buying first bike on ebay- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

buying first bike on ebay

I found a great deal on a "Santa Cruz Juliana", though it doesn't have pedals. What do you think about buying a bike on ebay/any other tips.
    Thanks.

What could go wrong ...
    main thing to know is does it fit you
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Whoa, nice bike. Make sure it's the right size for you, make sure there are no cracks at all on any part of the body. Pedals are cheap and easy to install. Make sure the seller knows what they're doing and that the bike has been taken care of well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Starting bid only .01, ends in 6 days. It does say the frame was replaced in 2007 under warranty, and the new frame has 500 miles.

Here are other specs-I really don't know what it all means:

HeFork: Fox 100R
    Shock: Fox Float R
    Wheel set: brand new with less than 200 miles on them. XT hubs / No Tubes ZT Arch tubeless rims / Kenda Small Block tubeless tires
    Headset: Chris King
    Stem: Thompson
    Bars: Race Face Evolve XC
    Shifters: LX Mega 9
    Brakes: Hayes HFX Nine hydraulic
    Saddle: Terry Butterfly
    Cranks: XT (middle and small ring with a bash guard)
    Pedals: Not included
    Front der: LX
    Rear der: XT

What could go wrong ...
    does it say what size the frame is ... if not contact the seller and ask them

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    it just says "L" and aluminum?
    How do you know what size frame to get?

What could go wrong ...
    sounds like you should go to a bike shop and get fitted before you spend any money on a bike sight unseen ... Large frames are usually for someone around 6' +

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks. I am 5'7; I didn't realize this. There is so much I don't know.

29 and Single
    Oct 2009
    Lots of the auctions start at $0.01. The price rises significantly in the last 2 days of the auction and they could have a reserve on it. It's always exciting to find that item that should cost $1000 on an auction for $3, but it doesn't last.

Definitely contact the seller and get lots of pics of the bike and of any dents or large scratches. If you can, casually find out what they were using it for. They may or may not be truthful, but its free to ask. Before you go any further, go get fitted and make sure you can ride a large. It doesn't do you any good to get a bike that doesn't fit, or try to make it fit after the fact.
    Some days you eat the bar, some days the bar eats you.

Fat-tired Roadie
    +1 fit. I think that someone who's been riding bikes for a while and has one that fits them can buy another bike of the same type online with a reasonable chance of getting something that fits. But you'd better figure out what size you ride before you spend any money. I'd expect that bike to sell for several hundred, although I can't say I watch EBay very closely lately.

The "magic number" you're looking for is the horizontal or effective top tube length. It's the horizontal length from the center of the head tube where it intersects the top tube to the center of the seat post.

Almost everything else in trying to fit a bike is malleable enough to make it work - saddles can be raised and lowered, spacers can be subtracted, higher-angle stems are available, etc. But if the top tube is the wrong length, you can't make a bike fit without ruining the handling, or sometimes not even then.

A bike shop can help you figure out this stuff, although some may be a little grumpy about it if you're not planning to buy a bike from them. (Just tell them that you'll have to come back for assembly and tuning and to buy all the higher profit margin stuff involved in mountain biking.) You can also just ride a bunch of friends' bikes and measure the ETT on the ones you like.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for all the responses. I contacted 2 local bike shops and am going this weekend to check them out and figure out the frame issue-I have one more question. What is the difference between Fuji and Giant bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geographergal
    Thanks for all the responses. I contacted 2 local bike shops and am going this weekend to check them out and figure out the frame issue-I have one more question. What is the difference between Fuji and Giant bikes?
    Whats the difference between coke and pepsi?

Giant and Fuji are thought of as a good brand around here. But, it always depends on what model you are looking at.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Come on man, what kind of question is that...

They're two different companies that have their own good and bad products. Did you mean overall build quality? Customer Support? Quality vs Price?

Good luck with that Santa Cruz bike, hope you get a good deal on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    overall build quality. I just want a good investment for a very inexperienced beginner like myself. I would like to be able to bike to work, around town, and still experience local trails and nearby state parks.
    the santa cruz is out for me-it is getting a ton of bids, price is escalating, and there are still5 days left.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Starting bid only .01, ends in 6 days.
    It's already been said but it deserves to be reiterated. Many, if not most auctions start at 1 cent. That is because the seller then pays less listing fees and it enables the auction to receive more bids before reaching it's actual value, and thus the appearance of more interest. It WILL wind up close to the real resale market value by the end of the auction, as said in the last 24-48 hours.

Don't get too upbeat about any one item for auction because there's almost always someone else out there willing to spend more. My advice to you is pick the maximum amount you are willing to spend on that bike and DO NOT go over it no matter how excited you are about it. Otherwise you may wind up spending more than it's worth.

Good luck to you!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Check with the bike shops you're shopping at as to what kind of warranty the bikes come with. Touch the bikes, give them a squeeze, see how they feel. Ride a few if you have to. Personally I've always thought Fuji was a camera film company before I went bike shopping. Giant though I've heard about so that would be my choice.

Think about your purchase 2 years in the future, will you still be happy with it, or will you want something better? Will you be regretting that you didn't spend $300 more to get "the one you wanted but couldn't afford" ? Save up if you have to and get what you want.

Fat-tired Roadie
    overall build quality. I just want a good investment for a very inexperienced beginner like myself. I would like to be able to bike to work, around town, and still experience local trails and nearby state parks.
    IMHO, the nicest hardtail with a price tag you can stomach is a great starting point. Fuji and Giant will both deliver a little better value on the components than many other brands. Giant seems to be making some pretty serious frames for their higher-end bikes now too, and their full-suspension bikes are well-regarded. People on this forum frequently talk about their first bikes as though they go into buying them with the idea that they'll replace them; I think it's better to buy a bike with the idea that you'll have it as long as you want a bike in that class. I've had one of my bikes for ten years, and it was the first road bike I bought; when I bought my Hardrock, I thought I'd replace it if I ever got into racing, and it's now got a few dozen races under its belt and more coming up.

As long as you're at a bike shop pricepoint, none of the frames are really going to be garbage, although whether or not the components are worthwhile at any given pricepoint is subject to endless debate.

Every bike is just different enough that some may particularly gel with you and some might leave you underwhelmed. So if you can ride a whole lot of bikes, not just Giants and Fujis, you'll probably get a little better fit. It's also worth trying some women's specific bikes, especially if you have relatively longer legs and shorter reach than a man your height.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0