Bumpy rocky rooted trails+ hardtail=skipping gears?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Bumpy rocky rooted trails+ hardtail=skipping gears?

Is there somthing i can do to prevent this. Tires were low enough that i though i could feel them hitting the rims now and again.

But this trail was so bumpy and my bike was making so much noise it was embareassing not to mention that it jumped gears a couple times. Jumped right back to the right gear right after, but still slowed me down. It was hard keeping up the the FS bikes I was riding with.

Any adjustments i can do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hmmm... Your chain may be too slack. You could shift to a higher gear or shorten the chain if necessary Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Chain Length Sizing. If you can feel the rims hit, you should add more air. What pressure are you running now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Is there somthing i can do to prevent this. Tires were low enough that i though i could feel them hitting the rims now and again.

But this trail was so bumpy and my bike was making so much noise it was embareassing not to mention that it jumped gears a couple times. Jumped right back to the right gear right after, but still slowed me down. It was hard keeping up the the FS bikes I was riding with.

You can put a chain guide on the bike with the help of a ISCG adaptor if your frame doesn't have tabs, but FS is the long term anwser.

turtles make me hot
    The only thing I can think to suggest is going to a wider rim like the Salsa Gordo and adding a higher volume tire. Also, tighten up on the derailler tension and maybe remove a couple of links on your chain.
    I like turtles

Picture Unrelated
    There isn't much you can do to get your bike better at this sort of thing without spending money. Most obvious is to make sure you aren't in the small chainring when you enter the rough stuff. After that, shortening the chain or adding B tension can both mess up the way your bike shifts, so I wouldn't recommend that without knowing what you're doing.

Slap a chainstay protector on and if it's still bothering you, get rid of the big ring put on a bashguard and shorten the chain to an appropriate length for a two ring setup. After that, you're looking at chainguide territory.

Also; pump your tires back up so that you don't hit your rims anymore. That's not the way to solve this problem. Maybe higher volume tires could help but that depends on what your frame will fit and what volume your tires currently are.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post

This is why people say that riding a hard tail will make you a better rider...

You have to learn how to ride the bike smoothly, popping the rear wheel over and around obstacles...

A FS bike allows you to be fair less careful about doing this than a hard tail...

So buckup ride hard and learn how to control your bike better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    where do you ride?

Class Clown
    What rims/tires do you ride and at what PSI?

Chain length - Add 2 links with the chain on both the largest sprocket and the largest chainring. (without going through the rear derailleur).

How old is your rear derailleur? It is possible to adjust an internal spring to increase tension (you can see pics on parktool's site). In fact take a good look at their rear derailleur adjustments as it's a necessary skill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Tires much have been around 25-to 30 . It was only on parts i mesed up on the i thought i felt the rim.
    Im 175lb so not to hard on the tires. Already have a home made chain stay. It was a fast trail and i may have been near the bottom of the rings and i have always wondered if the chain is to long, seems to have a lot of side to side play in it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Shift into your big ring/big cog combination. You should still have a little bit of slack being taken up by the rear derailleur, but not much at all.

Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Chain Length Sizing

The most important thing you can do has already been mentioned - ride in a bigger chain ring. (And pump up your tires. You're going to make mistakes, it's just a matter of time until you get a pinch flat if you ride them so soft you bottom a lot.)
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Make sure your stuff is clean!

I was having the problem with mine and the cable had a little too much slack in it. Tightened the barrel adjuster a click or two and the problem went away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Many things can cause skipping gears. Here are some that may help you figure it out. Sometimes it's a combination of things - nothing is bad enough on its own, but when you combine several there is a problem.

- new chain on old cassette - if you just changed your chain and your cassette is worn, it will skip
    - improper adjustment of derailleur
    - derailleur cable issues that make the derailleur cable sticky (burrs, freying, dirt inside housing, etc.)
    - shifter issues/problems
    - chain length
    - dirt
    - teeth missing or very worn on cassette
    - bent derailleur hanger
    - broken derailleur

The Punk Hucker
    The trails around here are extra rooty so I know exactly what you are talking about and really there isn't much that can be done about it. In fact the best solution is to keep pedaling to keep the chain tensioned but this is often easier said than done. Riding smoother is also a good approach but there are many portions of trails where this is impossible because of the amount of roots, spread wheel length apart, they really kill your momentum!

I'm all hears for anybody with a solution on how to better handle such conditions!
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    I'm all hears for anybody with a solution on how to better handle such conditions!
    Go back to an 8-speed drivetrain. The wider spacing between the rear cogs makes it harder for the chain to jump off in the bumpy stuff. This is part of why I still run an 8-speed drivetrain on my bikes, it can handle more abuse with less maintenance than a 9 or 10-speed setup.

Or you could go all the way and singlespeed it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Liked pissed off said, keep pedaling. This will also make it harder for the other riders to drop you.

Chubby Chaser
    Are you using your legs as "suspension"? That's very important especially for a hard tail. Not only will it make you go faster but you'll also put a lot less stress on your bike.

mtbr member
    Go SS. never drop a chain again

Woot for 100th post

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think im pretty good at soaking up what i can. The bike is only 3 months old so as far as worn out parts go, i think they are ok. But it could use a good cleaning and relube. I will try the big ring, that makes good sence.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    If your chain had a lot of side play in it, check the stretch on it. 3 months of dirt riding can easily kill a chain, and if you arent careful the cassette too.

The Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Go back to an 8-speed drivetrain. The wider spacing between the rear cogs makes it harder for the chain to jump off in the bumpy stuff. This is part of why I still run an 8-speed drivetrain on my bikes, it can handle more abuse with less maintenance than a 9 or 10-speed setup.

Or you could go all the way and singlespeed it.
    I don't have a problem with the chain skipping, I have a problem with the momentum I lose...
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    We have similar conditions here in south Florida, I recommend keeping your pedaling consistant and also lifting your front wheel over bigger roots and rocks. This helps you keep your momentum and helps your rear wheel roll over the roots better.
    2011 Cannondale Trail SL3
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy DXC