Thread: Can I fix this?

mtbr member

Can I fix this?

My freewheel is shot, I pedal but it just spins and doesn't move forward. It's nor a cassette style. Can you remove a freewheel or am I looking at a new hub?

mtbr member
    Perhaps a good cleaning of the ratchet system will fix your problems. Have you opened the hub to see what is wrong?

mtbr member
    I don't have the tools to do it.....yet

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    Every once in a while this happens to a buddy's bike. Assuming there's nothing that it might harm, I just pump 'er full of non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner, let it evaporate out for a while, lightly grease everything, and it'll work like new

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    My freewheel is shot, I pedal but it just spins and doesn't move forward. It's nor a cassette style. Can you remove a freewheel or am I looking at a new hub?
    sounds like you need a new freewheel. msot are hard to disassemble and clean, some it's not too bad. your hub should be fine as it just has threads, all the bearings and such (for the gears at least) are in the freewheel.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Probably drunk right now

Questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Funrover
    Does this happen when you're riding in cold weather and then resolve itself in warmer weather? Or is it all the time?

I agree w markf. Replace the freewheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Does this happen when you're riding in cold weather and then resolve itself in warmer weather? Or is it all the time?

I agree w markf. Replace the freewheel.
    All of the time, and I am going to replace the freewheel.. hopefully that does it

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If it's a spin-on freewheel, the hub has nothing to do with it. Most likely the freewheel is dead. Remove and replace it. If you dodn't have the tool, bring the wheel only to the LBS & they should do it for a small cost. Don't invest in a f/w remover unless you plan to replace it with the same brand.

If you want to try a last ditch salvage attempt, soak the freewheel in solvent in a pan for a long time, agitating it once in a while. If it comes back to life, dry it thoroughly, and run light oil into it to re-lube.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Prone To Internet Drama
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    If it's a spin-on freewheel, the hub has nothing to do with it. Most likely the freewheel is dead. Remove and replace it. If you dodn't have the tool, bring the wheel only to the LBS & they should do it for a small cost. Don't invest in a f/w remover unless you plan to replace it with the same brand.

If you want to try a last ditch salvage attempt, soak the freewheel in solvent in a pan for a long time, agitating it once in a while. If it comes back to life, dry it thoroughly, and run light oil into it to re-lube.
    Get a new freewheel/ cog. Its a thread on, most different brands require a different tool to remove them, and often you need a bench mounted vice to hold the tool. I would recommend taking the wheel to a LBS and have them remove it, our old shop used to charge $5. to do it. Then buy a new cog and screw it on the hub... easy as that. Dont even think about rebuilding, it's totally not worth it.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    if you brought me the wheel and bought a new freewheel from me, i'd do the labor for free. it takes maybe 5 mins.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Probably drunk right now

Sooooooo.......

Quote Originally Posted by markf
    if you brought me the wheel and bought a new freewheel from me, i'd do the labor for free. it takes maybe 5 mins.

Buy a sixer of a good beer (Guinness is a great default) and bring it to your LBS. Ask them to help you with this right at closing. You'll learn, you'll make a friend and you'll be hooking up your local wrench.

Members who have read this thread: 0