mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Caannondale F3 pedals

The pedals that come with the bike are Wellgo pedals (lu-c25). I want a cage to put my foot in (not into the shoes and clips) and have no idea what to get. Would a cage fit on these pedals or do I need new ones? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

AKA Dr.Nob
    You'll need to replace the pedals.
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you don't want clipless or platform pedals...I recommend PowerGrips, they work much better than clips and straps. I've been using clipless myself since 1995 but before that, this is what I ran and they worked way better than the toe clips

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    So I've been thinking, say if I was interested in getting clipless pedals. Which ones, which shoes are good? I was looking at the Shimano XTR PDm970. Like what was said about them and think they would look good on the bike. Now what about shoes? I'm new to these types of pedals so I was looking at Adidas (my usual sneakers). They make a few that are "compatible with SPD type pedal systems" which the XTR's are. Are all shoes SPD compatible? Take the Adidas El Moro '08-on Bike Nash Bar they have them in my size (13) but it doesn't say they are compatible with SPD type pedals...
    Thanks for all the info.

Former Bike Wrench
    The XTR pedals are an excellent choice, I ran their predecessor (the 959) for many trouble free years. The PDm540 and 520 are a similar design (and function) but less money if that is a concern.

As far as shoes, I've never used Adidas myself but the El Moro is indeed SPD compatible. I've had the best luck with Shimano and Diadora shoes over the years. Pretty much all mountain shoes designed for clipless are SPD (two bolt) compatible these days.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks again. I ordered the XTR pedals, adidas shoes (always wear their sneakers...) and cleats. I did some research on here and read good things about the XTR's. Should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Keep pedaling...
    Apr 2008
    Do you need specific shoes for clipless pedals?

I heard they come with cleats that can go on any shoe. Obviously specific shoes would be better, as with any sport, but if you're just starting out can you get by on a good pair of hikers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626
    Do you need specific shoes for clipless pedals?

I heard they come with cleats that can go on any shoe. Obviously specific shoes would be better, as with any sport, but if you're just starting out can you get by on a good pair of hikers?
    Unfortunately, yes - they have to be clipless compatible. They can generally go on any SPD-compatible shoe. You need a shoe with a very stiff sole, or a reinforced sole with the mounting provisions for the cleat to screw into.

The good news is that you can get into an inexpensive pair of clipless compatible shoes - closeouts and special deals are all over the internet dealers. It's a bonus that you're not destroying your favorite running shoes or hikers in mud water and whatever else you can get into. Problem is that you have to remember to take your bike shoes with you when you go ride. I'm not the only person to drive to the trailhead and realize my clipless shoes were still sitting @ home.

Members who have read this thread: 0