Bulls and cows- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bulls and cows

mtbr member

Bulls and cows

Hello all,
    I have been riding a trail out at Harvey Bear in San Martin (Coyote Creek). There are sections of the trail that have free roaming cattle. I normaly ride out there by myself so I was wondering do I need to worry about Bulls charging me or trying to attack me on my ride. I am usually out there alone and there are few people that go beyond the cattle gates.

Thank you!

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wideside66
    Hello all,
    I have been riding a trail out at Harvey Bear in San Martin (Coyote Creek). There are sections of the trail that have free roaming cattle. I normaly ride out there by myself so I was wondering do I need to worry about Bulls charging me or trying to attack me on my ride. I am usually out there alone and there are few people that go beyond the cattle gates.

Thank you!
    We don't get many cattle questions around here...

Let's just say I'd feel somewhat uneasy riding there, I'd either try and find another trail, or not go past the cattle gates.

Bat Fastardson
    We've got cows all over the hills here in Contra Costa Cownty, and I've never heard of anyone being gored.
    We do lose a jogger to a cougar every other Spring or so.

mtbr member
    There are no warning signs up there and I haven't heard of any Bull attacks either. Maybe the most danger will be the cow patties.

MTB'er in Training
    Dec 2006
    Nothin' beats fallin' head first into a nice hot cow patty!! haha
    "Havin' a good time, here today...Watching the sun shine, matinee...Never the wrong time, time we stay...Living the moontime, time we play"

Currently in Exile
    I live in North Dakota, and cattle are part of the program here. The only time that you need to be at all concerned around them is when they have new calves in the herd. Even then they usually just get out of the way.

Be sure to slow down a bit when you see the cattle on or near the trail. Make some noise so that they know you are coming. They will head off in another direction.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We have free range cattle.

I zoomed a corner and came face to face with a big bull. He just looked at me, and kept on munching. The trail was narrow so I had to yell at him, a couple of times. He moved out of the way and all was good.

Point is free range cattle like to eat, and since no one is there to irritate and scare them (like in a rodeo), the are very passive.

mtbr member
    I do a local ride with cattle on it quite regularly. I don't think I've seen any bulls out there but for the other cows I just say "yip yip" or something like a cowboy on TV would say and they usually just look up and walk off the trail.

mtbr member
    Cool, Thanks guys.
    I didnít think there would be a problem, But when they all start to stare at you its makes you question it the first time.
    The Hindus seem to get along with them pretty good, I guess I will be fine.

I ran across a pack of wild mutt dogs one time on a BMX bike way out in the country a long time ago. They were all mixed like Chows, Poodles, Sheppard's and whatever else.

That was scary, One of the little cute dogs came out first, so we stopped to check him out. Then all of a sudden a bunch of growling foaming dogs surrounded me and my friend. It was at the top of a big hill so we just turned around and hauled it down the hill.
    The adrenalin was definitely good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I used to live and ride in...

South Dakota, free range cattle was pretty much on the program for most rides. Most ranchers will keep the bulls and the cows separate after mating. They are pretty specific about what cows they want bread and those they do not. And most won't free range a breeder bull, to valuable. Most of the bulls you'll see free ranged are steerers (neutered), and not agressive. There's always the exception, but very rare. For the most part just ride carefully, running into a cow at 20mph on a screaming downhill blind corner WILL hurt!!! (you not the cow!) Just make noise so they know you're around and you probably won't have any problems. Just remember that due to size and weight they DO have the righ of way on the trail! And ALWAYS use caution around them. They are animals and as such can be UNPREDICATABLE!!! And as Frozenspokes noted, when there are calves in the mix it's best to use EXTRA caution. Mama cows can get a little pissed if they think you are molesting Junior. Nothing really to worry about, just be aware and act accordingly.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"