can someone point me to whree i can find the pros/cons of a 29er?- Mtbr.com
    Religion = Non-thinking

can someone point me to whree i can find the pros/cons of a 29er?

what are the pros/cons of a 29er bike? they usually have forks with less travel than their 26" counterpart. for riding around paved roads, whats better? what makes 29er's better on trails?
    RH SL Pro

Misses elastomer shocks
    pros:

roll faster
    roll easier
    more trendy

cons:

heavier
    smaller tire selection
    smaller wheel selection
    gear ratios are higher
    more trendy

remember, a 29'r is just a 700c wheel but fat. this is what has been used on the road for years. we are just adapting them to offroad use. bigger is more efficient at rolling but heavier. it is a trade off that you have to consider

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    From what I've been told, a 26 is more nibble as well. I spent a brief period of time on a 26 before getting a 29er so I couldn't really say wrt to the handling. I can attest to the rolling easier part, I have a much easier time with rocks, roots and logs on the 29er. Granted, I'm a total newb so take what you can from my feedback.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I don't think anyone will argue against the fact that 29ers maintain their speed better and help smooth out bumps a bit. IMO those are the main advantages.

Most 29er fans will acknowledge that 29ers are slower to accelerate, because of both heavier wheels and the larger wheel circumference. There are ways around this (like getting in better shape). IMO this is the main disadvantage.

People continue to argue whether or not 29ers handle/steer as well as 26ers. You will just have to ride some 29ers and figure this out on your own. Personally, I thought the Gary Fisher 29er that I rode was one of the sharpest handling bikes I've ever ridden; 26 inch or 29 inch.

I'm assuming you are asking this question because you are considering buying a 29er. The simple solution is to test ride a few 29ers (as with 26" bikes, don't ride one bike and assume all will feel the same); you will be able to tell if you like the big hoops or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A note on the handling. It depends on the company. The GF G2 stuff, I think, is great, very quick and responsive, as much so as a 26. But others have found the G2 stuff to be "twitchy" and too responsive. Decide for yourself. Get out and ride some demos.

Old man on a bike
    Or you could take the middle route between 26 and 29 and join the 650b movement!
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPar View Post
    A note on the handling. It depends on the company. The GF G2 stuff, I think, is great, very quick and responsive, as much so as a 26. But others have found the G2 stuff to be "twitchy" and too responsive. Decide for yourself. Get out and ride some demos.
    I was pretty happy with the handling of my Mamba.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just keep in mind that a lot of older 29ers had geometry issues...and it's not fair to compare an older poorly designed 29er to a proven 26 build. I think it's best to test ride as many bikes as possible instead of going off online reviews. At this point I think it's more personal preference then anything...but it seems like the industry is heading towards 650b and 29 inch wheels. If you look at different companies new bikes, most have gone 29 for all XC bikes. 26 and 650b for all mtn/dh/gravity riding.

I'm a huge fan of 29ers mostly because they just feel better for my riding style. Might be because I'm on the taller side at 6'1 or because I'm into XC riding these days. Either way, it makes the ride more enjoyable for me. With that said..if i was looking for a shuttle or all mtn bike..I'd def try 650b. 29er for XC/trail and 26-650b for anything more.

mtbr member
    The owner of a LBS pointed out the other day how many manufacturers were dropping more and more 26in wheeled bikes every year. Jamis, KHS, Santa Cruz....ect
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    sorry to be "that guy," but there are dozens of threads on this topic, whole websites about it, and nearly every bicycling magazine does a "29 vs 26" article every six months or so. just google "26 vs 29" and you will find tons and tons of arguments about it. to say anything further about it at this point is to beat a dead horse.

****** to the dirt
    ahh just test ride each and what ever you find more comfortable is the one you get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    In the end it really doesn't matter. Find a 26er or a 29er that you like and ride the heck out of it. In the end if you are happy with your bicycle, thats all that matters.

Or do what many of us have.

Buy one of each!! The correct number of bicycles to have is n+1

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i rode a 29r the other weekend at a local park, the turnning was more complicated than my 26 but the 29er rode over obstecals with ease. its all up to preference owever id say to ride both, or go to a Demo

Merendon Junkie
    The OP started this thread 3 years ago. Just sayin'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I was pretty happy with the handling of my Mamba.
    Well played sir.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey all, first time poster, long time lurker. Thought I'd ask my question here. Moving up from an entry level 2007 Diamondback Outlook Hardtail XC. Been looking at used, specifically an 2009 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er:

Frame & Fork
    Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Platinum Series 6066 aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model RockShox Tora Race Solo Air 29er, 80mm travel
    Fork Material Single crown
    Rear Shock Not applicable

Components
    Component Group Unspecified
    Brakeset Avid BB-5 w/160mm rotor brakes, Avid levers
    Shift Levers SRAM X.5
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
    Crankset Shimano M442, 22/32/44 teeth
    Pedals Wellgo LU-216A
    Bottom Bracket Unspecified
    BB Shell Width Unspecified
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 34 teeth
    Chain Unspecified
    Seatpost Bontrager SSR, 27.2mm diameter
    Saddle Bontrager Race
    Handlebar Bontrager Big Sweep OS
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Bontrager SSR
    Headset 1 1/8" Semi integrated

Wheels
    Hubs Shimano M475
    Rims Bontrager Ranger Disc 29er, 32-hole
    Tires 29 x 2.10" Bontrager XDX 29"
    Spoke Brand Unspecified
    Spoke Nipples Unspecified

Thinking about new as well, specifically a Felt Nine 60 (have a Z85 road bike and love it).

Sizes:
    29" x XS(14"), S(16"), M(18"), L(20"), XL(22")
    Weight:
    31.94lbs
    Frame:
    FELT Nine series 29'er frame, double butted 6061 aluminum w/ Tapered head tube, Hydroform top tube and seat stays: IS disc mounts, oversized integrated head tube for semi-integrated headset, replaceable derailleur hanger , rack & fender mount, disc brake specific. Standard 73mm bottom bracket, 135mm old, 30.9mm seatpost size, 35mm front derailleur clamp
    Shock:
    Fork:
    Rockshox XC30 TK 29 Taper 100mm travel: 29'er fork, tapered alloy steerer tube, spring preload adjust, external rebound and turnkey lockout, magnesium lowers, post disc mount. (80mm fork on 14" offering)
    Headset:
    Semi-Integrated 1-1/8"/1.5" Aheadset for tapered Head tube: Steel cups, caged bearings, w/ Felt Tornado alloy top cap, custom curved 1 x 15mm + 2 x 5mm straight washers

I think I can pick up the GF for between $550 - 600. I found a demo Felt for $750. Problem is that the Felt is a 16" which fits me perfectly (I'm 5'6", 29" inseam) while the GF is a17.5. The GF is about 1 1/2 hours from me but the seller has arranged to meet me 1/2 way n 2 - 3 weeks but I would hate to have the guy waste his time. I thought about checking out the new Cobia's for a comparison but not sure if Trek has made big changes to the geometry since 09'. I really like what the Cobia has to offer and the price is definitely right. Thoughts? Suggestions? Help!

Cow Clicker
    Post in some stickies and get enough posts to start your own thread. You won't get much attention here.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Oh my, now people are resurrecting 26 vs 29 threads lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My old 26 felt more nimble and felt alot easier to control. My 29er is def. way faster and climbs better. But it doesn't feel quite as nimble. But I haven't rode it as much as my 26 and the geometry is different. You really just need to ride them and create out own opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by 50calray View Post
    Oh my, now people are resurrecting 26 vs 29 threads lol
    And people are responding too!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    29ers suck the fun out of mountain biking and crush your soul. 26ers make you awesome. I thought this was common knowledge by now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    29ers suck the fun out of mountain biking and crush your soul. 26ers make you awesome. I thought this was common knowledge by now?
    I haven't been mountain biking long....but I bet people said this about suspension when it started becoming popular.

Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    for riding around on pavement/paved roads a road bike or cyclocross bike is better than an MTB.
    Last edited by dirtdan; 01-25-2013 at 12:59 PM.

****** to the dirt
    this should end the argument------ what ever bike that fits, more comfortable and the one you think is more fun is the one to get. It doesn't really matter whether or not it is a 29er, 650b or 26er, once you are riding it you will get used to it and have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    After getting back into bikes after a 20 year hiatus, I'm going through the same debate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i have also doubt on getting for my first bike.. don't know which one is better

Members who have read this thread: 0