Buying first full suspension mountain bike, need some advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Buying first full suspension mountain bike, need some advice!

Alright, so I don't exactly know where to post this, but I see people are discussing with each other about what bike should they buy. So I ran in to the same problem. I've seen a bunch of post for used bikes. Some are expensive, or not in my town. I have found this! VOTEC, not a popular (at least for me) brand, and seller is offering me his used bike, wich looks kind of alright, has a FOX rear shock, dual crown front fork, hydraulic disc brakes, Schwalbe Albert tires, Sram x9 rear mech. I think it might be a little heavy, but I don't mind. Seller asks for 640.00 USD, wich is alright for me. Question is, is it worth? Picture of a bike
    Buying first full suspension mountain bike, need some advice!-votec-93156853.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bike blue book,bikepedia for info. Fit and condition is the question .

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yeah, I tried that, but I haven't figured out the model of bicycle. All I know is VOTEC

Fat-tired Roadie
    Funky looking thing. What kind of riding do you do?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Kind of agressive. Not really a downhill, but some jumps

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    When looking at a used dual-susp bike (with no warentee)...the first thing I'd search for is availability of parts that are specific to that bike, such as the frame bushings. If those aren't easy to get your hands on, you basically have a disposable bike. The Votec is decent quality, but I'd say, not a remarkable deal. Also, I like a frame configuration that allows me to carry a smallish frame-bag for tools,etc. Craigslist is a good source for the occasional, super-deal....even if you have to go to the expense for example, of upgrading from V-brakes to disc (have to change even the wheelsets)...but you can take your time with that.) The underlying bike is crucial investment. I got an awesome Specialized FSR on CL for $275~~!! I'm in love~!
    PS...note....I just joined here and simply cannot find any way to create a new post. I hope you can message me and help me out. Many thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just checked craigslist, and theres no one where I live (lithuania). I thought there might be some in UK, but in Edinburgh, seems also nothing. <- My dad lives here btw

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you try that bike on trails before you commit?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Not really. trails are about 25km from my place.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I know nothing about that bike. The suspension style is pretty old fashioned, but a lot of people still like their single-pivot bikes and they're still being manufactured, so I don't want to say anything categorical about them, especially since I'm not really a downhiller.

Maybe Google can tell you something useful.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I actually asked on this forum just because of this suspension style. It looks interesting, as I never owned a dual suspension bike. I've seen a lot of rear suspension styles, for example FSR, Maestro, Brain technology. But I haven't chance to try any of these, except FSR. I kinda liked it for jumps, but for soft ride it's pretty much useless. The rear gets way too soft, and I had struggles for climbing.

T.W.O.
    Stick with Used big brands, and the suspension designs you know. Look for Giant or Spech. Buy it once, especially when you are using it for jumping. It does not take much to get ugly fast and sends you into the world of hurt.
    Last edited by mimi1885; 03-07-2014 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's absolutely true!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    like any vehicle...car, motorcycle...every machine has it personality, so to speak. After buying one bike I discovered that I didn't like the feel of, once it shipped from a long way off.... I learned my lesson. I especially wouldn't buy a bike I'd never ridden, and it's good enough to ride the same model that exists somehow, close-by.That's alot've denaros to toss at something you don't know how it feels. The weirdest part of your situation is that this is your first dual-susp, so you really don't have anything to compare the ride to. Maybe start off with a less expensive bike and thrash that one good, learning to ride the dirt. Best of luck in your search and learning.