bike you buy will usually need the suspension overhauled or replaced.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well my only concern is if i spend another 125-150 thats 450 and i could buy a brand new cannondale for around 500. i guess thats where i dont know enough to make that decision. what do u think that F600 is worth?

Fat-tired Roadie
    $300 seems like a lot to spend on a bike that old. They're not junk, but brakes and suspension have come a very long way since the early '90s. (Give or take. Cantilever brakes weren't on mountain bikes anymore by the late '90s.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It's a 96. I'd pay about 100$ for it realistically. Tech has come a very long way since then. It has cantis!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    It is a decent starter bike, but I agree with the others it is over priced. Should be around $150 or so. I did a quick look and there might be some better options.

Unfortunately sellers on Craigs often don't know the true (low) value of their bikes. I have purchased two bikes recently on Craigs and got the sellers to lower their prices. I have 3 email addresses and I used the first two to place low ball offers (with reasons) to soften up the seller. After a few days I came in with the 3rd email address and got a fair price. Don't worry at what he is asking you are not going to lose the bike.

Formerly mtbnoobadam

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    It is a decent starter bike, but I agree with the others it is over priced. Should be around $150 or so. I did a quick look and there might be some better options.

Unfortunately sellers on Craigs often don't know the true (low) value of their bikes. I have purchased two bikes recently on Craigs and got the sellers to lower their prices. I have 3 email addresses and I used the first two to place low ball offers (with reasons) to soften up the seller. After a few days I came in with the 3rd email address and got a fair price. Don't worry at what he is asking you are not going to lose the bike.
    WOW! Mulitple emails. Thats such and awesome idea. I can't believe I never thought of that. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles
    That depends. Can you go fvck yourself?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    op...i wonder why you felt the need to start 3 separate threads about this very same bike?

in fact there seems to be an epidemic, like the guy that's got 4-5 threads going about his new c-dale comfort bike...

wtf is going on here lately?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    well it was the night before i was going to look at the bike and i was getting no replies or views so I made more than one thread to get a quick response

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    That's a good first bike....especially if the fork still works, for $150. A local Cannondale shop can rebuild the fork for under $100. Expect to keep the bike for about a year, once the trails become more demanding of suspension travel.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Members who have read this thread: 0